Author Topic: Did Brad almost blow this one -was Morris 3 point shot bad shot selection  (Read 3425 times)

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Thought his use of timeouts and sticking with a lineup that was ineffective was poor judgement.And  Mooks  three in transition early in the clock was a really poor decision.I was screaming .The Celtics got lucky the  with those blocks
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:19:27 PM by rollie mass »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Thought his use of timeouts and sticking with a lineup that was ineffective was poor judgement.And was Mooks  three in transition early in the clock a really poor decision.I was screaming .The Celtics got lucky the  with those blocks

I also was yelling during the Morris three.  Glad it happened in a regular season game.  I'd be surprised if Brad doesn't address it with the team.  Situation basketball is everything in the playoffs.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Stevens is terribly overrated. He shoulders the majority of the blame for this team’s inconsistent performance this year. It’s been an overall bad year for his coaching this team.

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Disagree...I think Brad is a very good coach.

MikeB

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Brad gets a lot of criticism in the game threads for his timeout management and his substitution patterns (including from me) but I think one of the things that Brad is trying to do is teach players how to be better as well, by forcing them to face adversity and learn to dig their way out of problems (especially if they are self created). It's a balance between trying to micromanage and win every game vs helping players grow and deal with issues themselves, rather than them just looking to the bench for help when the other team makes a run. Sometimes he errs on the since of too much player empowerment and the players dig too big a hole and can't get out of it but I honestly think he's willing to lose games during the regular season if it results in a teaching moment for the team. I think he's come to realize that this team needs more oversight because in the past couple of months he's definitely been quicker to call a timeout to stop a run.

Obviously the other thing is (and Scal and Tommy have mentioned this a few times) that there's only so many timeouts available...if you use them all up early then there might not be any left when you really need them.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
steven's encourages this team to have bad shot selection with his coaching philosophy.

our offensive droughts that we go through every game - EVERY GAME, happen because guys fall in love with the jump shot. because that's our default philosophy, because our offense is designed to get guys open jump shots. the whole thing sucks.

when we get eliminated this yr. watch we'll go on a stretch of jump shots that essentially gets us bounced... it's happened every yr. we made the playoffs.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The Celtics brain trust needs to understand that what is good shot selection for a team like Golden State Warriors, is poor shot selection for other teams without players named Curry, Durant, and Thompson.

There are different ways to skin a cat.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
playing like GSW keeps you fresh for the playoffs..

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The bigger problem all season has been lack of talent.

We came in with grand ideas of a multi-star team.

Kyrie = Our Steph
Hayward = Our Klay
Tatum = Our Durant
Horford = Our Draymond

Meanwhile, you had fans here creating threads about how we didn't need someone like Kawhi Leonard, because we already had Jaylen Brown.  Lots of fans expected him to be a star.

In reality it's more like...

Kyrie = Our Damian Lillard
Hayward = Our Marvin Williams
Tatum = Our Otto Porter Jr

Horford is still our Draymond, but some feel he's slipping. 

Brown... eh... probably making a similar impact as someone like Kent Bazemore.

It makes sense for a group like that to win around 50 games. 

People blame Brad, because they misunderstand what our team was last year.  Once Kyrie got hurt, the "next man up" philosophy took hold and these kids admirably played at a 48 win pace.  Very impressive.  Credit coaching there.  Brad is great at getting guys to overachieve.  That was probably more realistically a 35-43 win team with a different coach.  We saw Brad do a similar thing with a starting lineup of Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Brandon Bass and Tyler Zeller.   He's great at getting 35 win teams to make the playoffs.   

Much harder trying to get wins out of individuals who see themselves as stars when collectively they are pretty mediocre.  Lack of effort and execution becomes an issue.  We're seeing positive signs the last couple games where we are giving Kyrie 24+ shots per game... which makes sense given he's the only guy you can rely on.

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Some games Brad didn't almost blow. He blowed them for sure.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A wide open three is not bad shot selection. Especially not when you are around the 5th or 6th best three point shooting team in the league.

Celtics currently take the 6th most three pointers in the league while making them at the 6th best rate. Given those numbers, the Celtics take exactly the right amount of three pointers. If you are the 6th best three point shooting team in the league, you may as well take the 6 the most three point shots.

The Celtics are only 11th in the league at 2 point FG%. So it's not like if they move their offense away from three pointers to 2 point shots, they are moving their offense into an area that the team excels at. The Celtics aren't great at scoring from 2. They are just good at it.

If you are the sixth best 3 point shooting team you don't stop taking threes at the league's 6th best rate so you can take more twos at the league's 11th best rate, especially when your two point game yields on of the poorest amounts of FTs created in the league.

The Celtics offense is a top 8 offense in the league. It's a good offense. It's just not going to have the consistency of a Milwaukee or GSW because Milwaukee has a dominant 2 point shooting game(best in league) and GSW are the best passing and three point team in the league.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
A wide open three is not bad shot selection. Especially not when you are around the 5th or 6th best three point shooting team in the league.

Celtics currently take the 6th most three pointers in the league while making them at the 6th best rate. Given those numbers, the Celtics take exactly the right amount of three pointers. If you are the 6th best three point shooting team in the league, you may as well take the 6 the most three point shots.

The Celtics are only 11th in the league at 2 point FG%. So it's not like if they move their offense away from three pointers to 2 point shots, they are moving their offense into an area that the team excels at. The Celtics aren't great at scoring from 2. They are just good at it.

If you are the sixth best 3 point shooting team you don't stop taking threes at the league's 6th best rate so you can take more twos at the league's 11th best rate, especially when your two point game yields on of the poorest amounts of FTs created in the league.

The Celtics offense is a top 8 offense in the league. It's a good offense. It's just not going to have the consistency of a Milwaukee or GSW because Milwaukee has a dominant 2 point shooting game(best in league) and GSW are the best passing and three point team in the league.

The 3 was open, But I wouldn’t call it wide open; the defender was a few feet away.

More importantly, (1) there were 19 seconds on the shot clock with 52 seconds on the game clock, Cs up 5; and (2) Horford had a potential mismatch on the block or an option to set a screen.

Taking 5-10 seconds to work for a Horford postup seems like a much better option, with plenty of time to find a cutter or pass out for another look at a 3. Hard to imagine this was the best shot they were going to get and of course it prolonged the game.

https://twitter.com/StoolGreenie/status/1106992428890775552?s=20

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Celtics have terrible shot selection.

I am so sick of pullup threes on the fast break. Kyrie is the only one that can pull that off.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

when you need to get back in a game a jump shot is typically not the way to get the momentum back on your side. for whatever reason those shots just don't fall no matter where you're ranked statistically.

steph curry is steph curry - he takes bad shots, regardless of weather he makes 'em or not they're still bad shots.

this is why I could never get behind Avery Bradley, he took a lot of bad shots and made a lot of 'em. he's not steph curry and should not be encouraged to be steph curry.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The 3 was open, But I wouldn’t call it wide open; the defender was a few feet away.

More importantly, (1) there were 19 seconds on the shot clock with 52 seconds on the game clock, Cs up 5; and (2) Horford had a potential mismatch on the block or an option to set a screen.

Taking 5-10 seconds to work for a Horford postup seems like a much better option, with plenty of time to find a cutter or pass out for another look at a 3. Hard to imagine this was the best shot they were going to get and of course it prolonged the game.

https://twitter.com/StoolGreenie/status/1106992428890775552?s=20
I was talking wide open threes in general. That doesn't mean that some threes, when looked at in context, aren't really bad shots. Morris' shot was real bad.

That shot against Sacramento where Baynes had an uncontested dunk but threw it outside to a wide open Morris who missed the three. Even if Morris makes it, that is a bad shot. Take the dunk.

And you know what, every team takes those bad shots several times a game. I don't think the Celtics take those dumb shots any more or less than most teams in the league.

But the point of my original post is that most of the Celtics three point shots aren't bad or lazy shots. Most are shots the system hopes to create.

It just seems to me, especially from reading the game threads, that some think that the team's reliance on threes is lazy and bad basketball. It's not. Stevens system attempts to create those shots and are considered quality shots in the team's system.

And, the Celtics are a very good three point shooting team. They shoot 36.5% from three as a team. They need to exploit that. Stevens system does that.

All that said, that doesn't mean the Celtics don't take several lazy threes or bad unforced threes a game. As I said, I think every team does. It doesn't mean the Celtics team energy for many games was awful so the team took lazy threes all game, they have done that. Many times.

But even when the Celtics offense has been on great runs this year, many still complain about the threes. It's what this system is and it's what they are good at. I think the problem this year has been horrid team chemistry rather than poor shot selection or lazy three point shooting.