Author Topic: Where art thou Powe?  (Read 5299 times)

Where art thou Powe?
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Is it me or is Powe a better player than BBD?  If I am correct in that assumption, why does he not get some serious PT until the 4th Q?  Was it because of our foul trouble or was it because Doc wasn't running the show?

Play some more Powe.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:38:54 AM by Redz »

Re: Where art though Powe?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:03 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Powe's defense on Dirk last night was just as important to the win as Pierce's offense.   I'm  all for more Powe!   

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I like Baby, but have to agree with you. I'd rather see Leon in a game when it really matters. He may not have the "upside" of Davis, but what he is right now is good enough.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Baby is the more consistent defender, especially in the team concept.  However, there are times where certain matchups favor either one or the other for whatever reason.

This is why we need to trust this coaching staff on this issue.  They have managed to find a few favorable matchups that I would have never seen myself.  For instance, Big Baby guards Timmay really well and Leon did fair job with Dirk considering the night the big German was having.  If you would have asked me about these matchups before I saw them with my own eyes, I'd have said we'd get torched by it.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Tell you what; I knew gerald green was not an nba player, I Telfair didn't have and defense in his bod, liked rondo & gomes early on, thought scal would help team this year..........but I can't figure out which pf is going to end up helping us more.  Powe or Davis seems to go back and forth.  skill set is davis, powe just outworks almost everyone

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:41:38 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
thought scal would help team this year

so you were wrong in one... ;)

kidding kidding,
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Powe's defense on Dirk last night was just as important to the win as Pierce's offense. 

Ditto. Powe was superb last night.

Baby is the more consistent defender, especially in the team concept.  However, there are times where certain matchups favor either one or the other for whatever reason.

This is why we need to trust this coaching staff on this issue.  They have managed to find a few favorable matchups that I would have never seen myself.

I also agree with this. None of them is good enough to be consistently productive every night; they both can be useful with the right matchups.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:17 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Powe's defense on Dirk last night was just as important to the win as Pierce's offense. 

This is why we need to trust this coaching staff on this issue.  They have managed to find a few favorable matchups that I would have never seen myself.

I also agree with this. None of them is good enough to be consistently productive every night; they both can be useful with the right matchups.
That and whenever one is playing well, the other is usually in a slump and not playing well at all. It's rare to see both do a superb job at the same time. I'm probably alone in this, but i'm more worried about the SF position then PF/C right now. Pierce can't keep playing 40+ minutes a night, hes going to burn out.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

Re: Where art thou Powe?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Is it me or is Powe a better player than BBD?  If I am correct in that assumption, why does he not get some serious PT until the 4th Q?  Was it because of our foul trouble or was it because Doc wasn't running the show?

Play some more Powe.

What are you talking about?  Powe has been the first big off the bench since the Lakers game (when he miraculously woke up from his season-long slumber).

Powe has been playing by far his best basketball of the season in this last stretch of games, and he has been rewarded for it.  I am really confused by the timing of this.

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 12:01:32 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Powe's defense on Dirk last night was just as important to the win as Pierce's offense.   I'm  all for more Powe!   

Im not sure im sold on this...Was it Powe? or was it Dirks shots just rimming out, was it dirk just being dirk and not being clutch? did KG get in his head? a hat tip to Powe, but Dirk was honestly just missing shots..the best defense was pierce taking the elbow to his chin and then hitting consecutive jumpers to end the game

And I think whos better between Powe/Davis is a night-to-night thing, last night it was powe
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 12:02:31 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
thought scal would help team this year

so you were wrong in one... ;)

kidding kidding,
good thing you are a real madrid fan (right?)
 ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:06:54 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

Im not sure im sold on this...Was it Powe? or was it Dirks shots just rimming out, was it dirk just being dirk and not being clutch? did KG get in his head? a hat tip to Powe, but Dirk was honestly just missing shots..the best defense was pierce taking the elbow to his chin and then hitting consecutive jumpers to end the game

And I think whos better between Powe/Davis is a night-to-night thing, last night it was powe

Dirk seemed to still have enough left in the tank for that quarter, but Leon was inside Dirks jersey with him. He did hit a clutch 3 and a fallaway, when the game was coming down to the wire. It's hard to say tho, imo i'll say it was Powe's defense since it could have been much worse if Dirk poured in 40+. Nothing ignites a comeback more then a few 3's at the right time, thankfully they did not fall for him.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

That and whenever one is playing well, the other is usually in a slump and not playing well at all. It's rare to see both do a superb job at the same time. I'm probably alone in this, but i'm more worried about the SF position then PF/C right now. Pierce can't keep playing 40+ minutes a night, hes going to burn out.

Yeah, I'm equally worried. This team needs a backup wing badly.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

Dirk seemed to still have enough left in the tank for that quarter, but Leon was inside Dirks jersey with him. He did hit a clutch 3 and a fallaway, when the game was coming down to the wire. It's hard to say tho, imo i'll say it was Powe's defense since it could have been much worse if Dirk poured in 40+. Nothing ignites a comeback more then a few 3's at the right time, thankfully they did not fall for him.

If Dirk makes those shots, we're asking why the heck Powe was on the 7 footer, if Pierce misses his shots Jason Kidd/Devean George would be getting praised for their defense...still a make/miss league
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • The REAL Pau Gasol

If Dirk makes those shots, we're asking why the heck Powe was on the 7 footer, if Pierce misses his shots Jason Kidd/Devean George would be getting praised for their defense...still a make/miss league
Very true, sort of like why I wonder why the ball ALWAYS just falls in Pau Gasols hands during a rebound. We'll never really know the truth of these things.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!