Author Topic: 2016 CB Draft: Discussion thread  (Read 206097 times)

Re: 2016 CB Draft: Discussion thread
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Thoughts on my current trio of Conley - Parsons - Horford?

So far, I've simply drafted BPA (per my board which is assuredly different than just about everyones- there are still 8 players left in my top 40).  But from here on out I'll need to draft for fit, as well, or make trades.

« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

So far, I've simply drafted BPA (per my board which is assuredly different than just about everyones- there are still 8 players left in my top 40).  But from here on out I'll need to draft for fit, as well, or make trades.

Hard to ask for a steadier 2-way duo than Conley and Horford. Excellent defenders, efficient and versatile offensive players who rarely turn it over.

Then a supremely versatile wing in Parsons who will work really well with those two offensively. Sort of 2004 Pistons model you're working towards.

Problems I'd want to address are rebounding and defensive toughness.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Hard to ask for a steadier 2-way duo than Conley and Horford. Excellent defenders, efficient and versatile offensive players who rarely turn it over.

Then a supremely versatile wing in Parsons who will work really well with those two offensively. Sort of 2004 Pistons model you're working towards.

Problems I'd want to address are rebounding and defensive toughness.

Yeah, I agree rebounding is an area I'll need to shore up before long.

I had really wanted to trade up for JVal, but alas, he was taken right as I was about to throw out what probably was a stupid offer.  Probably got saved a bit there.

While personally I have no issue playing Horford at either C or PF, I gather that's not a popular opinion.

Anyways, TP for the feedback!

« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2016, 05:37:40 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Thoughts on Holiday- Carmelo- Aldridge?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #274 on: August 03, 2016, 06:54:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I agree with Snively, Horford and Conley are steady great players that will give you a steady supply of defense and good decisions on the court.

Chandler Parsons has tailed off a bit, but he is coming off an injury. He seems to be a good fit with these three. I question the scoring though. As good as Conley and Horford is, they are not high volume, "give the ball to me" scorers. I'm not sure if Parsons is that guy as well, and he's on a downspin.

Are those positions the next in line for the next couple of rounds?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2016, 06:55:53 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Plenty of firepower wiht LMA and Melo on the team. Jrue adds some third option scoring if needed, a good ball handler to bring the ball to either two, and stabilizes the defense at the PG spot.

Defensively though, Melo and LMA aren't the quickest, and they may get exposed vs quicker opposition.

« Reply #276 on: August 03, 2016, 07:12:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Despite the fact that I'm not a big fan of Holiday, I think this is probably one of the better trios so far.

Do you plan on adding a center or do you plan on starting LMA there?

« Reply #277 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I agree with Snively, Horford and Conley are steady great players that will give you a steady supply of defense and good decisions on the court.

Chandler Parsons has tailed off a bit, but he is coming off an injury. He seems to be a good fit with these three. I question the scoring though. As good as Conley and Horford is, they are not high volume, "give the ball to me" scorers. I'm not sure if Parsons is that guy as well, and he's on a downspin.

Are those positions the next in line for the next couple of rounds?

I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of Parsons, but he is a very versatile offensive player, and I expect him to have a much better season this year in Memphis. His post ASG numbers last year were fantastic.   Over 17 ppg on 40%+ three point shooting.

« Reply #278 on: August 03, 2016, 07:32:16 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Despite the fact that I'm not a big fan of Holiday, I think this is probably one of the better trios so far.

Honestly it will be dependent on who is available.  I think LMA at the 5 would have an advantage offensively against any center, and could defensively handle the majority. 

I think LMA at the 5 and Melo at the 4 would expose a lot of teams defensively. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Plenty of firepower wiht LMA and Melo on the team. Jrue adds some third option scoring if needed, a good ball handler to bring the ball to either two, and stabilizes the defense at the PG spot.

Defensively though, Melo and LMA aren't the quickest, and they may get exposed vs quicker opposition.

I think LMA is fine defensively, Melo is Melo.  Jrue is elite defensively.  My plan is to add defense around scorers.  Honestly not sure how Jrue slipped so far.  He was a far better PG than some picked before him and is only 26

« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2016, 07:38:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Honestly it will be dependent on who is available.  I think LMA at the 5 would have an advantage offensively against any center, and could defensively handle the majority. 

Yeah. I'd go with this route. LMA is a competent enough rim protector to play C. My only concern is will LMA be able to handle physical centers like Dwight Howard without having foul trouble?

« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Yeah. I'd go with this route. LMA is a competent enough rim protector to play C. My only concern is will LMA be able to handle physical centers like Dwight Howard without having foul trouble?

First, how many centers could he not handle?  Maybe 5 out of 30 starting cemters?  Second how many of hose 5 could handle his offensive game off the dribble/ midrange away from the basket

« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2016, 07:53:20 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

First, how many centers could he not handle?  Maybe 5 out of 30 starting cemters?  Second how many of hose 5 could handle his offensive game off the dribble/ midrange away from the basket

Well, FWIW, LMA's team have made a pretty concerted effort to avoid playing him at the 5 pretty much his entire career.  Although that seems more due to his lack of desire to play the position.

« Reply #283 on: August 03, 2016, 07:56:35 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Well, FWIW, LMA's team have made a pretty concerted effort to avoid playing him at the 5 pretty much his entire career.  Although that seems more due to his lack of desire to play the position.

I know, KG also didn't want to play the 5 for the celts.  Was much more effective when he played there though

« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2016, 07:57:58 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

LMA at the 5 defensively is less about individual defensive match-ups than team D. He's just not the impact defender that you want at the 5 - not a big time deterrent at the rim, not a big hustle guy, not super physical. Good rebounder and mobile so he's not a liability, but playing him at the 5 puts pressure on you to fill the rest of the roster with high intensity defenders if you want to field a strong defensive squad.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri