Author Topic: Nets (1-0) at Celtics (1-0) Game #2 12/25/20  (Read 37213 times)

Re: Nets (1-0) at Celtics (1-0) Game #2 12/25/20
« Reply #480 on: December 25, 2020, 09:02:52 PM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
We are missing Kemba walker. Last year we had 3 guys averaging 20 and one guy at 17.5

We can't expect Teague to give us 20 every night. Without Kemba we are going to struggle nights when tatum and brown and one of the bench guys aren't on

I fear that if Kemba's knees are shot to pieces then he will not return to be the explosive scorer we need him to be !

« Reply #481 on: December 25, 2020, 09:08:54 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
We are missing Kemba walker. Last year we had 3 guys averaging 20 and one guy at 17.5

We can't expect Teague to give us 20 every night. Without Kemba we are going to struggle nights when tatum and brown and one of the bench guys aren't on

I fear that if Kemba's knees are shot to pieces then he will not return to be the explosive scorer we need him to be !

Gotta run better quality offense - player movement, ball movement.
Celts drafted and acquired a little talent and Stevens' forgot the team offense we ran in his first few years.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #482 on: December 25, 2020, 09:10:34 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Lack of Length....Thanks Danny.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #483 on: December 25, 2020, 09:22:24 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
the announcers are garbage....

Why do the Celtics always seem to draw Doris Burke for their games - the absolute worst tv play-by-play or commentator in the history of sports.
Her awful yelling into the mic is so forced and obnoxious as if she is trying to prove she belongs in the world of the NBA - which she does not.

« Reply #484 on: December 25, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Best thing I can say about this one was Jaylen was very good once again and Semi has played well twice in a row.

Things fell apart in the 3rd - anyone notice the two missed layups by Green at times when the Celtics really needed to stop the bleeding?  He played to his talent level.

But the Nets have 2 stars, LaVert, who's very good, and a deep veteran bench.  Danny please take note.

You think Ainge isn't aware of that formula?  We had that.  We had Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford, with Rozier, Smart, Morris, and Baynes on the bench.  That team had enough talent to compete for a championship, even against the Warriors in their prime. 

Instead, it blew up in our faces for various reasons.  I think people undersell the negative impact that implosion had on our current roster.  We aren't trotting out a bench of average projects by choice.  We're doing it because this is what is left in the wake of that collapse, and we don't have a lot of realistic ways to improve our roster right now.  The TPE is pretty much it, and the actual value of that thing is pretty hard to pin down.
I don't agree. He's had a ton of draft picks since putting that team together yet was unable to move any for even one decent rotation player while at the same time pretty much striking out - to date anyway - with any of these guys becoming impact players.

At the same time, last year he had a team capable of making a run, yet he couldn't improve their obvious weakness - the lack of a consistent bench scorer.  He could have brought in someone for the vet minimum who could make shots.   Instead, he elected to hold onto the guys he drafted - maybe because he didn't want to admit he messed up?

Problem is none of them are consistent and none of them are good enough offensively to at least make the opponents respect them.  Last year's team could have and probably should have won the East, but Ainge's inability to improve the roster showed up vs Miami.

And when you look at this year's roster, they're short a wing and forced to play a rookie guard who, while he looks like he's got some talent, is making rookie errors that cost you in close games.  He's playing because there are no other good options.

The team has a talent/depth problem so I'm blaming the guy in charge of assembling the talent.

« Reply #485 on: December 25, 2020, 09:44:36 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
No we don’t need harden hahahahahaha

I'm baffled by this argument by Celtics fans. I love Jaylen and Jayson as much as the next guy, but Harden is an all-time great scorer. I highly doubt anyone on this roster will come close to that.

Harden = Kyrie + Wicks + Rowe.  No Thank You.

Have you not been reading the articles describing the nightmare team atmosphere he has created in Houston ?
What - you think our milquetoast coach and general manager pair are going to keep Harden in line ?

« Reply #486 on: December 25, 2020, 09:58:25 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
Imagine the Celtics' talent with a coach who demanded disciplined play and who was not afraid of his players.

Lol where's your source he's scared of his players?
Thin air lol?

My source is that Stevens' players - every season - take bad shots, do not run a disciplined offense and jack 3's with impunity.

What games are you watching or do you have a basic lack of basketball knowledge ?

« Reply #487 on: December 25, 2020, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Imagine the Celtics' talent with a coach who demanded disciplined play and who was not afraid of his players.

Thin air lol?

My source is that Stevens' players - every season - take bad shots, do not run a disciplined offense and jack 3's with impunity.

What games are you watching or do you have a basic lack of basketball knowledge ?

Youre just mad that you lost to your most hated player on the earth

« Reply #488 on: December 25, 2020, 10:19:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I must admit I did not know much of Thomspon's game other than he grabbed a lot of ORs against the Cs. Now that I watch him play for the CS it looks like he is more active than I thuoght. That is a good thing.

« Reply #489 on: December 25, 2020, 10:46:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
it must be amazing to have dannys job security.

the most funny part is when brooklyn wins a title before  us.

Lol - they signed KD and Kyrie in the same offseason. The regret about the picks that landed Tatum and Brown is long gone. Unfortunately - due to injuries - Danny's plan A with max FAs and a stellar young core, failed. Luckily we still have that stellar young core to build on. Any other franchise would be back in the basement after what we went through with Hayward and Kyrie.

« Reply #490 on: December 25, 2020, 10:56:25 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Thin air lol?

I thought the Celtics took many more good (open) shots than Brooklyn did. Some of KD/Kyrie's 3s today were ridiculous, as were a lot of Levert's points. Kyrie actually had his career high for made 3's today. On the other hand, the Celtics missed a ton of short floaters/layups and a few open threes. We also had 9 wide-open points (two Tatum layups, a Pritchard 3 and a Pritchard 2) directly taken away by either borderline "illegal screen" calls or Pritchard stepping half an inch out of bounds.

I think the Nets are the more talented team, but imo the margin of victory today was due to more bad luck than awful play. Brooklyn won't shoot above 50% from 3 every game, and the Celtics won'd shoot 38.8% from the field (40.8% from 2) most nights, either.

For what it's worth, I actually thought Brad's game plan today was really solid. On offense, we consistently got Tatum and Brown the ball with mismatches in favorable spots (near the nail or with a half-step at the arc). Brown did a better job than Tatum of taking advantage, but neither was excellent (Brown missed a lot of bunnies, and Tatum seemed to dribble into help rather than away from it at points). They also had Brooklyn scrambling around and often out of position, as evidenced by the C's 20 offensive rebounds. (The Celtics outrebounded Brooklyn by 9 on a night where they shot over 12% worse from the field.) On defense, the team struggled with Jordan's vertical spacing, but a lot of the Nets' scores came later in the shot clock with favorable defensive matchups (ie Durant attacking Tatum,  Kyrie scoring over Smart or Brown, Levert shooting over Brown). Rarely tonight did I see Durant take advantage of a poor/short defender or Kyrie isolate and expose a big.

The straightaway pull-up 3's in a defender's eye by KD and Kyrie (and the mid-rangers by Dinwiddie and Levert) are what make the Nets so difficult to guard, but you can't really control whether those go in or not. What you can do is force teams to make those shots again and again on appropriate length and quickness over the course of a 48-minute game. Unfortunately for the Celtics, the Nets did that pretty consistently tonight.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 11:06:30 PM by GetLucky »

« Reply #491 on: December 25, 2020, 11:10:08 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
That was murder.

And what’s scary is that it didn’t seem like an anomaly to me. Maybe the margin could’ve been smaller but the Nets are ahead of us right now. And what the Nets showed was blending terrific role players (DeAndre, Allen, Harris) with underpaid fringe all stars (Dinwiddie, levert) and legit superstars (Kyrie and KD). Maybe it’ll blow up in their faces but right now, Nash has chemistry with his team.

My takeaway: we need Kemba to compete against a healthy Nets squad.

> Kyrie-KD = Kemba-Tatum
> Dinwiddie/Levert = Brown (could’ve been Hayward too, had he not taken money we couldn’t match)
> Deandre/Allen/Harris = Thompson/Theis/Smart

- LilRip

« Reply #492 on: December 25, 2020, 11:41:58 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
it must be amazing to have dannys job security.

the most funny part is when brooklyn wins a title before  us.

Lol - they signed KD and Kyrie in the same offseason. The regret about the picks that landed Tatum and Brown is long gone. Unfortunately - due to injuries - Danny's plan A with max FAs and a stellar young core, failed. Luckily we still have that stellar young core to build on. Any other franchise would be back in the basement after what we went through with Hayward and Kyrie.

I'm excited to see the danny 20 year back to a championship plan!

« Reply #493 on: December 25, 2020, 11:48:17 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
No we don’t need harden hahahahahaha

I'm baffled by this argument by Celtics fans. I love Jaylen and Jayson as much as the next guy, but Harden is an all-time great scorer. I highly doubt anyone on this roster will come close to that.

Harden = Kyrie + Wicks + Rowe.  No Thank You.

Have you not been reading the articles describing the nightmare team atmosphere he has created in Houston ?
What - you think our milquetoast coach and general manager pair are going to keep Harden in line ?

How far has atmosphere gotten this team

« Reply #494 on: December 25, 2020, 11:49:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Marcus Smart needs to watch video of Tony Allen defending Durant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um96aNyokXc