Author Topic: What happened to Gabe?  (Read 1629 times)

What happened to Gabe?
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I realise he had a couple of games where he played pretty badly but...

I thought one of the main reasons for our very strong 12 game surge was that Gabe was coming off the bench at the point. This allowed Eddie to play the off guard position and just run off picks and try to get open to score.

Eddie became, during that stretch, a key offensive score for our second unit which really helped the team dominate. He solved probably our bench's biggest problem which is they struggle massively to score consistently...

Gabe has a bad game, TAllen comes back, Eddie goes back to the point, and we once again look very awkward and inefficient on offense with the second unit.

I mean, I understand Gabe had a couple bad games, but he also did some very good things during the stretch as well, especially on defense.

The rela factor though was Eddie was allowed to paly the way he should...

Anyone else notice this?

Re: What happened to Gabe?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Several long threads and a nice frontpage fanpost by Nickagneta discussing this at length. Definitely noticed and discussed at great length, I and a few others agree with your observation.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Gabe did allow Eddie to play off the ball and Eddie played well in that role, but Gabe himself hasn't played well enough to take minutes from Tony Allen.  Gabe has been unimpressive.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 07:04:01 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Oh, missed the other thread.

Bankshot, I don't think TAllen or Gabe a re particulalry "impressive" either. Each has his strengths and weaknesses.

But the one thing Gabe did was allow Eddie to be an off guard and I thought that had a much bigger and better impact on the team, especially the second unit, than what Tony Allen brings.

Eddie was on fire during that stretch.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I don't look at Gabe's offense much since I know he can hit the shot if he needs to. He impresses me ALOT on defense, the kid is a great defender. If I was Doc I would split TA's mins with Gabe's.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
With almost any team, defense is the thing that keeps young players off the court. NBA defensive schemes have become thoroughly complex. Being a great on-ball defender doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be an effective defender within the team's defensive scheme.

The only other major thing keeping a young guy from getting PT is if he plays the point and is turnover prone or doesn't understand the offense.

So, with Pruitt, I don't seem him having problems with TOs - he seems to handle ball pressure just fine. I don't think he's a master with running the offense, but he's probably not a liability in that department either. And while he appears to have the makings of a quality defender, I can only conclude that team defense is the biggest reason you don't see more of him on the court. But I haven't watched for it in great detail, to be honest. It's relatively easy to see when a big man doesn't rotate to meet a guy at the rim, but sometimes it's a little harder to spot missed defensive rotations on the perimeter, especially at the top of the key where the PG usually plays.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
With almost any team, defense is the thing that keeps young players off the court. NBA defensive schemes have become thoroughly complex. Being a great on-ball defender doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be an effective defender within the team's defensive scheme.

The only other major thing keeping a young guy from getting PT is if he plays the point and is turnover prone or doesn't understand the offense.
Sadly the C's play a pretty simple scheme. But it requires a lot of effort and most Rookies struggle with adjust to the NBA. Especially if they aren't force fed minutes on a lottery team.