Author Topic: Where art thou Powe?  (Read 5306 times)

Re: Where art though Powe?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Powe's defense on Dirk last night was just as important to the win as Pierce's offense.   I'm  all for more Powe!   

Im not sure im sold on this...Was it Powe? or was it Dirks shots just rimming out, was it dirk just being dirk and not being clutch? did KG get in his head? a hat tip to Powe, but Dirk was honestly just missing shots..the best defense was pierce taking the elbow to his chin and then hitting consecutive jumpers to end the game

And I think whos better between Powe/Davis is a night-to-night thing, last night it was powe

Powe's defense was spectacular last night.  I think perhaps KG got in Dirk's head a bit, but Powe was doing a tremendous job of crowding Dirk, so he was not able to get off any clean shots.  He kept Dirk off balance, and made him completely uncomfortable shooting.  Perhaps he just missed a couple shots, but there were many which Powe had a lot to do with.

And I have probably been beating the drum as hard as anyone about Powe's defensive deficiencies.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 12:18:35 PM »

Offline MattD

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
Powe's defense on Dirk last night was just as important to the win as Pierce's offense.   I'm  all for more Powe!   

Im not sure im sold on this...Was it Powe? or was it Dirks shots just rimming out, was it dirk just being dirk and not being clutch?
The thing is, with other guys on him, Dirk was going to the basket for easy layups.  Powe forced Dirk to take contested jumpers, which -- even for Dirk -- are lower percentage shots.  So yes, Dirk was being Dirk and un-clutch, but part of that was Powe forcing him into that mode.

Powe's always been a good one-on-one defender, and the plays Dallas was running for Dirk fed right into that.

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27

Im not sure im sold on this...Was it Powe? or was it Dirks shots just rimming out, was it dirk just being dirk and not being clutch? did KG get in his head? a hat tip to Powe, but Dirk was honestly just missing shots..the best defense was pierce taking the elbow to his chin and then hitting consecutive jumpers to end the game

And I think whos better between Powe/Davis is a night-to-night thing, last night it was powe

Nah, it wasn't Powe.  Dirk was too tired going into the 4th quarter and the percentages dictated that he would start missing, that's all. Powe's defense had nothing to do with it.
Time for Powe to hibernate back to the bench.

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

Nah, it wasn't Powe.  Dirk was too tired going into the 4th quarter and the percentages dictated that he would start missing, that's all. Powe's defense had nothing to do with it.
What percentages dictated that he would start missing shots? Sounds to me like someone is searching desperately for a reason to send Leon back to the bench, when there just isn't one.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 02:59:34 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

That's pretty harsh.  I think BBD is the better all around player, but Powe is playing well right now and deserves to be on the court.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

and this has nothing to do with you being a davis booster in previous threads right?

if not,  can you provide those precentages you used to get to these conclusion based on statritical evidence please? I'm intersted in reading your crack statistical dismissal of leon based on these statistical percentages of dirk vs. undersized PF's playing good defense in the fourth quarter?

why is it so hard, for both sides, to admit they are both good bench guys who are inconsistant with decent skill sets and should be played according to who's hot and cold?

lately powe has been hot, and should play. he played well last night. after the break, davis may be hot again while leon is back to cold, who knows. You play the guy on the hot streak, which is what they are doing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:08:41 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • "Spare change?"

That's pretty harsh.  I think BBD is the better all around player, but Powe is playing well right now and deserves to be on the court.
I'm glad you're man enough to say that. Even though I like Leon a little better, I still root for BBD to succeed, and I thought a few weeks back when BBD had that run of great games that he deserved to be on the court over Powe.

Any fan that feels the need to bash his own player like that after such a great individual and team performance doesn't have his rooting priorities straight.

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White

and this has nothing to do with you being a davis booster in previous threads right?

if not,  can you provide those precentages you used to get to these conclusion based on statritical evidence please? I'm intersted in reading your crack statistical dismissal of leon based on these statistical percentages of dirk vs. undersized PF's playing good defense in the fourth quarter?

why is it so hard, for both sides, to admit they are both good bench guys who are inconsistant with decent skill sets and should be played according to who's hot and cold?

lately powe has been hot, and should play. he played well last night. after the break, davis may be hot again while leon is back to cold, who knows. You play the guy on the hot streak, which is what they are doing.

I was funnin' with Tattered who is THE biggest disser of Powe on the board (behind Chris, of course  :))  All tongue in cheek, so to speak.  If you go back and read my posts, I'm Powe's biggest booster (behind Bill, of course)!

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I was funnin' with Tattered who is THE biggest disser of Powe on the board (behind Chris, of course  :))  All tongue in cheek, so to speak.  If you go back and read my posts, I'm Powe's biggest booster (behind Bill, of course)!

my mistake then, the interwebz sarcasm strikes again :D

Staying on my post though, i remain a firm "play who's hot" guy. I take no true sides in the leon vs baby ultimate showdown some want to do.

Thier bench players. Play which ever one is playing good at the moment, it seems to swap every week and a half anyway.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White

my mistake then, the interwebz sarcasm strikes again :D

Staying on my post though, i remain a firm "play who's hot" guy. I take no true sides in the leon vs baby ultimate showdown some want to do.

Thier bench players. Play which ever one is playing good at the moment, it seems to swap every week and a half anyway.

I hear where you're coming from.  Although I'm a minority on the board, I think Powe can do so many things for the Celtics, if given the opportunity to do so. I don't think Powe is just a bench player but somebody who can give you 15/8 per game, despite the fact that his game looks "ugly" because he doesn't have a jumper or because he misses his rotations or becaue he's undersized. He has that intangible that many NBAers will never have and that's something called heart. Powe doesn't complain when he doesn't play or if his playing time bounces around like a yo-yo. Regardless of his perceived weaknesses, Powe will overcome them through hard work and dedication.  The question is....will he do this for the Celtics or another team that can afford him the playing time to develop into a legitimate NBA ballplayer?

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 03:36:13 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • "Spare change?"

And I'm wasting time arguing against tongue in cheek posts once again! This is becoming a disturbing pattern for me.  ;) At least others were fooled as well.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White

And I'm wasting time arguing against tongue in cheek posts once again! This is becoming a disturbing pattern for me.  ;) At least others were fooled as well.

I don't post enough for people to know when I'm being sarcastic or serious. I thought I'd take a different approach with Tattered this time around, though.   :)