Author Topic: What was up with Bill Walker?  (Read 7339 times)

What was up with Bill Walker?
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:24:41 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Doc inserts him into the game late in the 1st, and then after a couple of minutes, he's done for the night. Doc must have really disliked his performance, to yank him for Gabe and then to not put him back in for the rest of the evening, despite the Celtics being down 2 shooting guards. Was he really that bad in 2 minutes of action? Was he missing a bunch of rotations or something? He had the one miscommunication with Pierce, but that's only one mistake. I don't get it, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Re: What was up with Bill Walker?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:27:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Putting him in is taking a risk. Can't expect a coach to continue with the risk if it doesn't look promising.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:32:31 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
He looked lost, missed some rotations, and for Doc that means he won't play for another month.

I thought the move to bring him in was wrong.  I thought Gabe should have come in first.  But if Doc sees something he doesn't like from rookies or younger players in the first half, they typically don't see the light of day in the second half.

It was interesting however to see Doc forced to mix and match players.  The team actually played better when he was more or less forced to rotate players in a manner similar to what a lot of posters have been talking about.

I hope Walker gets more chances.  But it's going to be awhile before he really feels comfortable out there.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
He looked lost, missed some rotations, and for Doc that means he won't play for another month.

I thought the move to bring him in was wrong.  I thought Gabe should have come in first.  But if Doc sees something he doesn't like from rookies or younger players in the first half, they typically don't see the light of day in the second half.

It was interesting however to see Doc forced to mix and match players.  The team actually played better when he was more or less forced to rotate players in a manner similar to what a lot of posters have been talking about.

I hope Walker gets more chances.  But it's going to be awhile before he really feels comfortable out there.
I think Doc gave him a look at safe part of the game, but once Ray was out, he went with Gabe simply because he was the better match up and he's more calm out there.  Gabe was solid...not great, but solid.

I loved the combo of Eddie and Rondo in this game together.  That match up really opened up things inside for Leon who also played solid.  Good win.  Get well Ray.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:44:42 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

I guess the looking lost and missing rotations would explain it. However, the only way Walker is going to look more comfortable out there is if he plays more. It's not going to happen within 2 minutes after not having played for weeks.

I'll take other people's words for it if they say he was missing rotations, because I wasn't able to focus too well on the game - I'm kind of in a fog right now with the flu.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I guess the looking lost and missing rotations would explain it. However, the only way Walker is going to look more comfortable out there is if he plays more. It's not going to happen within 2 minutes after not having played for weeks.

I'll take other people's words for it if they say he was missing rotations, because I wasn't able to focus too well on the game - I'm kind of in a fog right now with the flu.
He was pretty lost.

The problem with giving him any more minutes is that it will cost us games. Is a more experienced Bill Walker worth the difference between the 1 and 2 seed in the east? Or homecourt over the Spurs or Lakers?

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:22:36 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
What was up is that he was lost, plain and simple.  More minutes for him and Gabe tonight, would have meant an L.  I really don't understand why people can't understand the nuance of playing as a team.  He was not fitting in with the way the Hornets were playing D, and knowing where to go and when.  Pruitt was not much different.   Go ahead, keep roasting Doc for his vindictive habit of burying the young guys as many here characterize it.  How he managed things led the team to #17, and the best record in the East this year.  His job is to win games, period.  Not to integrate guys, sacrificing wins now for their development later. 

You just cannot focus on a players individual skills as a reason to play them.  It is about fit, roles, and understanding what is needed.  It is very rare for a young player to be experienced enough to get it without the team taking a step backwards while they learn.  With Cleveland and LA both fighting neck and neck with the C's for the best record, Doc is just not going to commit minutes to help guys come along.  Accept it. It does not mean he hates young players or has some agenda.  If he does have an agenda, it is to win the current game, every game, and he has done one helluva job with that over the past 2 seasons.  Those who want to characterize this as some Doc flaw, just don't get it and never will I am afraid.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:51:54 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I don't get the sacrifice the team for the young guy mentality. We are a team of players who defer to what is best for the team, and people want us to give up on games to take chances on young guys.

Leave the coaching to the guys who know what they are doing.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
What was up is that he was lost, plain and simple.  More minutes for him and Gabe tonight, would have meant an L.  I really don't understand why people can't understand the nuance of playing as a team.  He was not fitting in with the way the Hornets were playing D, and knowing where to go and when.  Pruitt was not much different.   Go ahead, keep roasting Doc for his vindictive habit of burying the young guys as many here characterize it.  How he managed things led the team to #17, and the best record in the East this year.  His job is to win games, period.  Not to integrate guys, sacrificing wins now for their development later. 

You just cannot focus on a players individual skills as a reason to play them.  It is about fit, roles, and understanding what is needed.  It is very rare for a young player to be experienced enough to get it without the team taking a step backwards while they learn.  With Cleveland and LA both fighting neck and neck with the C's for the best record, Doc is just not going to commit minutes to help guys come along.  Accept it. It does not mean he hates young players or has some agenda.  If he does have an agenda, it is to win the current game, every game, and he has done one helluva job with that over the past 2 seasons.  Those who want to characterize this as some Doc flaw, just don't get it and never will I am afraid.
While I agree with most of your post and understand where you are coming from, the bigger picture becomes: Who will start and play if Ray needs to miss a few games? I think everyone loved seeing Eddie out there but he is needed on the bench. Scal or Tony? Both will stay on the injured list until next week it seems.

That only leaves Walker, Pruitt and Giddens. I guess Pruitt is the easy choice for experience, but you cant really rule the other two guys out. How many times do we see a young guy get his 'real' chance at mid season and impress with a nice performance. Of course just as many blow it, as some may say Walker just did.

I remain optimistic that Giddens or possibily one of the other two will take that step soon. I love the way Doc handles the team's playing time and rotations for the most part. I also believe it is Doc's job to get the young guys ready for that performance or cut them loose if they remain lost. That all may require making the best of a bad situation here.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
On the present team rookies are started carefully. If they play well they stay in for awhile, if not, just short spurts. Walker was put in at a time when the game was in question. If he stayed longer and really screwed up it would not help his confidence level. That's something Doc is real careful about. We fans do not know how fragile Walker is mentally. Even Doc may not have a good idea of this yet. So Doc lets him get his feet wet. This may continue for a few games. If Walker takes the opportunity to shine he may get more playing time. Doc has initiated Powe and Davis into the system this way and it seems to work. Forgot Rondo too. He was started playing short minutes which extended as Doc got to know him better. He's still an unfinished product, but he's proven that failure does not deter him.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:28:01 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Also, Walker will not be the savior of this team so he should be thankful for any playing time he gets. We are no longer a developmental team as we were three years ago.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:33:10 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

I don't get the sacrifice the team for the young guy mentality. We are a team of players who defer to what is best for the team, and people want us to give up on games to take chances on young guys.

What I don't understand is why playing someone for a few minutes a game is considered sacrificing the team. 

The last time I looked this website is about talking about the Celtics. Using your argument, we should leave the coaching, the playing, the announcing, and whatever else to the people whose job it is to do those things.  So there's not much left to talk about.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:42:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

What I don't understand is why playing someone for a few minutes a game is considered sacrificing the team. 
Because if he give Bill Walker around ten minutes a game for the rest of the season we will likely lose an additional three or four games we would have won had he not been on the court.

Also it would undercut the stated coaching philosophy of this team as far as playing time goes: "you earn your minutes".

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Walker looked a bit lost.  I feel he is a sf anyways.  Pruitt did well but I think if he is a starter for when ray is out he can do MUCH better.  I'd love for him to start and get some confidence and good looks.  Eddie can come off bench easier.  I would like to see Walker get some minutes at sf with ta & scal out, even just 5 a game.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Doc inserts him into the game late in the 1st, and then after a couple of minutes, he's done for the night. Doc must have really disliked his performance, to yank him for Gabe and then to not put him back in for the rest of the evening, despite the Celtics being down 2 shooting guards. Was he really that bad in 2 minutes of action? Was he missing a bunch of rotations or something? He had the one miscommunication with Pierce, but that's only one mistake. I don't get it, but maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.
I think Doc figured its  wasn't  a good time to leave him in after the miscommunication happened.We wasn't playing good enough as a team last night to take a few chances on it getting worst.He probably will get another opportunity in another game down the road,maybe  tonight.Im not reading a lot into it just bad timing on playing a rookie last night.