Author Topic: Why Ojeleye instead of Robert Williams?  (Read 6860 times)

Re: Why Ojeleye instead of Robert Williams?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 09:50:30 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I wouldn't be surprised if Williams got some burn. But you can't show your hand before the playoffs, and it would be in a home game.

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
There's got to be something that they've seen in Timelord, maybe in practice, that has made Brad and the rest of the brains trust to hold Timelord back. Maybe he's struggling to adapt do the always-switch defense. I've seen him overhelp numerous times and leave his man open, maybe he's not quite on par with the defensive schemes. Must be some structural stuff that we the fans are missing.

Also Ojeleye can stretch the floor and hit the occasional 3...even Yabu. We know how much Brad values positionless basketball. Maybe Timelord needs to get some tips from Baynes on how to shoot 3s this summer.

Brad makes mistakes. I would be giving Williams playing time to get him ready for the playoffs. He is already a better player than Ojeleye.

Did anybody watch the Bucks series last year? Ojeleye's defense on Giannis was very good - easily second best after Horford. Morris didn't have a prayer, last year or last night.

Of course Ojeleye did not stop Giannis - nobody does - but O made him work and let us minimize help. From a backup wing that's outstanding.  If he can also pull his man out to the three point line - which he can - it's a pretty easy decision to play him.

Yabu is a little harder to understand. I really, really don't think there is an unthinking prejudice against rookies. Tatum started in game 1 last year. Williams doesn't play because he still has so much to learn about where to be on the court and when to use that phenomenal leaping ability.

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
My concern is how they are handling Brown. Hayward is out, he goes 6-9 from the field and they play him 24 minutes. Stevens has decided he should not be on the floor in the last 5 minutes, and that does not change when someone sits out.

He had a horrendous October/November, but since then, he's been quite good.

I think Stevens has decided that the first unit does not properly function offensively with Brown. He is relegated to a specific rotation pattern when he can be a first, second or third option, but he no longer figures into the start or finish of either half. Ever.

All the while, Morris is slowly regressing to his historical numbers, and his defense is also less impressive. Not sure what the dynamics are here, but I don't think they are healthy.

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
My concern is how they are handling Brown. Hayward is out, he goes 6-9 from the field and they play him 24 minutes. Stevens has decided he should not be on the floor in the last 5 minutes, and that does not change when someone sits out.

I think Stevens has decided that the first unit does not properly function offensively with Brown. He is relegated to a specific rotation pattern when he can be a first, second or third option, but he no longer figures into the start or finish of either half. Ever.

All the while, Morris is slowly regressing to his historical numbers, and his defense is also less impressive. Not sure what the dynamics are here, but I don't think they are healthy.

It's strange. It's almost as if the Cs have determined that Jaylen is their best young prospect and don't want the world (or the Pelicans) to know when they make a trade for AD.

I realize this is probably not the case - Tatum garners a lot of attention and it is well deserved - but I have been a huge Jaylen fan since he first suited up for the Cs and it is disappointing that so many other players play ahead of him. It can't be because of his defense either, obviously.

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
There's got to be something that they've seen in Timelord, maybe in practice, that has made Brad and the rest of the brains trust to hold Timelord back. Maybe he's struggling to adapt do the always-switch defense. I've seen him overhelp numerous times and leave his man open, maybe he's not quite on par with the defensive schemes. Must be some structural stuff that we the fans are missing.

Also Ojeleye can stretch the floor and hit the occasional 3...even Yabu. We know how much Brad values positionless basketball. Maybe Timelord needs to get some tips from Baynes on how to shoot 3s this summer.

Brad makes mistakes. I would be giving Williams playing time to get him ready for the playoffs. He is already a better player than Ojeleye.

Did anybody watch the Bucks series last year? Ojeleye's defense on Giannis was very good - easily second best after Horford. Morris didn't have a prayer, last year or last night.

Of course Ojeleye did not stop Giannis - nobody does - but O made him work and let us minimize help. From a backup wing that's outstanding.  If he can also pull his man out to the three point line - which he can - it's a pretty easy decision to play him.

Yabu is a little harder to understand. I really, really don't think there is an unthinking prejudice against rookies. Tatum started in game 1 last year. Williams doesn't play because he still has so much to learn about where to be on the court and when to use that phenomenal leaping ability.

Now imagine what Williams with his length could do.

He blocked Anthony Davis' shot twice in limited minutes.

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

It's strange. It's almost as if the Cs have determined that Jaylen is their best young prospect and don't want the world (or the Pelicans) to know when they make a trade for AD.

Wouldn't you think that Jaylen's value (considering future potential) is pretty well established around the league at this point?  I also agree that it is unlikely they are hiding them at the cost of wins.  But I am also guilty of thoughts like this sneaking in to my brain in regards to the AD situation.  Like, how much does Morris being represented by Klutch and being in a contract year play into his playing time.  My rational side says very little, but it is also hard to ignore his production regressing to the mean while maintaining heavy minutes.

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I realize this is probably not the case - Tatum garners a lot of attention and it is well deserved - but I have been a huge Jaylen fan since he first suited up for the Cs and it is disappointing that so many other players play ahead of him. It can't be because of his defense either, obviously.

I had this thinking as well. Keeping Brown out of primary interest by the Pelicans is the only benefit from this situation.
Watching how good George has become, who had a similar start of his career as Brown, gives me great confidence in his future.

But overall I'm not sure why Rozier and Morris still play so many minutes, while it's quite obvious that they're not vital elements of the team now and probably won't be a part of our future.

On the condition that Smart and Brown stay regardless of a Davis trade, I have the feeling that the next seasons will be more important than the current season. It's like the organization is fine with however this season will end, since they're looking at the bigger picture.

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I seriously don't understand why you guys want to see Robert Williams on the court.  He's not a good player.  Constantly out of position on both sides of the court.  Just watch him play... he has no idea where to be. 

I like him as an asset.  I think he can become a good player.  And by all accounts, he has approached this season with the right attitude and work ethic.  I'm hopeful.  But right now, he's right where he belongs:  on the bench.

Williams PER is 20.

Ojeleye's PER is 9.

Williams biggest problem is that everyone keeps trying to throw him lobs, that don't work.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4066211

Marcus Smart's PER is 12.61... should Robert Williams play over him?

PER is a seriously flawed stat.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline mysteryMrE

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
Perimeter defense. Ability to matchup against forwards with perimeter skills and/or speed.

Robert Williams specialty is interior defense. Different defensive-skill set. Matches up against different sorts of players. Interior players. Paint dwellers. Slower players.

Exactly, Williams would get roasted on the perimeter by almost anyone the Bucks threw his way. Milwaukee has made a living this year by Giannis attacking and putting shooters around him. Boston lost last night by not guarding the perimeter well enough, and I find it hard to believe the Timelord would have changed that.

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2019, 01:35:49 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I wouldn't be surprised if Williams got some burn. But you can't show your hand before the playoffs, and it would be in a home game.

That doesn't make sense seeing that Brad completely disrupted the flow and chemistry of this team for the entire year for Hayward.

And I'm gonna be honest, man. Even if he gets his game together, he just doesn't have the speed to be any kind of plus with that defensive scheme.

From my view, Brad is kinda all over the place with his philosophy.

"Earn it" but disrupt a group of overachievers and then UNDERACHIEVE for the entire year...and then poop on anyone else not named Hayward.

They have a rebounding and rim protection problem, but the one guy that changes that whole dimension is sent to the G league regularly instead of getting game reps.  And let's be honest...NO ONE is switching any better without getting burnt regularly, which makes even less sense.

And to me it's because if a team knows your gonna switch EVERY SINGLE TIME, they're just gonna run you ragged every single time and then get an easy layup.

Brad is looking like Pitino to me with his unchanging system.

He hasn't changed a thing, and the results all year haven't changed.

And lol....that is not just Terry's fault like people on here act.

The best playmaker on this team is Smart, so if Kyrie is not a great playmaker, why are people trying so hard to get rid of one that's learning?

I just see so many problems that could be avoided that it worries me.

At this rate I see a second round exit and the team looking entirely different next year.

And if Danny can't see the benefit of developing what you have, then sooner or later no one's gonna care much about the strangers he puts on the floor year after year.

Except the fantasy Leaguers I guess.

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 01:45:27 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
And now I'm starting to understand why he wasn't even on the radar for coach of the year, last year.

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2019, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Oh, and it is just extremely mind-boggling that Tatum and JB are under-utilized.

That is very problematic to me. Also Williams if he doesn't have knee problems.

He should be starting right next to Al, and I guarantee you no one will be waltzing down the lane every possession.

He's [dang] near as effective changing shots as Mutombo, and not a bad rebounder at all. This year is crazy to me. And Mutombo with the same limited offense as Williams went straight to the finals with AI.

Sometimes you have to live with a players weakness just to benefit from their strengths.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:02:41 PM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 02:05:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
And now I'm starting to understand why he wasn't even on the radar for coach of the year, last year.

We really don't know what the organization is asking from him. He clearly isn't prioritizing winning over everything else so far. Ainge might want him to make some of these choices. He may think he needs to play everyone for most of the year, then narrow the rotations to the 8 best players for the playoffs. We will see what he really thinks this April.

This will not be the team we root for for the next 5 years. This is an interim team.

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 02:11:51 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

We really don't know what the organization is asking from him. He clearly isn't prioritizing winning over everything else so far. Ainge might want him to make some of these choices. He may think he needs to play everyone for most of the year, then narrow the rotations to the 8 best players for the playoffs. We will see what he really thinks this April.

This will not be the team we root for for the next 5 years. This is an interim team.

Well, then Danny would be a meddler. Owners and GM's always screw up when they do that.

And I kinda doubt Danny does that.

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Of course I'm going to be superhappy if they trade for Davis (at a reasonable price) and then it's certainly ''mission accomplished'', but we have a lot of talent right now. Couldn't we have made some moves that would help to win this season? It's like everybody around and outside the organization is already with his head into next year.

I expect more from the current roster than being an interim team. We want some real coaching and decisions by Stevens instead of riding out the season. It's like our luxury problems are being seen as real (unfixable) problems, which they're not, they're a luxury.