Author Topic: Silver Talks 2020-21 Season  (Read 2189 times)

Silver Talks 2020-21 Season
« on: September 22, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Or should we say 2021 season?

Per Marc Stein.

Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine
·
1h
NBA commissioner Adam Silver tells Bob Costas on
@CNN
 that his “best guess” is that next season will begin in January at the earliest
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine
·
1h
The NBA’s goal for 2020-21, Silver said, remains playing a “standard season” ... meaning 82 games plus playoffs

Silver, though, acknowledged to Costas that it will most likely be a 2021 season with no games played in 2020 after completion of the NBA Bubble schedule in October

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Silver Talks 2020-21 Season
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
So I would guess we're looking at a roughly January-August/September schedule? Does this mean a December start for '21-'22? I recall hearing that Silver didn't want a permanent December-August schedule, so it will be interesting how they get away from it. Maybe just gradually over 2-3 years?

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Personally I've always felt that the best time for the NBA to restart would be around Thanksgiving week, OR Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. So theoretically a Christmas start would look great and then you have the first week of games through Christmas + New Years holidays.

I think having the playoffs run through July would be pretty good too. No disrespect to baseball but I like having multiple sports on at a time, but usually July and August is legit just baseball and can get a little boring (unless you count NFL preseason I guess).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Personally I've always felt that the best time for the NBA to restart would be around Thanksgiving week, OR Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. So theoretically a Christmas start would look great and then you have the first week of games through Christmas + New Years holidays.

I think having the playoffs run through July would be pretty good too. No disrespect to baseball but I like having multiple sports on at a time, but usually July and August is legit just baseball and can get a little boring (unless you count NFL preseason I guess).

Personally, I like the idea of a permanent December-August schedule. But I know the league doesn't necessarily.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So I would guess we're looking at a roughly January-August/September schedule? Does this mean a December start for '21-'22? I recall hearing that Silver didn't want a permanent December-August schedule, so it will be interesting how they get away from it. Maybe just gradually over 2-3 years?

It will be definitely be interesting to see how they get away from it, if that is their intention, and still maintain a full 82 game season.  Compromises are going to have to be made.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Wouldn't that affect the 2021 Tokyo Olympics? What will happen to Team USA Basketball?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Wouldn't that affect the 2021 Tokyo Olympics? What will happen to Team USA Basketball?

I think that's got to be a big reason why they would want to switch back to the classic schedule sooner rather than later. At some point they are going to have to ask the players to handle a quick turnaround with a shortened offseason, and I imagine, compensate them somehow for it.

Sticking with a summer schedule would have them go up against the Olympics and the World Cup too often.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237

Given the global situation regarding Covid-19 I honestly don't expect the 2021 Tokyo Olympics to take place

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
at what point do they decide if it's a season in the bubble.  My guess is going to have to be in the bubble...Maybe three bubble phases during the season so they can escape and not go crazy...

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
a couple of quick questions

With Covid 19 and unlikely fans back at stadiums

Are salaries guaranteed?  or will players make half or less?

I can see the NBA making some of the money back via online fans.  Charging more for NBA TV subscription (or less and obtaining more viewers).  Charging more for Ads

But still at the end of the day the NBA won't be at full profit making capabilities

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 02:03:30 PM »

Offline Greenality

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 46

Silver addressed this issue already)
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/09/22/nba-olympics-season-schedule/

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline Greenality

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 46
There were talks about late December (Christmas), but if the goal is to have fans in attendance at some point, then, with how careful NBA is about this whole coronavirus situation, it makes total sense to delay it a month or so.
Yeah, I agree with the assumption above, it will probably be a couple more years until the schedule returns to what we were accustomed to.