Author Topic: Trade Deadline Rumors and Deals Thread  (Read 53232 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Rumors and Deals Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 07, 2019, 04:11:27 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Danny...didn't....panic.   

Again.
He also sat back and watched the 3 biggest challenges in the conference all get better and simultaneously didn't drop the team below the luxury tax.  I'd give this trade deadline a solid F.
Of course you would.

But I guess making a deal just for the sake of making a deal would have satisfied you?

What could he have done without sacrificing his AD plan?

Ainge accomplished the 2 things he really wanted to do this trade deadline: 1. Trade Bird and open up a roster spot for a buyout guy to use the MLE on and 2. He now has a legit shot at AD in the summer.

« Reply #361 on: February 07, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Danny...didn't....panic.   

Again.
He also sat back and watched the 3 biggest challenges in the conference all get better and simultaneously didn't drop the team below the luxury tax.  I'd give this trade deadline a solid F.
Eh? That makes no sense. All that says is he has confidence that we are still able to compete. We are the most unique team in the East

« Reply #362 on: February 07, 2019, 04:11:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Danny...didn't....panic.   

Again.

Of course you do.
I do expect the team to be active in the buyout market where improvement may come (I actually like the potential of adding someone like Kanter).  But it is hard to get a grade better than F when you don't do anything and your rivals all get better (and trading Bird isn't doing anything since it didn't drop the team below the tax line, he hasn't been around, and no player came back for him).  I would have at least liked to have seen some effort being made to trade players that had no real shot at being in a Davis trade this summer (i.e. Rozier, Morris, or Baynes), especially when there were players out there that could have helped or the team at least could have dropped below the tax line (which I do think was important for a team that realistically might not get out of the 2nd round - delaying the repeater tax year is huge). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #363 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Feel like the rest of this season is just not as important with all the stuff that is going to take place in a few months.

Maybe they think they have the horses to win the east now, but I think there are some holes on this team and some guys that are just not living up to expectations.

« Reply #364 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Danny...didn't....panic.   

Again.

Of course you do.
I do expect the team to be active in the buyout market where improvement may come (I actually like the potential of adding someone like Kanter).  But it is hard to get a grade better than F when you don't do anything and your rivals all get better (and trading Bird isn't doing anything since it didn't drop the team below the tax line, he hasn't been around, and no player came back for him).  I would have at least liked to have seen some effort being made to trade players that had no real shot at being in a Davis trade this summer (i.e. Rozier, Morris, or Baynes), especially when there were players out there that could have helped or the team at least could have dropped below the tax line (which I do think was important for a team that realistically might not get out of the 2nd round - delaying the repeater tax year is huge).

If management and ownership didn't prioritize dropping below the tax, why are some posters so obsessed with it?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #365 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Danny...didn't....panic.   

Again.

Of course you do.

Well played Donoghus. I am not surprised by this post in the least either. Very predictable.

« Reply #366 on: February 07, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Feel like the rest of this season is just not as important with all the stuff that is going to take place in a few months.

Maybe they think they have the horses to win the east now, but I think there are some holes on this team and some guys that are just not living up to expectations.

The good news is that they still have two months to figure it out. 

Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  But what we're seeing right now is far from the finished project and one thing we do know is that this team does show another gear when it comes to meaningful games.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #367 on: February 07, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The immediate issue is whether the Celtics players feel that way.

« Reply #368 on: February 07, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

The immediate issue is whether the Celtics players feel that way.

That is what I was getting at...the noise about Tatum getting traded, etc is only going to get louder.

« Reply #369 on: February 07, 2019, 04:19:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Danny...didn't....panic.   

Again.

Of course you do.

If management and ownership didn't prioritize dropping below the tax, why are some posters so obsessed with it?
Because you see time and time again what the luxury tax, let alone the repeater tax, does to a franchise.  It is one thing to be ok with it in theory, but it is entirely another when you are faced with signing minimum contract players and then paying 15 million in tax on that million dollar salary.  Heck we saw what it did with players like James Posey not being re-signed after Boston won the title.  The repeater tax makes it so much worse.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #370 on: February 07, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I gotta disagree, our playoffs just got WAY more interesting. I think our early season struggles may have lowered folks' expectations a bit, but we are very much in the mix for that crack at Golden State.

« Reply #371 on: February 07, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
Danny...didn't....panic.   

Again.

Well thank god that since our 10-10 start we’ve been the best team in the east and everyone is chasing us. Oh right, and we STILL have not seen this team with a realized Gordo. Him continuing to get healthy and better is the equivalent of adding a superstar - heck even if he doesn’t get better, WERE STILL THE BEST TEAMM IN THE EAST. 

The stats back me up. You Moranis, are Le hater extraodrinare.

As always, GO C’s letttssss gooooo
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #372 on: February 07, 2019, 04:22:49 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I gotta disagree, our playoffs just got WAY more interesting. I think our early season struggles may have lowered folks' expectations a bit, but we are very much in the mix for that crack at Golden State.

Really think it depends on Hayward. If he can turn the corner and be a 15-18 point guy in the playoffs then Boston is a different team.

Afraid though we will see more 3 point games than double digit ones from him.

« Reply #373 on: February 07, 2019, 04:27:25 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

@wojespn
 27s27 seconds ago
More
Orlando is trading for Markelle Fultz, league source tells ESPN.

@wojespn
The Magic are sending Jonathan Simmons, a first-round and a second-round pick to the Sixers, per sources.
Amazed Philly got that much for Fultz but can't think of a more demonstrative way to show how far and fast a number pick's stock can drop.   

Can't help myself from snickering at some poster's comments over the summer and during the season that they 'knew' Fultz' value was as high or higher than Tatum's or Brown's on the trade market when the talk was about what it would take to get Kawhi.   ::)
The Hawks were also interested in Fultz so I expect that drove up the price some. 

« Reply #374 on: February 07, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

@wojespn
 27s27 seconds ago
More
Orlando is trading for Markelle Fultz, league source tells ESPN.

@wojespn
The Magic are sending Jonathan Simmons, a first-round and a second-round pick to the Sixers, per sources.
Amazed Philly got that much for Fultz but can't think of a more demonstrative way to show how far and fast a number pick's stock can drop.   

Can't help myself from snickering at some poster's comments over the summer and during the season that they 'knew' Fultz' value was as high or higher than Tatum's or Brown's on the trade market when the talk was about what it would take to get Kawhi.   ::)
The Hawks were also interested in Fultz so I expect that drove up the price some.

The 1st is also top-20 protected I believe so it wasn't quite as big a return as it looked.