Author Topic: Too bad we don't have a 7 footer on the bench to cover Gasol..!  (Read 13812 times)

Re: Too bad we don't have a 7 footer on the bench to cover Gasol..!
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Well, I'm one of the guys who defiantely likes the analysis of Perk used to be the same way, foul out all the time. It's a good analysis because...playing and getting smacked around is one very good way to gorw and learn.

Also, I don't think the guys saying give POB a shot becasue he is a true seven footer with length( something we desperately lack after Perk and KG ) and becasue he actually played quite well in his last stint, are saying he should start and play Gasol man-up for 48+ minutes.

I think we are simply saying, why not give the guy "5" minutes, see how he does. Until we sign another big who is obviously "more ready", just try it for 5 miuntes.

Last time I checked I couldn't find any evidence anywhere that playing a guy for 5 minutes to "see what he can do" lost anyone a game, a season or precipitated the destruction of a franchise for ****.

And no Atzar, POB does not have the natural physical bulk/build or Perkins nor does he have Perkins easily visible aggressive/tough nature. But he is starting to use what he does have a little bettter and better.

Perkins was a disaster his first 2-3 years. I look at this as POB's first real year in the NBA. Give him another 1-2 years with Cliff & the trainers, you might see a differnt guy. Just like with Perk.

In the meantime I don't think he will ruin the franchise in 5 minutes a night.  

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Lenghth is a problem for us on matchups with Cleveland and LA. I am a Patty O' fan but he isnt ready for Gasol or Big Z.

Is it me or has Perk not quite been the same since his injury?

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 08:33:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Last time I checked I couldn't find any evidence anywhere that playing a guy for 5 minutes to "see what he can do" lost anyone a game, a season or precipitated the destruction of a franchise...

A player can do a lot of damage in five minutes.  Whether it's through giving up easy baskets, committing lazy fouls, or turning the ball over, poor play over even a five minute stretch can absolutely impact whether a team wins or loses a game.  I mean, look at last night:  one possession either way, and that game doesn't even go into overtime. 

Even if we lose only one game due to experimenting with untested players, that one game could be the difference between playing at home or on the road in the ECF or NBA Finals.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 08:53:22 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I am very surprised at how much many of you underrate Pau Gasol. Sure, his facial hair and slovenly appearance takes away a lot of respect, but his post game is money. A few years ago, when the "rumors" on this site centered on getting Gasol, I was ecstatic. The guy has some of the best post moves in the game today. I don't understand why people equate finesse with "soft". POB would literally do nothing. He's laterally slow, has no bulk or muscle and can't rotate properly. The only defensive ability I've seen from him is the ability to block shots from the weak side.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Good God...

We are not over-rating POB. We are not saying he should start and play Gasol as the focal match up of the night. Also Hobbs, I obviously, without having to say it, am not saying POB should be given his five minutes during the last five of a playoff intensity game or play the entire five minutes of that playoff intensity overtime period.

I am saying 5 minutes early in the game, give KG or Perkins ( who's probably playing though hurt...) a few extra minutes since Ainge signed no legit back up this summer coming off a championship run when peop ewould be looking to take our heads off every night. ( On a side note this season is starting to remind of the 80's. Great starting five with a management that gave them insufficent back ups, hope we do something in the next 21 days ).

I very, very, very highly doubt that POB playing 5 minutes ( if he is doing ok and I've already said you yank him asap if he's not and give him another shot ) early in a game will not result in thr ruination of the Celtics empire, or for that matter, result in the loss of "said game".

He might just give us a couple extra minutes rest for the starters. Perhps if they ever so slightly more rested down the stretch it might help us win a game or two more during this pennant race?       

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2009, 12:09:53 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Last time I checked I couldn't find any evidence anywhere that playing a guy for 5 minutes to "see what he can do" lost anyone a game, a season or precipitated the destruction of a franchise...

A player can do a lot of damage in five minutes. 

Upon reading your first line, Roy, the first two words that popped into my head were "Tony" and "Allen."

I know, this is like dumping an industrial-sized canister of kerosene onto a moderate fire.  But I couldn't resist.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 12:26:38 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
POB has the potential to be a MUCH better player than Perk. He's got the hands, the offensive moves, the court vision, the passing, the high flying alley oop, the ability to block shots! the only thing he doesn't have is the strength to not get backed down, i honestly think that Paul Pierce could post up and back down POB. Kids just gotta step up the intensity and hit the weight room. HE HAS THE POTENTIAL (deadly word in celtics history) TO BE OUR STARTING CENTER.

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2009, 01:12:53 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Take away Kobe and the Foul calls and you get a whiny womanly walking Spaniard who is 7ft tall.

Sure, that and a guy who averaged 18.8 points and 8.6 boards per game during his Memphis career, made an All-Star team, scored 20-plus points per game in each of his last two full seasons in town and was the best player on each of the three playoff teams in franchise history, which won 50, 45 and 49 games.

-sw

Come on give me a break steve!  :P. Every team has a player that scores 15+ points or it would be disastrous, but thats not the point, the point is that he's irrelevant to the C's if Kobe is not with him. Memphis, when they had Gasol, still never hit me as a great team more like just another west team, at their best I would hold them to a Denver nuggets level.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 08:26:17 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Lenghth is a problem for us on matchups with Cleveland and LA. I am a Patty O' fan but he isnt ready for Gasol or Big Z.

Is it me or has Perk not quite been the same since his injury?

It's not you. He hasn't been the same since the injury on Xmas day.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Did anyone see the SI poll?  NBA players were asked to choose the player who thinks he's better than he really is to the highest degree.  Perk was tied for #1 with 8% of the vote.

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 09:01:28 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Too bad we don't have a first string on our second string,  ;D  If Pau Gasol is in, we probably have Perk or KG on him...or maybe Scal for limited minutes.  Why would we put a bench player on Gasol for many minutes (unless you are planning on one of our starters being out injured)?  Think positive.  The bench is for limited minutes!  The fate of this team doesn't rest on the shoulders of any one man, especially a phantom bench player.  A good one can help, but probably won't affect the outcome of a seven game series.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »

Offline thedawg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Spot on!!  I think many coaches in the NBA should be made aware of the bench they have, Doc especially!  POB should definitely feel abandoned with the idiotic coaching by Doc.  IMO Doc Rivers is like Rafa Benitez at Liverpool.....lost the plot!  
In Danny Ainge I Trust!

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 09:11:37 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I am saying 5 minutes early in the game, give KG or Perkins ( who's probably playing though hurt...) a few extra minutes since Ainge signed no legit back up this summer coming off a championship run when peop ewould be looking to take our heads off every night. ( On a side note this season is starting to remind of the 80's. Great starting five with a management that gave them insufficent back ups, hope we do something in the next 21 days ).

I very, very, very highly doubt that POB playing 5 minutes ( if he is doing ok and I've already said you yank him asap if he's not and give him another shot ) early in a game will not result in thr ruination of the Celtics empire, or for that matter, result in the loss of "said game".

We've lost games to the Warriors, Knicks, and Bobcats this year.  All of those seemed like safe games.  In another game, we beat Charlotte by 5.  Could POB playing 5 minutes of that game been the difference between a victory and loss?  Absolutely.  Same thing with our overtime win over Milwaukee.  Five poor minutes from POB, and we lose that game in regulation.  Generally speaking, getting outscored at the beginning of the game is the same as getting outscored during the last five minutes of a game (which is why you hear the baseball adage, "A loss in April is the same as a loss in September".

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 09:12:37 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Upon reading your first line, Roy, the first two words that popped into my head were "Tony" and "Allen."

I know, this is like dumping an industrial-sized canister of kerosene onto a moderate fire.  But I couldn't resist.

-sw

So true, Steve.  "Bad Tony" can turn the tide completely against the Celts in spurts of five minutes or less.

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

-sw

So true, Steve.  "Bad Tony" can turn the tide completely against the Celts in spurts of five minutes or less.

Seriously I'm always jittery when he's playing well because I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:40:43 AM by twinbree »
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.