Author Topic: Rumor: Pacers interested in Hayward  (Read 24446 times)

Re: Rumor: Pacers interested in Hayward
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Hayward becomes injured again... he could end up like IT4. No future in the nba

If I was him and to become as rich as possible. Push a trade to Pacers and sign an extension. Decent chance to make all star team also. Where as he has zero chance of doing that as a Celtic

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 03:16:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Beating the horse dead but:

Hayward, Romeo, our three firsts this year

For

Turner and Oladipo.

That is probably the basic structure of the discussion (if there is any discussion) but I don't think we need to send back all that much in addition to Hayward.  I think the basic Trade of Hayward for Turner and Oladipo is pretty close. As others have said, Oladipo doesn't have all that much value at this point.  Turner is flawed but we desperately need a big (Indy doesn't really need him).  I think this trade would be worth it to go for but not with Langford and the picks.
Agreed

at this point with Dipo, it's salary filler.  would like to keep Romeo and at least one first rounder. 

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If we are going to have a thread on this, can a mod shift the responses over from the Sabonis thread to here? I mentioned that I probably should have started a thread on it, but it will probably get a little confusing talking about the same subject in both threads.

Why would Pacers trade Sabonis for Hayward?

Makes no sense

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 03:49:58 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

For

Turner and Oladipo.

That seems like a deal the Celtics would do in a heartbeat and the Pacers would never do.

If you’re the Pacers you don’t take the guy you’re after, a young prospect, and three firsts for a guy who you deem can’t play next to Sabonis and a guy whose going to leave you for nothing on a one year? That’d be absurd to turn down.

Brogdon/Lamb/Hayward/Warren/Sabonis is a nice starting five with three firsts to dangle as bait elsewhere.

Agreed. That is a good trade for the Pacers and worth the risk for the Celtics. If Oladipo buys into playing Celtics basketball and isn't playing for his next contract. Also a risk due to Oladipo's injury concerns but he wouldn't have to be "The Man" on this Celtics squad.

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

For

Turner and Oladipo.

That is probably the basic structure of the discussion (if there is any discussion) but I don't think we need to send back all that much in addition to Hayward.  I think the basic Trade of Hayward for Turner and Oladipo is pretty close. As others have said, Oladipo doesn't have all that much value at this point.  Turner is flawed but we desperately need a big (Indy doesn't really need him).  I think this trade would be worth it to go for but not with Langford and the picks.
Agreed

at this point with Dipo, it's salary filler.  would like to keep Romeo and at least one first rounder.

Oladipo is more than salary filler.  When healthy, he’s an All-NBA two-way talent.  Hopefully his last three playoff games are a sign of things to come.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we are going to have a thread on this, can a mod shift the responses over from the Sabonis thread to here? I mentioned that I probably should have started a thread on it, but it will probably get a little confusing talking about the same subject in both threads.

Why would Pacers trade Sabonis for Hayward?

Makes no sense

Lol - I didn't say anything about trading Hayward for Sabonis. I posted the exact same article yesterday in the Sabonis thread and discussion had already begun about the topic. You obviously failed to sift through the 'latest discussions' section before starting a new thread. I am not looking for credit for having posted it (I just stole the info from Cs Reddit after it had been out there several hours already), but your 'new' topic was already ongoing. I am just looking for them to be merged at this point.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=103044.15

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 04:56:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

For

Turner and Oladipo.

Agreed

Oladipo is more than salary filler.  When healthy, he’s an All-NBA two-way talent.  Hopefully his last three playoff games are a sign of things to come.

I like Dipo a lot, but there's a lot more evidence that his elite two-way play was the exception to his normal play, not the norm.

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Trade 1:

3-team

Pacers - Celtics - Pelicans

Pacers Get
- G. Hayward

Celtics Get
- J. Holiday
- D. McDermott

Pacers Get
- M. Turner
- R. Langford

Trade 2

Celtics - Clippers - 76ers

Celtics get
- J. Embiid

76ers get
- P. George
- Rob Williams

Clippers get
- K. Walker
- A. Horford

Celtics New team
- J. Holiday
- M. Smart
- J. Brown
- J. Tatum
- j. Embiid
- D. McDermott
- D. Theis

Celtics will have 1 of the greatest defensives we will ever see. Hopefully Embiid gets motivated to be in shape. I think every team in this trade gets much better.

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Does Turner actually help you that much in a series against a guy like Embiid, Bam, or AD?

Looking at his game logs, Turner was mostly bad against Miami and had some very negative +/- numbers although Indiana as a whole did poorly against Miami.

Looks like he was pretty mediocre in two games against the Lakers last season, and a mixed bag against some of the other big teams.

I just don't particularly like Myles Turner.  His TRB% for his career is 13%.  That's very poor for a center.  His AST% is 6.5%.  That's quite low (<2 ast per 36 min)
Turner doesn't create much contact inside either.  He attempts 3.7 free throws per 36 minutes for his career and is just about average as a free throw shooter (77%).

Perhaps the worst thing is his TS% which is only 56.6% for his career.  For a tall center with nearly a 20% USG rate who is not quite a league average shooter from 3, that's not great.

So he doesn't board very well, doesn't pass well, is just an OK finisher, isn't a great shooter.  He's good at blocking shots.  I'm not sure what else he's particularly good at.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:20:03 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 05:21:40 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Does Turner actually help you that much in a series against a guy like Embiid, Bam, or AD?

Looking at his game logs, Turner was mostly bad against Miami and had some very negative +/- numbers although Indiana as a whole did poorly against Miami.

Looks like he was pretty mediocre in two games against the Lakers last season, and a mixed bag against some of the other big teams.

I just don't particularly like Myles Turner.  His TRB% for his career is 13%.  That's very poor for a center.  His AST% is 6.5%.  That's quite low (<2 ast per 36 min)
Turner doesn't create much contact inside either.  He attempts 3.7 free throws per 36 minutes for his career and is just about average as a free throw shooter (77%).

Perhaps the worst thing is his TS% which is only 56.6% for his career.  For a tall center with nearly a 20% USG rate who is not quite a league average shooter from 3, that's not great.

So he doesn't board very well, doesn't pass well, is just an OK finisher, isn't a great shooter.  He's good at blocking shots.  I'm not sure what else he's particularly good at.

I’ve watched him play even on the USA team and what you are saying is 100% correct. I’m not sure why Celtics fans want him...I was an advocate for him until I watched him play.

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Honestly when it comes to centers, unless the Celts are getting a borderline All-Star type contributor (e.g. Gobert, or perhaps Capela), I would rather just use a mid-late 1st round pick on an athletic guy and hope he turns into the next Steven Adams or Bam.

It doesn't make sense from a cap management perspective to invest a lot of resources into the center position unless you're getting a hugely valuable player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

For

Turner and Oladipo.

That seems like a deal the Celtics would do in a heartbeat and the Pacers would never do.

If you’re the Pacers you don’t take the guy you’re after, a young prospect, and three firsts for a guy who you deem can’t play next to Sabonis and a guy whose going to leave you for nothing on a one year? That’d be absurd to turn down.

Brogdon/Lamb/Hayward/Warren/Sabonis is a nice starting five with three firsts to dangle as bait elsewhere.
Yeah, at this point, Hayward is probably the best player in this deal. Oladipo's injuries have seemed to cripple him.

And the same can't be said about Hayward? He's only played in 50% of games so far in a Celtics jersey.

I'd do the trade. I like Hayward but he's been a bust, I think a fresh start would do him well and truthfully I think he deserves one.

Turner fills an immediate need, I know people around here are down on him but I do view him as an upgrade over Theiss.
Oladipo is the gamble, Stevens works wonders on guards and in a contract year they might need each other.

At the end of the day Oladipo might walk, but I have a feeling Hayward will as well. He will be overpaid to play elsewhere. So if we assume both players leave after this year then at least we have something to show for it with Turner.
Nope, it's not the same at all. Last year showed that Hayward was pretty dang close to what he was before the injury. On the other hand, Dipo hasn't been close to the player he was a couple of years ago.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

For

Turner and Oladipo.

Yeah, at this point, Hayward is probably the best player in this deal. Oladipo's injuries have seemed to cripple him.

And the same can't be said about Hayward? He's only played in 50% of games so far in a Celtics jersey.

I'd do the trade. I like Hayward but he's been a bust, I think a fresh start would do him well and truthfully I think he deserves one.

Turner fills an immediate need, I know people around here are down on him but I do view him as an upgrade over Theiss.
Oladipo is the gamble, Stevens works wonders on guards and in a contract year they might need each other.

At the end of the day Oladipo might walk, but I have a feeling Hayward will as well. He will be overpaid to play elsewhere. So if we assume both players leave after this year then at least we have something to show for it with Turner.
Nope, it's not the same at all. Last year showed that Hayward was pretty dang close to what he was before the injury. On the other hand, Dipo hasn't been close to the player he was a couple of years ago.

That’s because you’re assessing Hayward in year three after an injury, and Oladipo in year two.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2020, 05:51:10 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

For

Turner and Oladipo.

That’s because you’re assessing Hayward in year three after an injury, and Oladipo in year two.
That's true, but I did say "at this point", which is definitely true. Hayward has shown he can get back to what he was previously, while Dipo hasn't shown that at all. It's a huge gamble, especially with how tricky quad injuries seem to be.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 05:58:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I’d have no interest in Oladipo.

Not a great fan of Turner but at least I’d argue he fills a need.

I’d be more interested in getting back someone like McDermott or lamb.