Author Topic: Why the Celtics are bugging me  (Read 10699 times)

Re: Why the Celtics are bugging me
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 05:55:25 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Dude is right, the Lakers have stepped up a lot this year. From last year, anyway. Saying that they're better than or even close to the Showtime Lakers is an absolute joke, and in my opinion they're not even quite where they were with Shaq and Kobe - they weren't as deep then but Fisher was better, they had guys who came in and made shots when needed, Kobe was not quite as good then as he is now but this team has nothing on Shaq, who was in his apex of being an unstoppable force in the early part of this decade (he alone with any power forward was better than Gasol and Bynum together now) - but they are very good and much improved from last year, which was a good team that just faced a buzzsaw.  

Their toughness (albeit in a regular season game, but one with playoff intensity for surt) really surprised and impressed me on Thursday. They didn't back down, they didn't let the Celtics put them away when Boston had several opportunities to do so. They outplayed the Celtics in the Garden, not a small feat. I just want to see them do it consistently.

We all see the problems with the Celtics. They have no backup center, and no backup point. They can't go small like they could last year, so they're more limited. And there's always the question of age. On the other hand, their starters are playing better together than ever before, since they now have a year and a half under their belts, Ray Allen has adjusted to his new role much better than he ever did last year, and Rondo has emerged from question mark to All Star candidate, bringing a new dimension to their offense.

For the Lakers, they're playing better, but I think you might be ignoring some big problems there if you're proclaiming them among the best teams ever. Everybody's going nuts over Lamar Odom right now. But haven't we been down this road before? He is wildly inconsistent and over time, self-combusts. And have you noticed how much better Gasol plays without Bynum? I mean, Gasol can't play defense anyway, so having Bynum won't help him (even if it does help the team) on that end. But when Gasol's on the offensive end with Bynum, he can't get his inside passing game going as well as he can with Odom, and that is the thing that makes him a special player. So how is Bynum's return going to make them appreciably better all around, when he's gonna have to readjust, Gasol's offensive game will take a step back (and Gasol's offensive game is an IMMENSE part of why the Lakers are so good) and we don't know when exactly he will return? That's not to get into the fact that your point guard situation is suspect at best, good defenses keep Bryant from penetrating and force him to be a shooter, which he is good but not great at, and Ariza still gives them very little on the offensive end but is their only non-Kobe wing defender.  It is a very good team, but they have enough questions that it's wildly premature to call them the best Laker team ever, or one of the greatest teams of all time.

Fact is, I still would take the Celtics with a healthy Kevin Garnett in a seven game series that is well officiated (I didn't think the calls on Thursday were tremendously one-sided, but it was just poor poor officiating). But that Laker team is going to be tough for anybody, San Antonio, Cleveland or Boston, to get past.

Now, his comments on the Celtics, those are his opinions, he's certainly not the only one who thinks the Celtics have become too full of themselves for their own good. I think they will ratchet up the playing intensity as we get closer to the playoffs, and I still think the Celtics have more talent in their starting lineup than almost anybody else has on their entire teams. But they do need to show it a bit more on the court.

When it counts. In May and June.

Discoflux, I hope we meet in the Finals again, that game last week looked more like a preview than anything else. Hopefully, we'll get through Cleveland and get another chance to bring you back to the 60s when our "rivalry" consisted of you consistently losing to us in the Finals. But I think it would be an absolutely epic series, better than last year, with or without Bynum.

But that doesn't mean these teams are better than the past great versions of these teams.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 06:15:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
A reminder regarding the rules:

Celticsblog welcomes fans of all teams to engage is respectful commentary and debate.  However, attacking or insulting the Celtics, Celtics fans, or Celticsblog moderators will result in an immediate and permanent ban.  There will be no tolerance for baiting, trolling, or other disrespectful conduct.

Do not label fellow posters in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response.  Dependent upon context, examples include, but are not limited to, "fake fan", "bandwagon fan", "not a real fan", "hater", "homer", "koolaid drinker", etc.

Fans from other teams are welcome here.  Don't label them a troll just because they support their team, if they're willing to engage in civil debate.  Discoflux is one of the few Lakers fans who survived the purge of trolls last year, because he's at least respectful (if over enthusiastic and wearing purple colored glasses).

As for the point of this thread, lots of teams are saying the Celtics have become over-cocky, starting with our role players.  I can see why it rubs fans the wrong way, and a thread to gauge Celtics fans reactions to that isn't against our rules.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Opposing players complaining about the Celtics players being cocky or talking too much during the game is one of the lamest things in sports.  Last year, it was "they haven't done anything yet".  Now that they can't use that excuse, they try something else.  But what it boils down to is there own insecurities, and trying their best to deflect attention from what's was at hand, which in most cases is a Celtics win.

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
As some have said before Lakers are overly cocky as well and they have not even won the championship last year. But since the Celtics did win they are the only ones labeled this. Yes, last year it was 'they have not done anything yet' and now they have Celtics are 'cocky.' Celtics can  never win in this type of situation.

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2009, 07:02:41 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm not talking trash... just stating my observation.

Thanks for the input - I appreciate hearing opinions from your side of the country.

For those that don't realize the Lakers have stepped up this year in talent and toughness, you'll have another thing coming.  41-9 should say a lot... but ignore it at your own peril. 

Like I said, we want a rematch and if we lose I am jumping off a building (added benefit to this board, no more posts from me) 

I hate you guys.

Peace,
DF

Everyone knows they're 41-9. People also realize that they've played 5 more home games than road games and, more importantly, their defense has tailed off significantly since they led the league over much of the first month. The Lakers are closer to the Magic than the Cavs or the Celts.

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186

Thanks for the input - I appreciate hearing opinions from your side of the country.

For those that don't realize the Lakers have stepped up this year in talent and toughness, you'll have another thing coming.  41-9 should say a lot... but ignore it at your own peril. 

Like I said, we want a rematch and if we lose I am jumping off a building (added benefit to this board, no more posts from me) 

I hate you guys.

Peace,
DF

Dear Disco,

Ummm....I am not sure telling people you hate them is a way to win the "Show Me The Love" Valentine Day contest.

Also, you state after telling everyone you hate them (and I have to assume you are excluding me, I am part of the "in crowd" on Celticsblog after all) that this is your last post yet you've posted at least 3 more times.  That in of itself seems a bit contradictory to me.

So, in the spirit of Valentine's day I am asking you to reconsider your hate of the others and reconsider your last post statement so that you don't contradict yourself.

Your friend,
SSFan

Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

I hate you guys.

Peace,
DF

Dear Disco,

Ummm....I am not sure telling people you hate them is a way to win the "Show Me The Love" Valentine Day contest.

Also, you state after telling everyone you hate them (and I have to assume you are excluding me, I am part of the "in crowd" on Celticsblog after all) that this is your last post yet you've posted at least 3 more times.  That in of itself seems a bit contradictory to me.

So, in the spirit of Valentine's day I am asking you to reconsider your hate of the others and reconsider your last post statement so that you don't contradict yourself.

Your friend,
SSFan

I like it SSFan. Also, he may say he hates us, but he does end it with "Peace." That seems like a nice gesture. If a Hallmark holiday can't get someone to change a long held belief, then I just don't know what can.

Also, you should petition to have your name's color changed at the top to signify your in crowd status.

Overall, nice gesture though. TP for you and one for Hallmark.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i can't wait to beat the Spurs in the finals.

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 06:51:46 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

By the way, nice job jinxing your boys. Post here about what a juggernaut they are every time they have a tough game coming up and we'll finish 5-6 games ahead of you in the standings.

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 07:57:42 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
"Why the Celtics are bugging me"... well because we utterly destroyed you in the Finals. I don't think you need to go any further than that.

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63

Peace,
DF

For those that don't realize (especially surprising if you are a lakers fan) you guys were 35-4 after you got gasol last year, best record in the league from that point on and a better winning percentage then this years team. That was the reason so manny "experts" had you guys winning in 5 or 6. So, technically you have actually taken a step back...

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Awww.  The Celtics bug you.  Poor baby.

The Lakers are the discarded corn niblets in my excrement.  While the multiple specks of "yellow" in the poo might fascinate me, I give them little thought and flush them down into the sewer.

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
41-9 should say a lot... but ignore it at your own peril. 
Wow...Karma is a b-word.  Make it 41-10 now.  JAZZ!!!