Author Topic: Why the Celtics are bugging me  (Read 10702 times)

Why the Celtics are bugging me
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:32:45 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 22
I respect the Celtics but I have a few issues.  Last year they were the hardest working team in the NBA.  This year they are so [dang] SMUG. 

The team has a certain 'cult of personality' that comes from a. KG and b. winning the title last year. 

KG, Pierce, Allen and FRICKIN RONDO have this face they put on.  So smug is all I can describe it as.  They act like they deserve every call.  If they get beat and scored on they act like it doesn't faze them when you know it does.

KG refuses to allow a shot after a whistle by blocking everything just to make a point.  That is fine with me, whatever, make your statement... but then he shoots after the whistle on the other end. 

The Celtics grab, push, and hold on screens more than any team I have ever seen since the 80's.  And RARELY get called for it.  They elbow kidneys, do every low blow cheap move in the book.  This can be effective, but getting away with it sucks when other teams suffer foul calls for it.

Other than that I appreciate the way the Celtics play their game, with heart and passion.  I just wondered if you guys see the team as too [dang] smug and if you see all the cheap shots during the game.

Re: Why the Celtics are bugging me
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
If you're trying to get nominated for that Valentine's thread, this is NOT the way to go about it.  ;)

I'll say this.  The Celtics are not bugging me.  I respect and admire the level of intensity they play with.  The teamwork and unity they show, and just there overall skill on the basketball court is a thing of beauty and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I respect the Celtics but I have a few issues.  Last year they were the hardest working team in the NBA.  This year they are so [dang] SMUG. 

The team has a certain 'cult of personality' that comes from a. KG and b. winning the title last year. 

KG, Pierce, Allen and FRICKIN RONDO have this face they put on.  So smug is all I can describe it as.  They act like they deserve every call.  If they get beat and scored on they act like it doesn't faze them when you know it does.

KG refuses to allow a shot after a whistle by blocking everything just to make a point.  That is fine with me, whatever, make your statement... but then he shoots after the whistle on the other end. 

The Celtics grab, push, and hold on screens more than any team I have ever seen since the 80's.  And RARELY get called for it.  They elbow kidneys, do every low blow cheap move in the book.  This can be effective, but getting away with it sucks when other teams suffer foul calls for it.

Other than that I appreciate the way the Celtics play their game, with heart and passion.  I just wondered if you guys see the team as too [dang] smug and if you see all the cheap shots during the game.

It's probably pretty hard not to be smug the way they dismantled the Lakers in game 6. FRICKIN Rondo (really it Rajon) would have had a quadruple double (with steals) if the game hadn't been such a laugher.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If this turns into a Lakers/Celtics shouting match, its locked.

Please proceed with caution and keep things on topic.  Consider this the thread's one warning.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
 It's probably pretty hard not to be smug the way they dismantled the Lakers in game 6. FRICKIN Rondo (really it Rajon) would have had a quadruple double (with steals) if the game hadn't been such a laugher.

I'm not going to lie, Game 6 stings like a btch.  Its not going to go away for a long time, or perhaps unless there is some SERIOUS payback.  That game is going to be in Lakerland craw for a long time.  You probably cannot understand the bad blood brewing from that game and series.  If there is a rematch the Lakers are going to DESTROY the Celtics.  If we meet in the Finals and the Celtics win again.... I will kill myself  :P  That will not be fun.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
You are allowing your passions to cloud your judgment.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
Haha, this guy is a Lakers fan?  A Lakers fan is complaining about another team's players being SMUG??  A Lakers fan?  You mean the Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Phil Jackson Lakers??  Those Lakers??

Oh man, this thread better get locked now, cuz it's not gonna go anywhere.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
boo hoo

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:58:39 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
Haha, this guy is a Lakers fan?  A Lakers fan is complaining about another team's players being SMUG??  A Lakers fan?  You mean the Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Phil Jackson Lakers??  Those Lakers??

Kobe Bryant I'll give you that one.  But this Lakers team are the hard working team Celtics were last year while Celtics are so self-absorbed it is now a weakness.  This is my perception, i could be wrong.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I feel like Celtics fans are the ones who are getting smug, not the team.

...as you might have noticed.  ::)

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser
Why didn't the Celtics keep Posey?  A few extra million to keep the Championsip depth?  What happened??

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 03:01:40 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
Why didn't the Celtics keep Posey?  A few extra million to keep the Championsip depth?  What happened??

So now it's management that's smug?

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 03:01:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm not going to lie, Game 6 stings like a btch.  Its not going to go away for a long time, or perhaps unless there is some SERIOUS payback.  That game is going to be in Lakerland craw for a long time.  You probably cannot understand the bad blood brewing from that game and series.  If there is a rematch the Lakers are going to DESTROY the Celtics.

Why, because last year the lakers didn't really want to win?

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Kobe Bryant I'll give you that one.  But this Lakers team are the hard working team Celtics were last year while Celtics are so self-absorbed it is now a weakness.  This is my perception, i could be wrong.

Again?

That's what I'm saying.  I think you guys will be surprised by this Lakers team.  Remember when the Patriots won their recent first Super Bowl, what was it 6 years ago?  Remember how Tom Brady (who?) and the whole team was under the radar?  I think the Lakers are a lot like that right now.  Those Patriots became one of the best NFL teams of all time.  I think that is the best example of where the Lakers are at.

I would say equal to Showtime.  If somehow Kobe/Pau/Lamar/Radman/Fish/Vujacic/Ariza could play Mag/Worthy/Kareem/Coop/Scott/McAdoo (all players in their prime) I think it would be a 2pt game in the 4th quarter.

I know it sounds whack, but let's talk at the end of the series and see how it looks then.

To me, it looks like you still don't understand how important is the point that the Lakers can't defend or rebound like the Celtics. Last season the were a better version of the 80's Lakers, this season they are a hard working team like the '09 Celtics... same old, same old.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »

Offline Discoflux

• Sam Hauser