Author Topic: Is anyone else tired of hearing...  (Read 6160 times)

Re: Is anyone else tired of hearing...
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
They also played their best ball against the best teams last year (6-2) and are 1-4 against them this year. We were also dominant in our own building. They didn't just magically "turn it on" last year in the playoffs. They had one little slump against some pretty good teams. Home court throughout was what got them that banner. Losing games to the elite isn't going to get you home court throughout this year. Especially when we aren't dominant at home anymore. There is reason to worry. Hiding our heads in the sand and PRETENDING we are as good as last year will just lead us to disappointment.

If Orlanda all of a sudden isnt an elite team, we're 1-4... they swept LA and have been an elite team this year. we're 3-4. I love how people are leaving that fact out to make us look worse and throwing SA in to that discussion basically because they beat us, on 5 days rest no less

we  have lost 3 of those games to teams we knocked out in the playoffs, thats bound to happen, there isnt a team that wants to beat you more than the guys you knocked out the previous year...

Anyone on here worried about Orlando?! They are easily the worst of the elite in the east, and I don't put them any better than an "also ran" they don't have enough talent yet. They are one player away from being elite just like Cleveland was last year. The difference with Cleveland though was that they had Lebron who was almost as good as two stars. Orlando doesn't have that.

I was referring to the three powerhouses, Cleveland on our side and LA and San Antonio in the West who are by far the best 2 over there. 1-4 is not going to get it done. Do you think any of them are really afraid of playing us this year like they were last year?!

Am I scared of the spurs or even LA? the bottom line is you cant just take Orlando out of the elite conversation for the sake of your argument, they swept both the spurs and LA , 2 teams youre putting in that elite status and have a great record, better than the spurs

Sure I can! I just did!

Boston has the big three
San Antonio has Duncan, Ginobli, Parker and some very talented next tier players
Cleveland has Lebron, Mo Williams, amd an even better mix of tier two players
Lakers have Kobe, Gasol, and probably the best combo of next tier players (Odom,Fisher, Bynum, Ariza, etc)

Orlando has Howard, Hedo, Lewis, and a couple next tier. Howard is only consistent on defense and can't score when it counts. Hedo is a good scorer but can't defend a chair. Lewis can only shoot threes and also can't defend. They have so many flaws and until they get another player which I think they will next year or the following, they are at best an also ran. Sure they can get hot. They can't win a series though. Tell me you'd rather play any of the other three over Orlando... If you do you are once again just trying to argue.

Orlando is 5-0 against the Spurs, Lakers and Cavs
We're 1-4
They must be better than us, huh?

Hey! That is the first time I've ever seen you put an actual fact in one of your posts. I'm not going to argue with you now! I guess that must be accurate.

You didn't however answer the question. Are you saying that you think that you would rather face Orlando than the other three?! Didn't think so...

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 12:59:31 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I wasnt afraid to face atlanta, but we saw how that went, and Orlando is much better than them in every facet of the game...Now that they've lost jameer nelson you probably dont worry as much...Im not scared of any team in a 7 game series except maybe cleveland..but you cant leave orlanso out of the elite status, especially when they're 5-0 against your "powerhouses" and have a better record than the spurs
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:10:11 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 01:30:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
They also played their best ball against the best teams last year (6-2) and are 1-4 against them this year. We were also dominant in our own building. They didn't just magically "turn it on" last year in the playoffs. They had one little slump against some pretty good teams. Home court throughout was what got them that banner. Losing games to the elite isn't going to get you home court throughout this year. Especially when we aren't dominant at home anymore. There is reason to worry. Hiding our heads in the sand and PRETENDING we are as good as last year will just lead us to disappointment.

If Orlanda all of a sudden isnt an elite team, we're 1-4... they swept LA and have been an elite team this year. we're 3-4. I love how people are leaving that fact out to make us look worse and throwing SA in to that discussion basically because they beat us, on 5 days rest no less

we  have lost 3 of those games to teams we knocked out in the playoffs, thats bound to happen, there isnt a team that wants to beat you more than the guys you knocked out the previous year...

Anyone on here worried about Orlando?! They are easily the worst of the elite in the east, and I don't put them any better than an "also ran" they don't have enough talent yet. They are one player away from being elite just like Cleveland was last year. The difference with Cleveland though was that they had Lebron who was almost as good as two stars. Orlando doesn't have that.

I was referring to the three powerhouses, Cleveland on our side and LA and San Antonio in the West who are by far the best 2 over there. 1-4 is not going to get it done. Do you think any of them are really afraid of playing us this year like they were last year?!

Thats not really the point, and no im not worried about orlando.

The fact remains the OP cherry picked the orlando games out to make the W-L numbers worse and his point appear more "shocking"

According to everyone in the world, orlando is a world beating team, some power polls have them above both the celtics AND clevland. thus, no matter what you and I may think of orlando, no, it is not in fact valid to dismiss them and add SA to the numbers to shock jock people with a 1-4 number that is really 3-3, since SA is considered a "non-Elite" team by most at the moment.

All the above aside, and its mostly just my inhernt BS radar going off on teh OP's numbers, We are clearly not playing well since the second LA loss, which is the only troubling thing to me. Are we going to take 4-5 games to recover come playoff time from tough losses too?

Here's hoping not, but right now, losses to certain teams (read: Cavs and lakers) clearly hurt our focus for the next few upcoming games. This si twice now that LA has beat us and we've gone on prolonged "not playing our A game" streaks.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 01:41:07 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

The fact remains the OP cherry picked the orlando games out to make the W-L numbers worse and his point appear more "shocking"

According to everyone in the world, orlando is a world beating team, some power polls have them above both the celtics AND clevland. thus, no matter what you and I may think of orlando, no, it is not in fact valid to dismiss them and add SA to the numbers to shock jock people with a 1-4 number that is really 3-3, since SA is considered a "non-Elite" team by most at the moment.

All the above aside, and its mostly just my inhernt BS radar going off on teh OP's numbers, We are clearly not playing well since the second LA loss, which is the only troubling thing to me. Are we going to take 4-5 games to recover come playoff time from tough losses too?

Here's hoping not, but right now, losses to certain teams (read: Cavs and lakers) clearly hurt our focus for the next few upcoming games. This si twice now that LA has beat us and we've gone on prolonged "not playing our A game" streaks.

I wasn't "cherry picking" them out just to make it more shocking. I was taking the 4 best teams in the NBA IMO. Two from the west, and two from the east. I don't put Orlando ahead of us or the CAVS in the east, and record aside, no one on here would rather play any of the other three in a series over the Magic. Orlando has one way to beat a team and one way only. That is to get hot from the outside. The Spurs, Lakers, and Cavs are all very good defensive teams that ALSO can score the basketball. The reason we pulled games out against the Magic was because in crunch time we could score at will against them. We can't against the other three and in a playoff atmosphere that's what matters. Think what you want about my intent, but those three teams are the elite of the NBA with us and Orlando is definitely not.

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I wasn't "cherry picking" them out just to make it more shocking. I was taking the 4 best teams in the NBA IMO. Two from the west, and two from the east. I don't put Orlando ahead of us or the CAVS in the east, and record aside, no one on here would rather play any of the other three in a series over the Magic. Orlando has one way to beat a team and one way only. That is to get hot from the outside. The Spurs, Lakers, and Cavs are all very good defensive teams that ALSO can score the basketball. The reason we pulled games out against the Magic was because in crunch time we could score at will against them. We can't against the other three and in a playoff atmosphere that's what matters. Think what you want about my intent, but those three teams are the elite of the NBA with us and Orlando is definitely not.

EJ, your not the OP, which was who i was talking about with regards to fixing the numbers. Thats why i put OP in there.

And i agree with you about orlando, but the national media and fans outside boston don't, so it is in fact, still cherry picking by the OP to pull the numbers vs them out, and add in SA numbers who the natinal media doesn't see as a legit "elite" team in the west right now.

as to the rest of my thoughs/worries, its in the second half of my last post.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Am I scared of the spurs or even LA? the bottom line is you cant just take Orlando out of the elite conversation for the sake of your argument, they swept both the spurs and LA , 2 teams youre putting in that elite status and have a great record, better than the spurs

Sure I can! I just did!

Boston has the big three
San Antonio has Duncan, Ginobli, Parker and some very talented next tier players
Cleveland has Lebron, Mo Williams, amd an even better mix of tier two players
Lakers have Kobe, Gasol, and probably the best combo of next tier players (Odom,Fisher, Bynum, Ariza, etc)

Orlando has Howard, Hedo, Lewis, and a couple next tier. Howard is only consistent on defense and can't score when it counts. Hedo is a good scorer but can't defend a chair. Lewis can only shoot threes and also can't defend. They have so many flaws and until they get another player which I think they will next year or the following, they are at best an also ran. Sure they can get hot. They can't win a series though. Tell me you'd rather play any of the other three over Orlando... If you do you are once again just trying to argue.

Orlando is 5-0 against the Spurs, Lakers and Cavs
We're 1-4
They must be better than us, huh?

Exactly, and last year the ****' Wizards had our number for crying out loud.  Home court is all we are shooting for with the regular season IMO.  If we don't get home court, our chances go down a notch, but I still wouldn't count the C's out with the vets we have.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

EJ, your not the OP, which was who i was talking about with regards to fixing the numbers. Thats why i put OP in there.

And i agree with you about orlando, but the national media and fans outside boston don't, so it is in fact, still cherry picking by the OP to pull the numbers vs them out, and add in SA numbers who the natinal media doesn't see as a legit "elite" team in the west right now.

as to the rest of my thoughs/worries, its in the second half of my last post.

My bad. Everything you were responding to seemed to be my discussing the 4 teams I thought were elite and Orlando not being one of them. I guarantee you that San Antonio is the only team in the West that the Lakers are worried about. The media is usually full of it as we all know! TP to you for the misunderstanding!

I do agree with the issue of us seeming to "mope" after a tough loss. I think that is mainly due to us being old... KG and PP seem much more tired this year...

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I honestly think all three of them are afraid, because we have now proven that we can beat these teams in the playoffs, which we had not done at this point last year. Are we afraid of any of them, by the looks of our team's body language, no, not at all, not enough to take these regular season games like playoff games the way the other teams do, Should we be afraid? Well, we will find out in a couple of months.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I'm sick of everything I hear about them nowadays. Championship teams lose big regular season games, it's a grind, get over it, world. They played their best ball in the playoffs last year, that's all that matters.

don't quite agree with that assessment. the Lakers are winning the type of tough, important games that the Celtics were winning last year during the regular season.

i thought the Celts played some of their best games in the regular season last year ......... and then rose back to that level again during the Piston & Lakers series.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 12:26:30 AM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'd be lying if I said the losses to Cle, LAL, and SA didn't bother me or cause concern...the difference is that concern doesn't extend out to " we can't beat them in the playoffs" level concern.

Yes, we pulvaraized the competition last year - and the competition got better - whether we are worse or not is a different argument, but our starting 5 became the BEST in the league from last year to this year, so I tend to look at that as more important come playoff time.

As much as it sucks to make "excuses" as well - the Celtics have had circumstances surrounding their losses which do factor in to some degree. The first Laker loss and the 2nd Cavs game this team was finishing a gamut run that was the toughest in the league - for an old team, not practicing and being fatigued certainly played a role.

The recent go around, Boston had a less-than 100 percent KG, Pierce, and maybe more importantly - Kendrick Perkins. Additionally, Brian Scalabrine's absence effects this teams rotation composition.

When playoff time comes all teams would have played a full 82 game schedule - health and injuries at that time are what they are, so you hope your 100 percent - but that certainly wasn't the case during both poor playing streaks, (if you call this a streak.)

LA and Cle are certainly more of a threat this year, but the nature of playoff basketball is different than regular season play when each team has a seperate seasonal storyline going. Come playoff time, the footing becomes a lot more equal and the game comes down to personnel implementation and strategic adjustments.

I KNOW Boston can beat any team in any arena, even if it won't be as easy as it was last year at the very end. I'm good with that, I expect the team to improve over the last 30 games of the regular season, and I think Championship basketball is still within these players and will come out more consistently when series play forces you to look in the mirror and get back to work against the same opponent night after night.

Its one thing to remember a loss and then rely on what's currently working against other teams when formulating a battle plan for the rematch. Its another thing to feel the sting of a close loss one night and then spend the next 48 hours preparing to face that exact same thing again.

Regular season play gives teams weeks and sometimes months to develop rhythm, implement new strategy, and build up the production of various players - when you face an opponent every night, the variation in play is much more subtle and the adjustments that much more effective - the game "lives" in a way it doesn't in the regular season..

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
The season isn't over yet but the real shame to me will if Ainge not fortifying the bench with some good Vets, a center and a true back up point, means we lost homecourt advantage throughout the season and it costs us banner 18.

Because I beleive this team, had we added even just a decent back up at small forward and some Vet back up center, our record would be more like 46-7 or 47-6 right now. We'd have a very comfortable lead going down the stretch here.

And we'd have homecourt which I beleive is critical for any team going after a ring...as EJ and some others have said.