Author Topic: Bucks (2-1) at Celtics (1-2) Round 2 Game 4 5/6/19  (Read 70816 times)

Re: Bucks (2-1) at Celtics (1-2) Round 2 Game 4 5/6/19
« Reply #1080 on: May 07, 2019, 01:15:02 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Brad has to do something different in game 5 or it's just madness. Why did he play Kyrie for 44 minutes.

What happened to the game one Celtics?

From The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5/6/18534921/winners-losers-bucks-celtics-rockets-warriors-game-4

"Brad Stevens might not feel he has many other options. But for a coach who uses his men so fluidly at the wing despite their true position, it’s becoming inexcusable to not at least try his other options, even if that means going super small with three guards, or playing Aron Baynes (seven minutes in Game 4) fully knowing he’d wind up guarding the deep ball. At this point, any shift to the lineup is worthwhile."

Unfortunately liam, it was when Brad went to the 3 guard combo of Irving, Rozier and Smart in the 3rd that the game started to get away from us. I'm not sure what else Brad can try, though he probably should try something. End of day players need to make shots.

Oh, I agree. Playing Rozier at all is a mistake. The three guards I'd play is Brown, Kyrie and Smart or Brown, Wanamaker and Kyrie. I was also pointing more to the changing things up. I'd rather we go big against the Bucks myself. We need rebounders in the game and we need some kind of rim protection. Baynes, Theis and TIMELORD would all offer some kind of rim protect. I think you go small to try and score more but I believe the problem is defense not offense.We need to wall off the paint like we did in game one.

« Reply #1081 on: May 07, 2019, 01:42:41 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
In Kyrie's defense (somewhat) the Bucks are gearing their entire defense to slowing him down. The way the Celtics have tried to build a wall against Giannis - the Bucks are doing the same to Kyrie. 

He's getting guarded initially by Bledsoe (and Hill) and they're doing their best to stay in front of him and make it as difficult as possible from him to drive, but when he gets by the initial guard he's getting picked up the the 2nd layer - usually guys like Lopez or Giannis and they're succeeding in making it very difficult to get to the basket.  If he drives they contest everything. If he kicks, the ball moves and they miss a 3.  If someone else would get hot and make some shots, then Kyrie would be able do more.

But if no one else can make a shot, then it becomes a lot easier to guard him.

Except that (bolded) wasn't what happened tonight.  Literally all the other 4 starters shot way better than Kyrie.  The narrative that all the other 4 guys suck and if we just had someone else who could hit a shot wasn't true tonight.  It hasn't been true all series.  Kyrie hasn't hit shots, and he keeps taking a boat load of them, and keeps dribbling into the middle with no plan and turns the ball over, or forces a bad 3. 

We may not have gotten the perfect effort from the other 4 guys, but at least (2) of them Morris and Brown were scoring well this game.  Kyrie had more shots than both of them combined.  Kyrie has to be smart enough to recognize that spazzing out and forcing drives and forcing bad shots isn't going to beat a good team.  In this series he never figured that out.

I am done apologizing for Kyrie.  He is the star, he needs to play like one, both in shooting, but intelligent ball handling, distribution and defense.  We haven't gotten any of that from him in this series except game 1.

Honestly, we have to credit the bucks for executing their game plan.  Their plan was to wall off Kyrie, not let him get where he wanted, and force him to distribute or take bad shots.  The plan has worked really well.

The starters shot better but that's not really saying much. The team shot 38% from the field and 22% from three. George Hill singlehandedly outscored our bench. The idea that Kyrie is just refusing to pass the ball is untrue, he had 10 assists tonight.

Maybe he should pull a Gordon Hayward and take 5 shots next game. If the Great White Hope can get away with it, why can't he?

I wasn't arguing that the bench played well, they completely sucked.  I never said that Kyrie didn't pass the ball, he couldn't get 10 assists if other guys weren't hitting shots.  Our other starters shot 24/51 = 47%.  The other 4 starters weren't the problem on offense, that was Kyrie.

You're presenting it as if he only ever plays with the starters. There were quite a few instances of him driving to the paint, collapsing the defense, and kicking it out to Rozier or Smart and they brick the shots. Or when he runs a DHO with Gordon and Gordon refuses to shoot.

It's not even making excuses because i'm disappointed in his play. But it's been full season of him taking 100% of the blame. Meanwhile the Great White Hope has legitimately turned into Evan Turner this series.

You keep using this term. I sincerely hope this is not an attempt to suggest that Gordon being white has anything to do with your perception that he doesn’t get his deserved blame, as that’s completely inappropriate and off-base.

Not only are these completely different situations (Kyrie is the outright leader and multi-time All Star of the group which comes with more responsibility; Gordon coming off of a career-altering injury; etc.), but you’re not paying attention if you think that Gordon hasn’t had his fair share of blame and complaints on this blog, both fair and unfair.

Gordon absolutely is a major factor in these guys’ struggles, but Kyrie gets a bigger share of the blame because he’s the leader and outright best player on the team. That comes with more responsibilities, which results in blame when they’re not met.

I 100% believe that - all things being equal - if their races were reversed, the media narrative around them would be different. Especially in Boston. I'm not sure why that's labeled "inappropriate" as I'm allowed my opinion as you are yours.

The fact that we're still softening expectations for Gordon shows that the perception is different. Gordon isn't the first guy to ever suffer a major injury. Although not as severe, Kyrie also had two surgeries to end his season last year. Injury or not, if a guy is the highest paid player on the team and the 6th highest paid player in the league, he should be expected to provide more than 5 shots in multiple playoff games. Where's his leadership? Where's his heart? His body language on the court is just as bad as people claim Kyrie's is.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #1082 on: May 07, 2019, 01:54:55 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I have never seen  you criticize Kyrie, ever, You  always defend him regardless  of  the situation as if he were perfect and beyond reproach.  I get your point about GH.... he is really stinking up the joint at this point, and JT is a hot mess. A lot of blame to go around but Kyrie being the leader should get  the lion share of the blame. Do you agree?

« Reply #1083 on: May 07, 2019, 02:05:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Brad has to do something different in game 5 or it's just madness. Why did he play Kyrie for 44 minutes.

What happened to the game one Celtics?

From The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5/6/18534921/winners-losers-bucks-celtics-rockets-warriors-game-4

"Brad Stevens might not feel he has many other options. But for a coach who uses his men so fluidly at the wing despite their true position, it’s becoming inexcusable to not at least try his other options, even if that means going super small with three guards, or playing Aron Baynes (seven minutes in Game 4) fully knowing he’d wind up guarding the deep ball. At this point, any shift to the lineup is worthwhile."

Unfortunately liam, it was when Brad went to the 3 guard combo of Irving, Rozier and Smart in the 3rd that the game started to get away from us. I'm not sure what else Brad can try, though he probably should try something. End of day players need to make shots.

Oh, I agree. Playing Rozier at all is a mistake. The three guards I'd play is Brown, Kyrie and Smart or Brown, Wanamaker and Kyrie. I was also pointing more to the changing things up. I'd rather we go big against the Bucks myself. We need rebounders in the game and we need some kind of rim protection. Baynes, Theis and TIMELORD would all offer some kind of rim protect. I think you go small to try and score more but I believe the problem is defense not offense.We need to wall off the paint like we did in game one.

This team really is choking under the pressure of expectation - their own expectations and that of everyone else. Maybe going to Milwaukee 3-1 down, nobody gives them a chance, they might actually pull it out. I worry about Smart, I'd never doubt his heart and commitment but he looks short of match fitness right now. They need to get Gordon going somehow, he's been the biggest disappointment these playoffs for me.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1084 on: May 07, 2019, 02:20:17 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I went back and looked at the Milwaukee lineup when they started their 21-13 run that put us away at the end of the 3rd:

George Hill, Pat Connaughton, Sterling Brown, Ersan Ilyasova, and Brook Lopez

Says it all doesn't it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1085 on: May 07, 2019, 03:43:58 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I went back and looked at the Milwaukee lineup when they started their 21-13 run that put us away at the end of the 3rd:

Says it all doesn't it.

TP.

Game was atrocious.

« Reply #1086 on: May 07, 2019, 04:29:37 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Says it all doesn't it.

TP.

Game was atrocious.

It was matched by that stupid 3 guard line up where Rozier wanted to get some shots in and unfortunately kept clanging.. I remember the turning point when Rozier put up an ill advised 3 with em up 2..fastbreak and went up to 4 and they never looked back.. In the meantime Brad kept on waiting for that 3  guard line up to click.. It didn't.

« Reply #1087 on: May 07, 2019, 04:43:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Smart 1-7 FGAs = this is what I was worried about. Dude always struggles with his jump-shot after injuries. Rushing him back was always a high-risk play.

« Reply #1088 on: May 07, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm assuming most of us are expecting the season to end on Wednesday.  Is anyone more worried that they will somehow pull out a win on the road, only to get annihilated by 30+ points on their home court in game 6?

It would be very fitting for them to tease us with a lucky shooting night in game 5. 

« Reply #1089 on: May 07, 2019, 11:32:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm assuming most of us are expecting the season to end on Wednesday.  Is anyone more worried that they will somehow pull out a win on the road, only to get annihilated by 30+ points on their home court in game 6?

It would be very fitting for them to tease us with a lucky shooting night in game 5.
I'd rather win game 5 and get blown out in game 6 than receive a gentleman's sweep.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1090 on: May 07, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I'd rather win game 5 and get blown out in game 6 than receive a gentleman's sweep.

I'm being somewhat sarcastic but it would be a fitting end to a frustrating season.

« Reply #1091 on: July 13, 2019, 04:57:26 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Who’s the announcer that’s so annoying?

« Reply #1092 on: July 13, 2019, 04:58:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Wrong thread. Why is this thread even up in the latest discussions section?

« Reply #1093 on: July 13, 2019, 05:00:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WHOAH where did this come from??