Author Topic: 2016 CB Draft: Discussion thread  (Read 206083 times)

Re: 2016 CB Draft: Discussion thread
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Really like the two combo forwards I'm going to start at the 3 and 4 in Aaron Gordon and Jabari Parker. I think both have super star upside. Gordon can take the more difficult match up on defense and help cover up for Jabari's d.

Thoughts on my team so far? I have 3 4ths tomorrow, that should help fill out my roster.

Fun group. I like the interchangeability of those 3 guys -- Klay, Jabari and A.Gordon.

They mesh nicely together. Klay as the sharpshooter and scorer. Jabari offers more of an isolation threat when needed. More of a physical power 3. Aaron Gordon is a glue guy forward who does all the other things. One of the top young defensive players in the league. I think they will combine very well with one another.
Thanks man. TP!

I have 3 picks tomorrow. What areas do you think I should target?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Trade Announcement

Cavs trade D'Angelo Russell, 13.17, and 13.22

Nets trade 4.23, 5.24, and 7.8

Slight overpay on my part, but Russell is going to be good. The 2nd half of his rookie year showed serious potential.

D'Angelo and Cousins in the same locker room, that will be nuts.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Trade Announcement

Slight overpay on my part, but Russell is going to be good. The 2nd half of his rookie year showed serious potential.

Nets have a "No Recording in the Locker Room" policy.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2016, 04:10:40 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Trade Announcement

I love those guys individually, but both need to be surrounded by high effort guys that can play defense. Not really a fan of the pairing (although I love the value where D'Angelo was picked)

« Reply #259 on: August 03, 2016, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
OKC Thunder

PG: Jeff Teague
SG: Rodney Hood
SF:
PF: Ryan Anderson
PF/C: Draymond Green

« Reply #260 on: August 03, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • Derrick Rose is year-to-year
So I didn't pick early but I have 5 guys selected through 3 rounds:

Bledsoe, Beal, Turner, Winslow, Ingram.

Thoughts?
CB Draft: Golden State Warriors - 14.23
PG: Bledsoe/Lin/ Harris
SG: Beal/ Henderson/ Ingram
SF: Winslow/McDermott/
PF: Turner/ Acy / Hernangomez
C: Adams/ Turner/ McRoberts
DKC Nets: http://tinyurl.com/h5mdvwj

« Reply #261 on: August 03, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
OKC Thunder

SF:

I love the Rodney Hood pick. Not sure about Dray being a full time center without a defensive upgrade at the 4.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Really like the two combo forwards I'm going to start at the 3 and 4 in Aaron Gordon and Jabari Parker. I think both have super star upside. Gordon can take the more difficult match up on defense and help cover up for Jabari's d.

Thoughts on my team so far? I have 3 4ths tomorrow, that should help fill out my roster.

Fun group. I like the interchangeability of those 3 guys -- Klay, Jabari and A.Gordon.

They mesh nicely together. Klay as the sharpshooter and scorer. Jabari offers more of an isolation threat when needed. More of a physical power 3. Aaron Gordon is a glue guy forward who does all the other things. One of the top young defensive players in the league. I think they will combine very well with one another.
Thanks man. TP!

I think you can put just about anything next to those guys.

You could be a halfcourt team. Or you could be a run and gun team. They can do both.

You can have a post-up center. Or a defensive center. Either will work well here.

Maybe avoid a high usage PG. Just to make sure Jabari and Klay get their touches. But almost all those PGs are off the board already anyway.

« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
OKC Thunder

SF:
Dray will be playing a lot of time at the 4. Anderson is probably my sixth man, if my draft board goes as planned

I love the Rodney Hood pick. Not sure about Dray being a full time center without a defensive upgrade at the 4.

« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
C: Jonas Valanciunas
F: Karl-Anthony Towns
F:
G: Khris Middleton
G:

Solid young team with talent. I'm probably not doing a good service for Towns putting him at PF, but Valanciunas' rebounding, toughness and physicality is too much to pass.
I think going big like that in today's day and age is a bad idea. I guess if everyone in your lineup besides Val can shoot it will be ok. But having two 7 footers can really gum up spacing and make you slow on close outs imo.

Watching the Celtics last year really reinforced my feeling that teams are most successful when they have no more than one guy who can't shoot/create off the dribble on the floor at a time.

While I'm not beholden to any specific style, I do prefer the "twin towers" style the most.  But this isn't to say that going with just a single traditional big is a bad idea, it's obviously not.

But I do disagree that going big is a bad idea.  I think with so many teams going smaller and smaller now is the perfect time to zig while everyone else zags.  Dominate the paint, dominate the glass, and force the other team to adjust.  It takes the right pairing, but if done properly is the perfect foil to small ball.

For the record, I love the JVal-KAT duo, that is going to be hard to match up with for most teams.

« Reply #265 on: August 03, 2016, 04:41:32 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Thanks man. TP!

I think you can put just about anything next to those guys.

You could be a halfcourt team. Or you could be a run and gun team. They can do both.

You can have a post-up center. Or a defensive center. Either will work well here.

Maybe avoid a high usage PG. Just to make sure Jabari and Klay get their touches. But almost all those PGs are off the board already anyway.
I was considering drafting a player who defends one's but is more of a floor spacer on offense rather than a ball dominant guy. I'm just worried that if I add an off ball guy at the one that my team won't be able to run our offense on O.

Agree the ball dominant PG are mostly gone.

« Reply #266 on: August 03, 2016, 04:43:20 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • Derrick Rose is year-to-year
Looking to move into the 4th. Have a 5th and will give a 10th for an end of draft pick (12-13)
CB Draft: Golden State Warriors - 14.23
PG: Bledsoe/Lin/ Harris
SG: Beal/ Henderson/ Ingram
SF: Winslow/McDermott/
PF: Turner/ Acy / Hernangomez
C: Adams/ Turner/ McRoberts
DKC Nets: http://tinyurl.com/h5mdvwj

« Reply #267 on: August 03, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
F:
G:

Solid young team with talent. I'm probably not doing a good service for Towns putting him at PF, but Valanciunas' rebounding, toughness and physicality is too much to pass.
I think going big like that in today's day and age is a bad idea. I guess if everyone in your lineup besides Val can shoot it will be ok. But having two 7 footers can really gum up spacing and make you slow on close outs imo.

Watching the Celtics last year really reinforced my feeling that teams are most successful when they have no more than one guy who can't shoot/create off the dribble on the floor at a time.

While I'm not beholden to any specific style, I do prefer the "twin towers" style the most.  But this isn't to say that going with just a single traditional big is a bad idea, it's obviously not.

But I do disagree that going big is a bad idea.  I think with so many teams going smaller and smaller now is the perfect time to zig while everyone else zags.  Dominate the paint, dominate the glass, and force the other team to adjust.  It takes the right pairing, but if done properly is the perfect foil to small ball.

For the record, I love the JVal-KAT duo, that is going to be hard to match up with for most teams.
Maybe the Warriors have shifted my view, but I think in today's league it is much easier for a small team to handle bigs than for big team to play defense against smalls.

Due to the illegal defense rules allow for creative trapping, smaller teams like the Warriors can get stop post ups before they begin.

With small teams, big teams are forced to guard everyone on the perimeter, so if you have one slower player that guy can get abused in the pick and roll.

I'm very curious to see if there will be teams who try to go big and how those teams fare next year.

When a big team goes against a small team, good

« Reply #268 on: August 03, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
If Smart had of dropped another 6 picks, I was liking the idea of putting him under D'Antoni

PG: Dragic
SG: Smart
SF: DeMarre Carroll
PF:
 C: Anthony Davis

I think that could have been a fun scrappy crew.

Not wholly convinced Smart was right for D'Antoni but definitely intrigued by it. Some secondary ball-handling and passing. Versatile defending. I think Smart would have liked the quick shot selection and lots of 3s. Extra rebounding. I was thinking of Landry Fields doing well under D'Antoni as well. That Smart would have some similarities to Fields as an off the ball SG when Fields had a career year under D'Antoni shooting the ball.

« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2016, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
F:
G:

Maybe the Warriors have shifted my view, but I think in today's league it is much easier for a small team to handle bigs than for big team to play defense against smalls.

Due to the illegal defense rules allow for creative trapping, smaller teams like the Warriors can get stop post ups before they begin.

With small teams, big teams are forced to guard everyone on the perimeter, so if you have one slower player that guy can get abused in the pick and roll.

I'm very curious to see if there will be teams who try to go big and how those teams fare next year.

When a big team goes against a small team, good

Yeah, and I kind of hate the Warriors for it.

They're one team, with a really unique roster that can't really be duplicated.  Yet everyone is trying to, in my opinion, to their own detriment.

But that's the NBA, it's the ultimate copy cat league.