Author Topic: What was up with Bill Walker?  (Read 7338 times)

Re: What was up with Bill Walker?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 10:37:16 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
He looked lost, missed some rotations, and for Doc that means he won't play for another month.

I thought the move to bring him in was wrong.  I thought Gabe should have come in first.  But if Doc sees something he doesn't like from rookies or younger players in the first half, they typically don't see the light of day in the second half.

It was interesting however to see Doc forced to mix and match players.  The team actually played better when he was more or less forced to rotate players in a manner similar to what a lot of posters have been talking about.

I hope Walker gets more chances.  But it's going to be awhile before he really feels comfortable out there.
I guess the looking lost and missing rotations would explain it. However, the only way Walker is going to look more comfortable out there is if he plays more. It's not going to happen within 2 minutes after not having played for weeks.

I'll take other people's words for it if they say he was missing rotations, because I wasn't able to focus too well on the game - I'm kind of in a fog right now with the flu.
I don't get the sacrifice the team for the young guy mentality. We are a team of players who defer to what is best for the team, and people want us to give up on games to take chances on young guys.

Leave the coaching to the guys who know what they are doing.

What I don't understand is why playing someone for a few minutes a game is considered sacrificing the team. 
Because if he give Bill Walker around ten minutes a game for the rest of the season we will likely lose an additional three or four games we would have won had he not been on the court.

Also it would undercut the stated coaching philosophy of this team as far as playing time goes: "you earn your minutes".

Nonono. That's what happens when you play TA, you lose games.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He looked lost, missed some rotations, and for Doc that means he won't play for another month.

I thought the move to bring him in was wrong.  I thought Gabe should have come in first.  But if Doc sees something he doesn't like from rookies or younger players in the first half, they typically don't see the light of day in the second half.

It was interesting however to see Doc forced to mix and match players.  The team actually played better when he was more or less forced to rotate players in a manner similar to what a lot of posters have been talking about.

I hope Walker gets more chances.  But it's going to be awhile before he really feels comfortable out there.
I guess the looking lost and missing rotations would explain it. However, the only way Walker is going to look more comfortable out there is if he plays more. It's not going to happen within 2 minutes after not having played for weeks.

I'll take other people's words for it if they say he was missing rotations, because I wasn't able to focus too well on the game - I'm kind of in a fog right now with the flu.
He was pretty lost.

The problem with giving him any more minutes is that it will cost us games. Is a more experienced Bill Walker worth the difference between the 1 and 2 seed in the east? Or homecourt over the Spurs or Lakers?

I can't argue with this, since I make the same argument against POB.  Although I wouldn't be surprised if he sees a few more minutes in the first half tonight (if Ray is still out), kind of like they did with POB when Garnett was out.  Doc will have a quick hook with him, but he will likely try to have him fill in a bit, in order to get the guys a little more rest.  Especially on the second night of a back to back.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I see a lot of promise in Walker, but he's still a rookie who's mostly played in the NBDL.  He'll get another chance tonight if Ray is out, but he'll be on a very short leash again, and that's the way it should be.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Whoooooaaaa guys...

It was a 2 minute stint...he didn't look great, but it wasn't that many plays - i'm sure he'll get some more minutes tonight - doubt Gabe is going to  play 30 minutes tonight...if he looks good Walker will get more than 2 minutes...

I don't think we've seen enough of Bill Walker in real minutes to determine if he'll "cost the team games"...by the law of averages rookies are more a liability than an asset - but enough rookies contribute to winning teams that you have to see a good sample of minutes to make that determination...

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He was pretty lost.

The problem with giving him any more minutes is that it will cost us games. Is a more experienced Bill Walker worth the difference between the 1 and 2 seed in the east? Or homecourt over the Spurs or Lakers?

I can't argue with this, since I make the same argument against POB.  Although I wouldn't be surprised if he sees a few more minutes in the first half tonight (if Ray is still out), kind of like they did with POB when Garnett was out.  Doc will have a quick hook with him, but he will likely try to have him fill in a bit, in order to get the guys a little more rest.  Especially on the second night of a back to back.

With the injuries we have I would have nothing against him getting burn tonight. He'll certainly have a quick hook, much like POB did during his chance.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I don't get the sacrifice the team for the young guy mentality. We are a team of players who defer to what is best for the team, and people want us to give up on games to take chances on young guys.

Leave the coaching to the guys who know what they are doing.

What I don't understand is why playing someone for a few minutes a game is considered sacrificing the team. 
Because if he give Bill Walker around ten minutes a game for the rest of the season we will likely lose an additional three or four games we would have won had he not been on the court.

Also it would undercut the stated coaching philosophy of this team as far as playing time goes: "you earn your minutes".

Nonono. That's what happens when you play TA, you lose games.
I'm not a huge Tony Allen fan, but he is a much better contributor than Bill Walker at this point. Tony might make mental mistakes but he doesn't have the deer in headlights look that Walker did last night.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
   The kid has only played in huge blowouts, doc probably just put him in for the end of the 1st and the beginning of the 2nd to see how he could respond. He looked a little lost and a little tentative but it was most likely just nerves.

Even with a slightly disapointing showing, Doc's gonna have to get more out of him anyways becuase of the loss of Ray.

And the turnover where he went to the hoop and Paul threw it outside, then down the court, is something that happens between players that haven't played together.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 01:55:30 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
My consern would be that he doesn't start looking over at the bench every time he makes a mistake, like Gerald Green used to. I think if you're going to put him in, than put him in. I can't imagine it's good for his confidence or devoplement if he has to worry that ever time he screws up, he's out. Personally I think it's better not to play him at all.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
My consern would be that he doesn't start looking over at the bench every time he makes a mistake, like Gerald Green used to. I think if you're going to put him in, than put him in. I can't imagine it's good for his confidence or devoplement if he has to worry that ever time he screws up, he's out. Personally I think it's better not to play him at all.
I think Walker has the mental toughness that not that many players get at young ages.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder that I love.  If doc pulls him he isn't going to go GG or even TA for that matter on us.  I feel he'll grind his teeth, punch a locker and do better next time.  Think of his defense in preseason and his highlight dunks.

I do think the, minor thankfully, injuries we've had so far will help us.  We wouldn't be seeing pruitt, scal, the powe/davis combo in the same numbers or pob.  Lots of guys are getting some time to shine or otherwise.  hats tipped to doc  ::) did i say that?

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
With James Posey guarding him, who wouldn't be nervous?   :-\
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 04:13:01 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Rivers has been doing this with rookies since he came to Boston.  He sticks them in for a minute or two at a time in random situations and incrementally works them in.  I don't see this as being much different.  He's done the same thing with Pruitt this season.  With pretty much every other rookie in previous seasons.  I expect to see both Walker and O'Bryant on the court much more after the all star debacle.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Rivers has been doing this with rookies since he came to Boston.  He sticks them in for a minute or two at a time in random situations and incrementally works them in.  I don't see this as being much different.  He's done the same thing with Pruitt this season.  With pretty much every other rookie in previous seasons.  I expect to see both Walker and O'Bryant on the court much more after the all star debacle.
I think if I had phrased my OP a little better, I would have asked whether Doc had planned on only playing Walker 2 minutes, or if he yanked him because of his on-court performance. A lot of people have already commented saying "he looked lost" out there. Perhaps Walker played poorly and Doc had only planned to put him in for a few minutes.

People should probably remember that this is what Doc does, and has always done with his young guys. Even though it irks some fans, in fairness to Doc, the guy actually has a pretty good track record of developing young players, whether you attribute their success to him or not.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

Gerald Green was looking over at the bench because he doesn't know simple plays. He has the basketball mind of cellular molecule. It's just not there with that kid.

He could of been good, but when you don't start playing basketball till what was it, his sophomore year in HS? then you get drafted to the pros in the first round after your senior year in HS and thrown into the fire... Just doesn't work for some people.

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I thought his performance was good, he guarded Posey well, and he didn't try to force anything to make a good impression (creating a bad impression) i honestly think that he planned to play him under 5 minutes.

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
I thought his performance was good, he guarded Posey well, and he didn't try to force anything to make a good impression (creating a bad impression) i honestly think that he planned to play him under 5 minutes.

Well, his negatives kind of out weighed the positives... He didn't connect with Pierce, and he could of taken a jump shot but for the most part I agree.

Not much you can really do in under 3 minutes, but he did have a board, that's a positive, i guess.