Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 70942 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2019, 07:47:49 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Hopefully, we would give up no one for Thompson. I mentioned his name as a buyout candidate.
Chances are that we would have to give up one of our core guys for Turner.

We would need cap space to sign him, no?   Or could we just plunge into the luxury tax?
No, we wouldn't. If he gets bought out by the Cavs (or any team for that matter), we can sign him via the minimum salary exception.

Last season the Celts had the MLE to use on Kanter.
But Kanter chose the Blazers because of the promise of more playing time.

This season the Celts have no MLE or Room Exception to offer.
So the Celts are at a disadvantage when it comes to bidding for players who are bought out.

Only way the Celts will get the big they want is through a trade.
You said it yourself. Kanter opted for the Blazers cause they promised him more playing time. That's our selling point this season. We need a starting-caliber defensive Center. If Thompson wants to play big minutes in the playoffs with a view to maximizing his value in free agency, we might be the ideal fit for him. Certainly a better fit than the Lakers.

Here's an article I found about Tristan.

Thompson is the piece the Cavs would most want to retain beyond this season. The organization loves him. Sources say they would be interested in making him part of this growing core. Thompson’s a great leader and role model for the young guys, someone who embodies what it means to be a Cavalier. Both Kevin Porter Jr. and Darius Garland have said they have no clue where the team would be in the first month-plus without Thompson and Kevin Love. 3 days ago – via Chris Fedor @ Cleveland Plain Dealer

I don't think the Cavs will buy him out.
He has significant trade value.

« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2019, 08:05:40 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Hopefully, we would give up no one for Thompson. I mentioned his name as a buyout candidate.

We would need cap space to sign him, no?   Or could we just plunge into the luxury tax?
No, we wouldn't. If he gets bought out by the Cavs (or any team for that matter), we can sign him via the minimum salary exception.

So the Celts are at a disadvantage when it comes to bidding for players who are bought out.

You said it yourself. Kanter opted for the Blazers cause they promised him more playing time. That's our selling point this season. We need a starting-caliber defensive Center. If Thompson wants to play big minutes in the playoffs with a view to maximizing his value in free agency, we might be the ideal fit for him. Certainly a better fit than the Lakers.

Thompson is the piece the Cavs would most want to retain beyond this season. The organization loves him. Sources say they would be interested in making him part of this growing core. Thompson’s a great leader and role model for the young guys, someone who embodies what it means to be a Cavalier. Both Kevin Porter Jr. and Darius Garland have said they have no clue where the team would be in the first month-plus without Thompson and Kevin Love. 3 days ago – via Chris Fedor @ Cleveland Plain Dealer

1. What if a team offers the Cavs pick(s)/young prospect(s) + an albatross contract for Thompson's $18,539,130 expiring contract? Thompson can still get bought out by another team, not necessarily by the Cavs.

2. I have no idea who this guy Chris Fedor is. ''Cavs/NBA Reporter & Sports Producer for Advance Ohio''? Meh, sure whatever. Not saying that he's making stuff up. Just saying that people write stuff on the internet all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are always correct nor that they have legit inside information.

« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2019, 08:07:41 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

That is the usual team statement before the player gets traded.
"He is great, blah-blah, give us more assets."
Kind of like how GMS says that the coach's job is safe, but then he is about to get fired.

It will be interesting to see how the situation unfolds, but unless someone gets injured I don't see teams giving more than a 2nd rounder for him.
He certainly isn't worth a late 1st.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2019, 10:40:38 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
There’s no productive player outside of an unforeseen buyout. I mean, we have a decent crop with Theis, Kanter, Time and Williams. If any big costs us one (or more) of Kemba, Tatum, JB, Hayward or Smart, it’ll be a big blow to the team
- LilRip

« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2019, 03:06:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Going to throw out LaMarcus Aldridge's name.

He's under contract for the remainder of this season and next, so he wouldn't be a half-season rental.

He could be the missing piece to a trip to the finals.

Also, the Spurs are off to a lousy start, so they could be looking to sell at the trade deadline.

Same problem as a lot of these guys, he makes too much money. Its near impossible to match his salary in a trade without sacrificing one of our core guys like Smart or Hayward.

I agree.

Tatum, Kemba, Hayward, Brown, and Smart are untouchable.

It just doesn't make sense to trade any of those 5 core players.

Celts can only go as high as 18m, that's the limit.

Any player with a salary higher than 18m cannot be traded to the Celts.

Pretty sure for the right player, no one is untouchable (except maybe Kemba, seeing how the Celts just signed him and trading him during the 1st year of his deal is a really bad look.)

« Reply #275 on: December 04, 2019, 03:18:15 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Champagne taste on a Beer budget!

What the a Celtics could actually afford is going to be someone like:

Nerlens Noel
Jakob Poeltl
Thon Maker
Ante Zizic

But sure, keep telling me how Myles Turner is going to wearing green come January!

« Reply #276 on: December 04, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

That is the usual team statement before the player gets traded.
"He is great, blah-blah, give us more assets."
Kind of like how GMS says that the coach's job is safe, but then he is about to get fired.

It will be interesting to see how the situation unfolds, but unless someone gets injured I don't see teams giving more than a 2nd rounder for him.
He certainly isn't worth a late 1st.

Oh I'd say he probably is worth a late first, the bigger issue is matching contracts. Not a lot of winning teams have enough expiring, unneeded salary AND would be wiling to put in a first. And a late first might not be enough for Cleveland if they have to take back bad salary.

« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2019, 02:17:27 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Champagne taste on a Beer budget!

What the a Celtics could actually afford is going to be someone like:

Nerlens Noel
Jakob Poeltl
Thon Maker
Ante Zizic

But sure, keep telling me how Myles Turner is going to wearing green come January!

I wonder what it would take to pry Noel away from OKC?

Would they consider TimeLord straight up? (Not that I like that idea)

What about Carsen, and Semi? (I don't love that idea either)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2019, 03:06:35 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Bogut.

« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2019, 10:24:07 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
So there are “reports” that raptors are interested in bringing Tristan Thompson home. Not surprising given their bad stretch at home .
If that trade was to happen ... it gotta be Marc Gadol plus filler plus pick (s) for Tristan and maybe Clarkson ...

After the trade Gasol would most likely get bought out....
Is there any chance we can bring him here?

He’s fallen off a cliff. Averaging worse numbers than our bigs and horrible 33% field goals. His PER is 8.73 which is way below average. I’m not sure how’s his defense holding up. I was just surprised to see him struggle so much.

« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2019, 10:31:03 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
So there are “reports” that raptors are interested in bringing Tristan Thompson home. Not surprising given their bad stretch at home .
If that trade was to happen ... it gotta be Marc Gadol plus filler plus pick (s) for Tristan and maybe Clarkson ...

He’s fallen off a cliff. Averaging worse numbers than our bigs and horrible 33% field goals. His PER is 8.73 which is way below average. I’m not sure how’s his defense holding up. I was just surprised to see him struggle so much.

Nobody beats Father Time.

But yes, if bought out, Celts should try to sign Marc Gasol.

If Gasol wants to be a Celtic.

« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Thatd be nuts, but it would swing the balance in our favor. Gasol is a bona-fide defensive anchor on the interior who can both defend on-ball in the post and help positionally. He can also shoot.

« Reply #282 on: December 16, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If Montrezl Harrell becomes available, because he's expiring and the Clips might be unlikely to resign him, what do you think the trade could be for him. Picks and salary match?

https://clutchpoints.com/clippers-rumors-montrezl-harrell-could-emerge-trade-target-unrestricted-free-agency-looms/

« Reply #283 on: December 16, 2019, 03:55:03 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Gosh, love to have Harrell but Clips not trading him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #284 on: December 16, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Gosh, love to have Harrell but Clips not trading him

Probably not but he would be a good fit for us.