Author Topic: Sam v. Pruitt  (Read 3762 times)

Sam v. Pruitt
« on: February 11, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Who would you prefer be the backup point guard in the playoffs?  I'm sure most of us would prefer Marbury, but if we don't get him it's either Sam or Pruitt.

Most of us have wanted Pruitt playing alongside House to have a real point guard on the second unit, but I haven't been impressed with Pruitt's play.  He has given House the opportunity to play the 2, but other than that, I don't think Pruitt does a good job of running the offense and is tentative with his own offense.  Maybe he'll improve with more playing time (if he gets more time), but I'm just not impressed with his play at all.

I'd prefer to see Sam take those minutes alongside House.  I am assuming Doc is saving Sam for the playoffs in case we don't get Marbury.

I'd like to see Sam get some time now.  I want to see if he's learned the offense and will be a willing passer or if he's still going to jack up shots like he did last year. :-\  I'm sure Doc doesn't care that I'd like to see Sam play now though. :P
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Sam v. Pruitt
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Most probably Eddie House, except if Cassell miraculously recovers his mojo or we make changes that add a significant amount of outside firepower to the other positions. You won't be seeing House playing at the 2 in the playoffs for more than some (very limited) spot minutes.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:02:02 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I would prefer sam...Gabe has done nothing, and its questionable whether or not he should even be in the league...
Neither of them are ideal
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Sam for me without giving it too much thought. Hopefully his middle-range jumper is going down.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:45:41 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I'll take the veteran, although thinking about watching Sam chuck up shots in last years playoffs is making me cringe a little.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If he has anything left in the tank, then Sam.  But right now, no one knows what he has, except those who are at practice. 

But really all I care about is that House is allowed to play off the ball, and Tony Allen (if he is on the court at all) is not asked to do anything more than make cuts along the baseline looking for offensive rebounds, or dishes when his man helps.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If he has anything left in the tank, then Sam.  But right now, no one knows what he has, except those who are at practice. 

But really all I care about is that House is allowed to play off the ball, and Tony Allen (if he is on the court at all) is not asked to do anything more than make cuts along the baseline looking for offensive rebounds, or dishes when his man helps.
I think it is likely he has something left in the tank. Early last year he played better than he did late in the year with Boston. Some of that was likely scheme and pressure, but the wear and tear of a full season could not have helped. I think he'll get some burn after the all-star break.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 11:30:30 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The fact that Pruitt has been taken out of the rotation guarantees that he's not going to be developed enough for playoff minutes. 

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I think it is likely he has something left in the tank. Early last year he played better than he did late in the year with Boston. Some of that was likely scheme and pressure, but the wear and tear of a full season could not have helped. I think he'll get some burn after the all-star break.

This is how I have felt all year.  But lately I have been wavering a little bit based on statements on Doc (although I think I was reading into them too much). 

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I'll take the veteran, although thinking about watching Sam chuck up shots in last years playoffs is making me cringe a little.

I could not agree more about his play last year. As far as I remember he was awful except for the one game he got hot in the 4th quarter. He didn't pass the ball and kept chucking up off target jumpers. As I recall, Doc finally sat him down and put House back in at the point. To be honest, I was shocked that they resigned him. He did nothing to impress me last year. While I'm not sold on Pruitt at least he brings some height and defense to that position. I'll go with him if that's the two I have to choose from.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
Hmmm....let's see, severely aged Sam Cassell, who will likely be unable to play little or no defense against opposing 1 or 2 guards, paired with one trick pony, dagger throwing Eddie House, who struggles defensively against decent back-up point guards and who would absolutely get destroyed by almost every backup 2 guard in the league.  And we're thinking of putting these two no-defense chuckers in the same backcourt on a team that was built on defense???? 

Mark it down, Pruitt will play in the backcourt now that TA has suffered another injury.  We just can't change the entire makeup of our team to accommodate a backcourt of chuckers, chuckers who can't defend their natural positions and who would put the rest of the defense at a huge disadvantage, leading to early foul trouble among other calamities.   

Cassell's value is as a shotmaker coming off the bench.  Barring injury, we aren't going to see him unless House is struggling to make shots.  And if we do see him, he'll be flanked by another guard who actually defends.
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I would prefer sam...Gabe has done nothing, and its questionable whether or not he should even be in the league...
Neither of them are ideal
Gabe hasn't played a lot of minutes, but when he has he has done what he was asked to do, including playing D and knocking down open shots.  Last time I checked, that is something we needed.  TA can only play D and Sam can only hit shots.  What makes Gabe "not" an NBA player?

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
In January, in games that Pruitt played more than 9 minutes, House averaged 13 pts and shot around 53%.  In games Pruitt played less than 9 minutes, House averaged about 4 pts and shot about 35%.  This was the period where Pruitt was playing more due to a Tony Allen injury

I am sure that Gabe will be playing again with Tony Allen injured.  Let's see if this has an impact again on Eddie's numbers.

For the record, I believe we need to play Pruitt.  House is fine at defending PG's but he is essentially playing out of position when forced to play the point.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
if you measure out all the issues with marbury and all the pros for Sam i think it works out like this.

PROS

SAM
knows the system
is a good locker room presence
good offensively
rested
has been practicing all season

STEPH
good offensively
rested

CONS

SAM
age may have finally caught up with him
sometimes shoots when he should pass

STEPH
crazy
abandoned KG in minny, don't feel that trust is there
bad influence on young talent "show me the money" attitude.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
if you measure out all the issues with marbury and all the pros for Sam i think it works out like this.

PROS

SAM
knows the system
is a good locker room presence
good offensively
rested
has been practicing all season

STEPH
good offensively
rested

CONS

SAM
age may have finally caught up with him
sometimes shoots when he should pass

STEPH
crazy
abandoned KG in minny, don't feel that trust is there
bad influence on young talent "show me the money" attitude.

Right, but it all comes down to who is the better basketball player right now.  If Sam is cooked, and Steph plays like he did in the preseason, I think that trumps everything.