Author Topic: Are your BostonCeltics Cheap?  (Read 4676 times)

Re: Are your BostonCeltics Cheap?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 02:30:43 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
"I'm just asking the question, caller"

::)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 02:35:47 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
It seems to me that we have depth problems because Danny has whiffed on most of his non-premium draft picks rather than an unwillingness by the team to spend money. Hopefully, Pritchard is a sign that he can reverse that trend.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 03:38:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"I'm just asking the question, caller"

::)

LOL

asking the question, but not wanting to know the actual answers
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 03:40:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It seems to me that we have depth problems because Danny has whiffed on most of his non-premium draft picks rather than an unwillingness by the team to spend money. Hopefully, Pritchard is a sign that he can reverse that trend.

Danny actually bats about 50/50 on getting serviceable rotation players out of picks outside of the lottery.  It is true that in the last 5-10 years he hasn't found many guys who are a lot better than expected given their draft slot.

It also feels bad to see two straight late lotto picks fail to produce at all early in their careers, though. 

Pritchard is a breath of fresh air in that he looks like more than just a serviceable 9th-12th man.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 05:41:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Boston isn't winning the title this year.  Never had a real shot with the Big 3 the team has.  So why hamstring the team by adding big money role players that aren't going to do anything.

Sounds like they need to make a trade.

Beal ?

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Boston isn't winning the title this year.  Never had a real shot with the Big 3 the team has.  So why hamstring the team by adding big money role players that aren't going to do anything.

Beal ?

I don't see a way to get Beal right now -- they would ask for Brown and the answer would be no.  If Brown isn't on the table (and he should not be), Washington would hold out for other offers.

Only way to get Beal would be to hope he doesn't get traded until there's just a year left on his deal and then have Tatum work the connection he has with Beal to get Beal to make strong overtures that he wants to go to the Celtics and nowhere else.

Of course, if the Celts aren't in line to have cap space when Beal becomes a free agent, it'll be hard to exercise any leverage in that respect.

The good news is that both Kemba and Beal have a player option to become UFA in summer 2022.  Key questions are whether the Celts will have adequate cap space even if Kemba does opt out, and whether Kemba's knee will be healthy enough for him to feel comfortable opting out.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 06:17:32 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
My 3 Goals of this year are continued internal development of our core(Tatum, Brown, Smart, Timelord?) find out who could one day become a part of the core (Pritchard, Langford, Carsen, and Nesmith) and resetting the clock on the repeater tax.

I have no doubt that Wyc and Co. will spend every year of Tatum's prime as long as we can re-set the repeater tax this year. Players will want to play with Tatum and Brown. A star will become disgruntled. We just need to put ourselves in a position to be in the mix when it happens and that is not possible if we're paying a $500 Million+ tax bill every year.

Those are the exact same goals as I had.

It looks like Brown and Timelord are improving rapidly as the first one is looking like an All Star and the latter as one of the most talented young centers around, hard to expect Tatum to make another huge leap although it would be great if he could consistently play like he did in February last year. Smart has been underwhelming, hopefully he can get back on track and stop overestimating his abilities.

Pritchard looks like a sure thing to be added to our core. Both Langford and Nesmith are big question marks and I doubt that they will answer the question this year whether they belong. I have given up on Edwards, it's just a matter of time until he gets traded or cut from the roster.

I would add a 4th and 5th goal now. (4) Find use for the TPE this season (before the trade deadline), because during the offseason it will be hard to make good use of that TPE since we don't want to do a sign-and-trade and end up being hardcapped. (5) Look if we can get Walker back on his previous level and decide what we do with him: keep him or trade him.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:24:39 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 07:02:25 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I was watching Felger and Mazz and Felger was trolling Celtics fans by saying you have spent all of your money and you are unable to add to your roster.  So I looked into it.  Did you know the Celtics are actually 25th of 30 teams in payroll in the NBA?  Do you know how many teams have won a championship spending in the bottom 5 teams?  You are correct NONE.

Assessing our financial cap/roster situation by looking at 2020 payroll rank is too simplistic to tell you anything meaningful.

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 09:11:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Beal ?

Id prefer a big...
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 11:17:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I was watching Felger and Mazz and Felger was trolling Celtics fans by saying you have spent all of your money and you are unable to add to your roster.  So I looked into it.  Did you know the Celtics are actually 25th of 30 teams in payroll in the NBA?  Do you know how many teams have won a championship spending in the bottom 5 teams?  You are correct NONE.  I also learned we have a $28.5 million dollar trade exception, a $5 million dollar trade exception, and a $2.5 million dollar trade exception.  We have a big 3.  What other teams have that we don’t is a bench. Players that can come in and score. Shooters.  The other contenders have them.  We bring in Grant, Semi, Javonte, etc.  They are OK but are they rotational players on a championship team?  I remember when we had KG and Ray Allen and Pierce.  Danny went out and got James Posey, Eddie House, Sam Cassell, etc. They all contributed to that championship.  Why doesn’t Danny do that for this team? Are his hands tied?  We don’t need to trade our Big 3.  Put something around them.  Then watch us take a big step forward. So Wick and Sal why are we 25th in payroll?

Be careful you may not be recognized as a Cs fan.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 11:27:48 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 11:18:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

About when should we expect  push for a title?

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 11:34:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

When Tatum starts approaching top 5 status, which may be next year but probably more like the 22-23 season (if he elevates that high at all).  You need that 1st Team All NBA guy to really have a shot at being a multi-year true contender and Brown needs to get up into that 3rd Team All NBA range (or higher) for Boston to really feel comfortable about contending.  I mean the best player in the world doesn't have a top 15 teammate and he hasn't even made the Finals yet (and if you want to call Giannis top 5, and not the best, that is fine - the point still stands).  I mean look at the teams that have won titles.  They all basically have the 1st Team All NBA guy surrounded by at least 1, and often 2, other All NBA guys (or at least the talent of All NBA guys even if they didn't make it that particular year).  That is reality.  Top tier talent wins, and Boston's young guys aren't at that level yet so Boston isn't going to a contender until the young guys hit that level.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 11:40:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

When Tatum starts approaching top 5 status, which may be next year but probably more like the 22-23 season (if he elevates that high at all).  You need that 1st Team All NBA guy to really have a shot at being a multi-year true contender and Brown needs to get up into that 3rd Team All NBA range (or higher) for Boston to really feel comfortable about contending.  I mean the best player in the world doesn't have a top 15 teammate and he hasn't even made the Finals yet (and if you want to call Giannis top 5, and not the best, that is fine - the point still stands).  I mean look at the teams that have won titles.  They all basically have the 1st Team All NBA guy surrounded by at least 1, and often 2, other All NBA guys (or at least the talent of All NBA guys even if they didn't make it that particular year).  That is reality.  Top tier talent wins, and Boston's young guys aren't at that level yet so Boston isn't going to a contender until the young guys hit that level.   

One shot at a championship right now and I am taking LeBron James and Kevin Durant over Giannis.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 01:08:43 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

In 2030 probably. Gotta go through a 22-year drought after all

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 01:41:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Middleton was absolutely an All-NBA calibre player last year no matter how much you want to crap on Giannis' supporting cast, just because the Bucks have lost to two really strong teams in the playoffs (the Heat definitely had an unexpected run, but the totality of what they had really looks like something akin to the '79 Sonics with Butler as their All-NBA guy and two All-Star level players in Bam and Dragic with a strong collection of role players) doesn't make those Bucks squads non-contenders.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA