Author Topic: Too bad we don't have a 7 footer on the bench to cover Gasol..!  (Read 13867 times)

Re: Too bad we don't have a 7 footer on the bench to cover Gasol..!
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2009, 01:11:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Literally, POB would foul out in three minutes against Gasol.  POB is one of the physically weakest centers in the NBA, and Gasol is skilled in the post.  He'd simply back down POB repeatedly.

I'd rather ask Rondo to guard Gasol if my only other alternative was POB.

How did you determine that, literally, Professor Hobbs?

By watching how easy it is for scrubs to back down POB.  If the garbage men of the NBA out-muscle POB, then I'm pretty sure one of the best post players in the NBA wouldn't have much trouble.

POB commits about 1.2 fouls every 5 minutes, mostly in garbage time. So you have literally calculated that he will foul at a rate 5 times as frequently by guarding Pau Gasol.  Hmm.  Guess your opinion of Gasol is higher, and of POB is lower, than mine.

I am puzzled by the extent to which posters (including Mr. Hobbs, whom I honestly hold in the highest esteem) work so hard to make a case for not playing a guy just to see how it works. I see so many arguments as to why it would be a mistake.  Does anyone honestly feel that O'Bryant has been given a legit shot?  What is the harm in trying it out??

Dikembe is no longer an option.  And continuing to rely on the Baby Powe tandem is not going to get us to the finals, never mind win the championship.

Do something, besides saying "it won't work." Or "relax, we are going to be fine as is."

do you honestly think 1.5 fouls per 5 minutes against third stringers in garbage time is a good ratio to use to defend him?

i would say you could reasonably put that up to 2 per 5 minutes against non-scrubs (like gasol, who i hate but is a stud) rather easily, so 4-5 fouls per ten minutes on the floor is not unreasoanble, and thats awful for an NBA player.

how many times do we have to hear the same things about POB, from two cities and his college coach, before start to say "hey, ya know what, mabey he's just not that driven and not that compatent on defense"

The POb support arguments remind me ALOT of the GG arguments "super potential, he's going to get it now that we've cut him loose and someone gives him a chance!!"

how's that working out for minnsota, houston, and now dallas?

My quote was in response to Roy who said that POB would foul out (i.e., commit 6 fouls) "literally" in 5 minutes against quality players like Gasol.  Based on your new math, he would last 15 minutes, which is about how long Perk lasted his first few years in the league. Even Al Jeff.  I agree with you that alot of the POB love is comparable to GG love when he was first here.  Yes, there has to be serious concern that he can't do the job, otherwise why wouldn't Doc play him? But you have to concede that it sometimes appears that Doc (as opposed to, say Phil Jackson or Papovich) is too slow to experiment, try new things, with his rotation. He usually only does it following an injury.