Author Topic: Cavaliers (10-18) at Celtics (12-17) Game #30 12/28  (Read 34744 times)

Re: Cavaliers (10-18) at Celtics (12-17) Game #30 12/28
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I thought Klynyk looked pretty good in his stint in the first half, not so much the second.  He'll be o.k.  He's only played twenty NBA games so far.
are you serious??

He probably is, I can't detect the sarcasm here.

And he's spot on, too. It will take some time to Kelly before he gets it in the NBA. But he'll be a nice player.

Meh, I doubt Oly will amount to much more than an end-of-bench player.

Then again, I felt this way about Giddens, Walker, Pruitt, Bradley, Johnson etc..  Only Bradley actually proved me wrong, and he was much younger as a rookie than Oly.

Also, that 'Klynyk' nickname is horrendous, sounds stupid.

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
C's have not been the same since KO return from ankle injury. No chemistry and he ....can't play.

Just like Bradley couldn't play.

Yup! Just like JJJ and JR Giddens and Billy Walker couldn't play...ohh wait those examples don't help the KO won't be a bust argument. Sorry

I believe the point is NOT that olly won't be a bust. But rather that it is way to soon to pass judgements such as he will be a bust. Yes, the point is nuanced, but worth understanding.

Exactly.

Remember, KO was looked at as a solid pick by other GMs and even other players from his draft class.

If he doesn't pan out, then he doesn't pan out.  But have some patience.

I think the sample size is sufficient, sorry. He'll be playing in Europe in two years.

30 games into a rookie season, 19 of which he's played in, is a sufficient sample size?  In the NBA?  Can't say I agree but to each their own.

After Fab's first 30 games I think we all realized he couldn't play. Same with JJJ. Yeah, 30 games is enough to form a reasoned opinion. KO has given us no reason for optimism.

Imagine if coaches and GMs used a rookie's first 20 games as an overall player evaluation. 

It takes years - and an opportunity, a chance to play - to learn the NBA game and develop as a player.

What league are you watching? Players drafted outside the lottery don't get years to develop in the NBA. Fab got one. JJJ got one year. JR Giddens got about one as well.

« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
While I miss Greg Dickerson like an old friend, A. Chen is growing on me. She's getting better.
i don't miss dickersons psycho stare into the camera. it kinda freaked me out
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Bass saved this team of being called chokers this time.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
While I miss Greg Dickerson like an old friend, A. Chen is growing on me. She's getting better.

I don't miss Gary Tangway.

« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
C's have not been the same since KO return from ankle injury. No chemistry and he ....can't play.

Yup! Just like JJJ and JR Giddens and Billy Walker couldn't play...ohh wait those examples don't help the KO won't be a bust argument. Sorry

I believe the point is NOT that olly won't be a bust. But rather that it is way to soon to pass judgements such as he will be a bust. Yes, the point is nuanced, but worth understanding.

Exactly.

Remember, KO was looked at as a solid pick by other GMs and even other players from his draft class.

I think the sample size is sufficient, sorry. He'll be playing in Europe in two years.

Well, I am not sure how many 22 yo rookies who play 20 mpg and produce about 7 and 5 are correctly projected after 20 games as NBA busts -- not just a bust relative to expectatons, but a total bust as you are projecting.   

His shooting % has been atrocious but that's something that should improve.  Confidence and comfort will help -- if these factors do not occur, he'll be in Turkey in two years, but if these do happen, he'll be an NBA player for a long time. 

« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2013, 03:47:15 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think he is getting playing time that he has not earned.

Exactly.

30 games into a rookie season, 19 of which he's played in, is a sufficient sample size?  In the NBA?  Can't say I agree but to each their own.

After Fab's first 30 games I think we all realized he couldn't play. Same with JJJ. Yeah, 30 games is enough to form a reasoned opinion. KO has given us no reason for optimism.

Imagine if coaches and GMs used a rookie's first 20 games as an overall player evaluation. 

It takes years - and an opportunity, a chance to play - to learn the NBA game and develop as a player.

What league are you watching? Players drafted outside the lottery don't get years to develop in the NBA. Fab got one. JJJ got one year. JR Giddens got about one as well.

Exactly.

« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997

Exactly.

You're kidding me right?   

Rondo?  Bradley?  Sully?  And that's just our team.

Even 2nd rounders get time to develop if they're worthwhile.  Go ask Mark Gasol and Manu Ginobili.

The list would be endless.

« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I don't miss Gary Tangway.

Abby is a much better friend to me than Dickerson ever was.  She's smart, charismatic, she's got good chemistry with Mike and Tommy, and I don't hate looking at her. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2013, 03:49:10 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
KO is getting playing time he has not earned.

« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum

Exactly.

You're kidding me right?   

Even 2nd rounders get time to develop if they're worthwhile.  Go ask Mark Gasol and Manu Ginobili.

It seems like you missed the point; I'll try again. Rondo and Sully showed promise in year one. It was clear they belonged in the NBA. JJJ, Fab and Giddens didn't. Rondo and Sully got more opportunities in year two. JJJ, Fab and Giddens didn't.

« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I thought Klynyk looked pretty good in his stint in the first half, not so much the second.  He'll be o.k.  He's only played twenty NBA games so far.
are you serious??

He probably is, I can't detect the sarcasm here.

And he's spot on, too. It will take some time to Kelly before he gets it in the NBA. But he'll be a nice player.

Meh, I doubt Oly will amount to much more than an end-of-bench player.

Then again, I felt this way about Giddens, Walker, Pruitt, Bradley, Johnson etc..  Only Bradley actually proved me wrong, and he was much younger as a rookie than Oly.

Also, that 'Klynyk' nickname is horrendous, sounds stupid.

I don't recall Giddens, Walker, Pruitt or JJJ averaging 7 and 5 in 20 MPG. Not great, but for a guy adjusting to the NBA, not terrible.  Did JJJ, Pruitt or JR ever look like they belonged?  I guess you could argue that KO hasn't looked like he belongs, but I wouldn't count the games post-injury too highly -- he's not 100% physically and whatever lack of confidence was influencing him before the injury is surely added to in the immediate injury aftermath.

« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997

Exactly.

You're kidding me right?   

It seems like you missed the point; I'll try again. Rondo and Sully showed promise in year one. It was clear they belonged in the NBA. JJJ, Fab and Giddens didn't. Rondo and Sully got more opportunities in year two. JJJ, Fab and Giddens didn't.

What was I supposed to infer from your statement: "Players drafted outside the lottery don't get years to develop in the NBA"?

But that's really besides the entire premise of the argument - that it takes time to develop as a player.  But I won't belabor it any further because it's obvious I can't convince you.

Stick to your 30 game evaluation criteria.

« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When youhave to take 7+ shots a game to score 6+ points a game, I don't care if you are averaging 6+ PPG, that's not a good thing. Its a very very bad thing.

One of the best things I saw in this thread was someone saying Olynyk is playing minutes he hasn't earned. Nothing could be more true. Faverani deserves minutes over Olynyk right now.

Oh, and BTW, there is zero guarantee Olynyk's shots start dropping. His FG% was good at Gonzaga because he played against inferior competition and was 7 feet tall but his three point shooting was never anything to write home about.

He's missing longer three in the NBA at an alarming rate and his inside moves that worked so well against mid major big men isn't working and probably never will work versus NBA big men.

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm seeing a rookie tentativeness from Klynyk right now that I think he can start to correct as he gets more confidence.  Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but when I watch him, he looks close to pulling it together. 

We'll see.  He's not athletic, but he does have very nifty moves for a seven footer.  The hope is getting dimmer and dimmer, but it's still not completely extinguished for me . . . not after the kid's only played in 20 NBA games. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson