Author Topic: J.R.Giddens looking good  (Read 3279 times)

J.R.Giddens looking good
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
D-League webcasts can be a bit boring but it’s also a golden opportunity to see our young guys play (since Doc won’t play them). Right now, I don’t think Billy Walker needs to prove he was a steal by Ainge. But I needed to make up my mind about J.R. Giddens, so I watched the last two quarters of Utah’s 113-100 win at Fort Wayne.

Although you can seen J.R.'s numbers (below) let me tell you about this guy's attitude. I mean, here’s a guy that comes from the NBA champions to the D-League and plays hard. Almost like he’s happy just to be there, playing basketball. Always very active, always clapping and trying to get his teammates involved. He doesn’t play selfish like some of those young guys. He almost seems not to belong there.

I think J.R. can be a good, all-around player in the NBA. Not a superstar -- but definitely an effective rotation player.
Some plays (and his attitude) caught my attention: 
-   a finesse dunk in the 3rd quarter
-   a beautiful, flying-across lay up in the 4th quarter
-   he was dominating the first minutes of the 4th actually  (rebounding, playing D, scoring)
-   hit a big shot (a three) with 2 minutes to go

His ballhandling needs some work but with, Tony Allen injured I really would like to see J.R. get some minutes. He deserves it.  

@Fort Wayne: 20 pts, 9-13 from the field, 5 rebs, 4 ast,  33 min

Re: J.R.Giddens looking good
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP, thanks for the update!
Good to hear JR is doing well.  I bet he will contribute, in spurts, next year.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
No reason for him not to see the floor in garbage time if Tony is truly out for while. He can play next to Gabe with a Walker, Baby/Powe/Scal, POB frontline. Did I just say that? Scary man.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:32 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
With Tony Allen out, JR should get a chance right after the break.  All he needs is a chance and he won't relinquish it.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think anyone questions his enthusiasm, he just needs to work on the mental part of the game.

To be honest, I am not sure how much use playing in the D-league is going to be for him at this point.  They simply don't teach the system that Giddens really needs to learn down there.  

BTW, I don't think I have seen this comparison before, but does he remind anyone else of a young Ron Artest?  I don't think he is nearly as good as Artest is/was, but from the little I have seen of him, he seems to have a similar attitude (both good and bad).  

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 12:19:15 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Thanks for the update. I think all the young guys need some time on the court. With all these injuries and illness we are getting pretty thin.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 01:20:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
BTW, I don't think I have seen this comparison before, but does he remind anyone else of a young Ron Artest?  I don't think he is nearly as good as Artest is/was, but from the little I have seen of him, he seems to have a similar attitude (both good and bad).  

Ouch...  Can you clarify what you're basing your remarks on?  Saying that somebody has a similar bad attitude to Ron Artest is sort of the kiss of death, isn't it?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 03:07:26 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Ouch...  Can you clarify what you're basing your remarks on?  Saying that somebody has a similar bad attitude to Ron Artest is sort of the kiss of death, isn't it?

a comparison that he got was actually the 2 guard version of Rondo, becuase of his relentless hustle on the boards. but his defense as also been one of his callings so i guess a comparison to artest isn't bad.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:10:49 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Yeah, I was also puzzled. Besides that, the OP stresses that Giddens seems selfless; Artest is one of the most selfish basketball players I've ever seen.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154

a comparison that he got was actually the 2 guard version of Rondo, becuase of his relentless hustle on the boards. but his defense as also been one of his callings so i guess a comparison to artest isn't bad.

When it comes to attitude, yes, an Artest comparison is bad.

I still look at it like Ainge brought in these two kids, in conjunction with keeping Allen, to pick up some of the slack from Posey so I like to hear anything good coming from either of them. I sort of hope one of them can get a rotation spot for the playoffs, ideally Walker if he can develop the ability to defend bigger 3s and smaller, more perimeter oriented 4s. 
Go Celtics.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Walker > Giddens for the Celtics. but i really feel that if JR was on a lesser team he could be a MAJOR contributor.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
BTW, I don't think I have seen this comparison before, but does he remind anyone else of a young Ron Artest?  I don't think he is nearly as good as Artest is/was, but from the little I have seen of him, he seems to have a similar attitude (both good and bad). 

I don't know, it really is completely out of nowhere, I know, but his combination of over the top energy and aggresiveness reminds me a bit of young Artest (like when he was with the Bulls)...and he also seems to have a very enigmatic personality.

This is obviously based on very little evidence, so definitely take it with a grain of salt...but it is just a feeling I get.