Author Topic: Would it make sense for Golden State to sell high on Steph Curry?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I know what you're thinking. Why in the world would GS trade Curry after what he just did in the playoffs? and it's a fair point.

With Curry's ridiculous shooting display in the playoffs, his value has skyrocketed and is at an all-time high.

What people seem to forget is the fact that Steph has yet to play a complete season due to chronic ankles that make GS fans cringe every time you bring them up.

The ankles have proven to be a legit injury concern that Curry will likely have to deal with for the rest of his career.

Coming off his best season statistically, and perhaps his healthiest season in which he only missed 3 games, would GS be wise to scan the market and see what they can get for Curry?

With the roster set up the way it is, would GS be better served with an all-star PG who can set the table for Thompson and Barnes?

Just for fun, I wouldn't be a true CB poster if I didn't consider the idea of Curry in green. After making a few proposals on a Warriors forum I actually got some Warrior fans very interested in revisiting a Rondo/Curry swap that was discussed almost exactly a year ago..

In December, the Celtics had discussions with Golden State about a Stephen Curry-for-Rondo deal, and one source says it was Golden State that decided against pulling the trigger. But Curry's recent ankle injuries, which have caused him several problems in his short career, have given the Celtics pause. The potential trade is still being discussed by Boston's braintrust, but they aren't sure they want to go forward with it. It also isn't clear whether the Warriors would be willing to do it. Other players would have to be thrown in to make it work financially.

The proposed deal would look something like this..

Rondo/Garnett/Pierce

for

Curry/Lee/Biedrins

Rondo/Jack
Thompson
Barnes
Garnett/Landry
Bogut/Ezeli

Curry
Bradley
Green
Sullinger
Lee (would look to flip Lee for other assets)

Sorry for the long post guys, but its a very rainy day off from work and I got nothing but time!
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Would it make sense for Golden State to sell high on Steph Curry?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:07:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't think that particular trade makes sense, and I don't know who they could trade for Curry. But I could see them selling high on him for the right offer

You're talking like Lillard/Aldridge for Curry.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I don't think that particular trade makes sense, and I don't know who they could trade for Curry. But I could see them selling high on him for the right offer

Don't think it makes sense for either side?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Yeah I think you sell high if you can get a straight up player who is better and youngish.

I think other teams would still give pause to the injury.

Plus Curry is on a great contract right?

I think selling high would mean getting Lebron, Howard, Durant, maybe George or something like that. I just don't see many scenarios that make sense to sell high unless you are getting a stud

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
at the time of that discussed trade, (December 2011) ... Steph Curry was dealing with chronic ankle issues and sharing the ball with ball-hog Monta Ellis.  Rondo was fully healthy and the starting point guard on a contender.  Even then, I was largely in support of it, because I felt Curry was being held back and his ankle issues reminded me of Ray Ray before he came to Seattle.  Also, at the time, it would have freed up a bunch of additional cap space for us since Curry was on his rookie deal... and the idea of Curry sharing a back court with Ray Allen sounded epic to me. 

Still... Golden State turned us down.  They preferred hanging onto their gimpy underachieving shooter than trade him for an all-star bricklayer like ROndo.

At this point, Rondo, who lead his team to a sub .500 record before getting injured, is coming off major ACL surgery (which ROse still hasn't returned from over a year later)... Curry has finally reached his potential and lead a team a couple rounds into the playoffs.  Curry has proven to be one of the best shooters in the league.

Zero chance Golden State does it. 

TL;DR:  Golden State turned down the opportunity to sell low on Steph Curry for Rondo when his stock was high.  No chance they'd sell high on Curry while Rondo's stock is at an all-time low

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:14:26 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
at the time of that discussed trade, (December 2011) ... Steph Curry was dealing with chronic ankle issues and sharing the ball with ball-hog Monta Ellis.  Rondo was fully healthy and the starting point guard on a contender.  Even then, I was largely in support of it, because I felt Curry was being held back and his ankle issues reminded me of Ray Ray before he came to Seattle.  Also, at the time, it would have freed up a bunch of additional cap space for us since Curry was on his rookie deal... and the idea of Curry sharing a back court with Ray Allen sounded epic to me. 

Still... Golden State turned us down.  They preferred hanging onto their gimpy underachieving shooter than trade him for an all-star bricklayer like ROndo.

At this point, Rondo, who lead his team to a sub .500 record before getting injured, is coming off major ACL surgery (which ROse still hasn't returned from over a year later)... Curry has finally reached his potential and lead a team a couple rounds into the playoffs.  Curry has proven to be one of the best shooters in the league.

Yeah I understand and trades this large rarely ever happen in the NBA, if never.

Taking Boston out, I wonder what exactly Curry could land?
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Too much.

It's a tough spot for Golden State, though.  Curry has so much talent that you basically have to keep him around.  At the same time, his ankles are made of glass, and could end up being a chronic issue.  You'd hate to commit max dollars to that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's an interesting thought. Personally, I don't think GS budges on that offer of Rondo/KG/Pierce.

I just think in Golden State's eyes, the ceiling of Curry is a lot higher than one year of Pierce/KG and the return of Rondo from ACL surgery. Not to mention including David Lee, who is an offensive machine.

Two other fans in this thread also made a good point.

1.) The Celts discussed this in the past with GS, and they weren't willing to do it then when Rondo was 100% healthy.

2.)If GS were willing to entertain offers, they'd probably get better offers from other teams.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

TL;DR:  Golden State turned down the opportunity to sell low on Steph Curry for Rondo when his stock was high.  No chance they'd sell high on Curry while Rondo's stock is at an all-time low

http://www.celticstown.com/2012/02/29/rajon-rondo-trade-rumors-rondo-being-aggressively-shopped-stephen-curry-could-be-targetaccording-to-espn/

Is that the rumor that leads you to believe that Golden State turned Boston down in a proposed Rondo for Curry swap?

It sounds more like Chris Broussard can't decide--or more likely, has no clue--who turned who down.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's funny... When the sonics traded aging Payton for Ray Allen, Seattle fans flipped out on account of ray coming off ankle surgery and supposedly having his ankles held together by pins. 

Curry actually hasn't missed a ton of time.  At this point he's probably the best shooter in the league not named durant.  He's a top 5-6 PG with cp3, rose, Westbrook, Parker ... and probably kyrie Irving.  I don't think they will trade him... He's beloved and too fun to watch.  And if he played with an elite big or two, his team could contend
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:42:13 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Too much.

It's a tough spot for Golden State, though.  Curry has so much talent that you basically have to keep him around.  At the same time, his ankles are made of glass, and could end up being a chronic issue.  You'd hate to commit max dollars to that.
Well they've got 3 more years before that happens right?

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
If I was GS GM, I would take my chances with Curry
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Golden State have a nucleus there that can compete for an NBA Title for the next 5+ years.

No point in breaking that up in order to get a pair of old men in Pierce and Garnett.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He's worth too much right now. If they tried to cash in, they wouldn't get enough because any move for Curry would mean breaking up the rest of the team (LMA/Lillard for example). No team will put all their assets in on a potential HOFer with bad ankles, since if anything goes wrong.... (ckkckckxkxkxc)

:-X :P
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:10:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If I were them I'd be thinking the exact opposite: you have a #1 or #1a guy, now find him a #1b.

The Warriors have assets. Could they package some of them for Dwight? Or Danny Granger? Or Al Jefferson? Or Cousins? Horford? Josh Smith? Just throwing names out there, I haven't thought about any of the details.

Not all of those guys listed above are equal of course. But if they get one other guy who is (or could be) a perennial All-Star and a good fit with Curry, they can fill in the rest later. People will want to play there.