Author Topic: 2019 Draft  (Read 41438 times)

Re: 2019 Draft
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I think all our picks are going to be packaged in a deal.
Its not always easy.  Didn’t a lot of us think that the year we drafted Zizic and Yabu?  It would make the most sense though.

Agree.  Right now, we've got 14, 20, 22 and 26, thus hurting my dream of four consecutive picks.

In a regular draft, I don't know what that gets us, but this one doesn't look like it will even be average.* #14 is somewhat desirable. The other three are guaranteed contracts for players who will likely be rotation players at best. If anything, I would expect the Cs to try and move back, if anything.

Mike

*Note: As we all know, the draft will get hyped up right before it occurs. There's still not much there.

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Jaxson Hayes, anyone? This is the first I've heard of him.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/ohio-high-school/2018/11/02/jaxson-hayes-fran-fraschilla-praises-texas-long-term-nba-prospect/1857833002/?src=rss
I don't know what he's smoking. This guy is so raw right now he's not even on the radar but I haven't seen him. He'll probably get playing time due to lack of depth. We shall see.

I hadn't heard of him before, TP.  Rivals had him as the 112th best prospect overall and 8th best center of his class. He must have improved quite a bit or Fraschilla is seeing things.  It'll be interesting to see how he does.
Ok, maybe he is on the radar.
That Texas team is bad right now though and him being a big man without a good back-court I think he struggles.
I have yet to see him play but here is a youtube of him.
He looks like a lesser version of Time Lord. Not as explosive off the floor and his offensive game consists of dunks and layups (that they have in common). It's still early and I'm sure I'll get to see him play but just wanted to see his game since the Fraschilla comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxPFr7CTis

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Right now, our picks are 13 (MEM), 18 (SAC), 22 (LAC) and 23 (BOS).

The thing about the MEM and SAC picks though... if each team was just 2 games worse than what they are now, then the MEM pick is likely 9-10, and SAC pick in the 11-13 range. It's been a wild year all around and we're just going to have to hope a bit of luck falls our way.

We're not getting a Top-5 pick this year but I'm not losing out hope that we could still land 2 lottery picks (hopefully 1 of them being in the Top-10 even if it's in the 7-10 range). The MEM Pick is Top-8 protected, keep in mind.

Meanwhile we should hope LAC remains in the playoff picture and it conveys in the 15-20 range, otherwise it becomes mere future 2nd rounders (meh).

And us... well I could care less if it's the last pick of the first round obviously   ;)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

The thing about the MEM and SAC picks though... if each team was just 2 games worse than what they are now, then the MEM pick is likely 9-10, and SAC pick in the 11-13 range. It's been a wild year all around and we're just going to have to hope a bit of luck falls our way.

We're not getting a Top-5 pick this year but I'm not losing out hope that we could still land 2 lottery picks (hopefully 1 of them being in the Top-10 even if it's in the 7-10 range). The MEM Pick is Top-8 protected, keep in mind.

Meanwhile we should hope LAC remains in the playoff picture and it conveys in the 15-20 range, otherwise it becomes mere future 2nd rounders (meh).

And us... well I could care less if it's the last pick of the first round obviously   ;)
The LAC rolls over to next year if they don't make playoffs this year and becomes a 2nd rounder in 2020 if the Clippers don't make playoffs next year.

« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

The LAC rolls over to next year if they don't make playoffs this year and becomes a 2nd rounder in 2020 if the Clippers don't make playoffs next year.

Oh dang I guess I missed that part. TP and thanks!  ;D

Right now, MEM pick is 13, SAC 14, LAC 21, and BOS 22.

Trending upwards!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2019, 12:54:12 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Here's a pretty good set of rankings and evaluations of the prospects from SI.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/03/2019-nba-draft-big-board-duke-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-ja-morant-top-80-rankings

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
KZ Okpala from Stanford looks like a really good wing prospect ... 6'9'' with a 7'2'' wingspan ... Skinny, but with a really good frame to add muscle to ... high level athleticism, not a freak, but would be a good NBA athlete ... good finisher ... good shooter with a consistent stroke.

I'd like to see him use his length on defense and rebounding more, but he is not bad.

I think with an open floor, Okpala could be really dynamic as a scorer.

Comparable player upside: Kyle Kuzma, Thaddeus Young, Trevor Ariza, Pascal Siakim, Rudy Gay

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »

• Paul Silas
I also really like Jarrett Culver ... big body for a guard ... wide shoulders ... good athleticism and excellent body control ... consistent jumpshot ... good ball-handler and creator for others ... high efficiency ... good at drawing fouls.

Obviously he has to continue his upward trajectory. If his development stalls, he won't be more than an g-leaguer. But I could see him capping out as an all-star in the NBA.

NBA comparables: Jimmy Butler, Justice Winslow, Josh Richardson, Wes Matthews, Tyreke Evans

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2019, 11:41:11 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I also really like Jarrett Culver ... big body for a guard ... wide shoulders ... good athleticism and excellent body control ... consistent jumpshot ... good ball-handler and creator for others ... high efficiency ... good at drawing fouls.

Obviously he has to continue his upward trajectory. If his development stalls, he won't be more than an g-leaguer. But I could see him capping out as an all-star in the NBA.

NBA comparables: Jimmy Butler, Justice Winslow, Josh Richardson, Wes Matthews, Tyreke Evans
Heard Sam Vecenie on a podcast about the draft class.  He has Culver rated highly.  He doesn't think he has top level upside but expects that he'd be starting by his 2nd season. 

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2019, 11:43:10 AM »

• Paul Silas

Heard Sam Vecenie on a podcast about the draft class.  He has Culver rated highly.  He doesn't think he has top level upside but expects that he'd be starting by his 2nd season.

Especially when you consider the growth from last year to this you, you could see his trajectory being pretty high.

I look at his upside more like Jimmy Butler or Brandon Roy than Kevin Durant or Lebron James or James Harden, but still, I could see him getting a few all-star seasons during his career.

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2019, 11:37:28 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Especially when you consider the growth from last year to this you, you could see his trajectory being pretty high.

I look at his upside more like Jimmy Butler or Brandon Roy than Kevin Durant or Lebron James or James Harden, but still, I could see him getting a few all-star seasons during his career.
I'm starting to really like this draft
The first 20-22 picks will all be mostly solid names, a lot of players that have decent but limited upside but still very talented players.

I also like okpala and culver. If we could get one of them that would be great

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2019, 09:33:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Very impressed by Darius Garland.

I love the way he can change speeds and freeze defenders. He does basic dribbling so well as well as more advanced moves. He looks like he'll be able to get wherever he wants to go on the court in the NBA and do so whenever he wants.

He can shoot, has a midrange game, floaters and can get to the rim. Good passer. A total offensive package enabled by his superb ball-handling.

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Very impressed by Darius Garland.

I love the way he can change speeds and freeze defenders. He does basic dribbling so well as well as more advanced moves. He looks like he'll be able to get wherever he wants to go on the court in the NBA and do so whenever he wants.

He can shoot, has a midrange game, floaters and can get to the rim. Good passer. A total offensive package enabled by his superb ball-handling.

I haven't followed every potential lottery pick closely, but Garland seems a lot more in control than a couple of other highly valued guards. But Garland is probably going to be picked higher than our Kings pick and I still expect that all our draft picks go out the door for Davis, so I'm not really watching for players that could help the Celtics.

« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2019, 02:23:45 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Am I the only one who's really happy with where our draft picks are landing?

The 2019 draft is id say picks 3-5 are sub-par, but 6-10 is actually pretty good, and the true value is in the 14-25 range. There will be mid to late first round gems, and we have 2-3 shots at that "value tier". I read a lot of comments online and am seeing this consensus start to develop

As for SGs, this is EASILY a better SG class than 2017. Barrett, Porter Jr., Johnson, Herro, Langford, Culver, Alexander-Walker, etc. It dwarfs the '17 SG class who's best prospect was Malik fricking Monk (even though I had Mitchell as the best SG, most had Monk).

At SF you had Tatum and Jackson and not much else after that. Tatum had his issues defensively and Jackson had his issues offensively. This SF class is infinitely deeper: Hunter, Little, Reddish, Horton-Tucker, King, Okpala, etc. Tatum is the best prospect here, but you can make an argument the next few are from this class.

PF/C is easily this class. '17 had Markannen (who A LOT of people didn't even like) and Zach Collins (who wasn't even a starter at Gonzaga)...meanwhile you have Zion, Grant Williams, Sekou, Porter, Hayes, Bol, Fernando, etc. in this class.

I think a strong argument can be made that 19 > 17 pretty comfortably in terms of depth. This draft class is being slept on.

« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2019, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
RJ Barrett scored or assisted on 48 of Duke's 75 points versus Syracuse. Almost 2/3rds of Duke's points.