Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 90067 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Special team, wdleehi.  Perhaps a bit redundant at PF, as you’ve got five guys who should see minutes there.  Otherwise, this is just an excellent team that I’d love to match up against.
wd has a 2019-20 Knicks theme going on.....only, wd's team is good

I still think you can bump Randolph over the the C position.

I love Randolph, and once built around him and Derrick Rose in the CB Draft.  I’m not sure that I agree he would play center, if only under the theory “if he could do it, he would have done it previously“.

I mean, he could play the position like a certain infant-esque Celtic used to, but I don’t think he could play well there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2020, 01:27:31 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Special team, wdleehi.  Perhaps a bit redundant at PF, as you’ve got five guys who should see minutes there.  Otherwise, this is just an excellent team that I’d love to match up against.

I love Randolph, and once built around him and Derrick Rose in the CB Draft.  I’m not sure that I agree he would play center, if only under the theory “if he could do it, he would have done it previously“.

I mean, he could play the position like a certain infant-esque Celtic used to, but I don’t think he could play well there.
He did play centre for New York in the 2000s though, and played some more centre at the end of his career (not as a full time centre, but he did spend time at the 5).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2020, 01:30:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He did play centre for New York in the 2000s though, and played some more centre at the end of his career (not as a full time centre, but he did spend time at the 5).

True, but he was terrible there with the Knicks.  His career resurgence came in Memphis when he was used correctly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2020, 01:39:04 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

True, but he was terrible there with the Knicks.  His career resurgence came in Memphis when he was used correctly.
To be fair the Knicks themselves as a team were terrible, I think he was alright there. To me the evidence that he could play some C effectively in this format is how he stayed effective in his final Memphis years as a PF/C hybrid who played the 5 whenever Gasol sat.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2020, 01:55:26 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Team after 10 rounds:

Toronto Raptors

PG: Kyle Lowry, Kemba Walker
SG: Vince Carter, Donovan Mitchell
SF: Khris Middleton, Luol Deng
PF: Kevin Garnett, Antawn Jamison
C: David Robinson, Vlade Divac

Thoughts? I rate Mitchell as a pretty strong guard defender (yes he has some deficiencies, but he still grades out as a good defender imo), and adding him as well as Antawn to the bench would give the second unit a nice scoring punch while not completely gutting the defence.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2020, 01:56:03 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Team after 10 rounds:

Toronto Raptors

PG: Kyle Lowry, Kemba Walker
SG: Vince Carter, Donovan Mitchell
SF: Khris Middleton, Luol Deng
PF: Kevin Garnett, Antawn Jamison
C: David Robinson, Vlade Divac

Very well balanced squad.  Especially defensively.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2020, 02:03:32 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Boston Celtics

C: Marc Gasol, Nene
F: Pau Gasol, Rasheed Wallace
F: Kevin Durant, Danny Granger, R-Jefferson
G: Allan Houston
G: Steve Nash, John Stockton

Is it fair to assume that in some lineups you will shift Pau to Center and Durant to power forward? One of the things that I really like about your squad is its front court versatility.
Yeah, definitely. That is the goal.

Open the floor out and let Steve Nash attack.

M.Gasol, Sheed or Nene can also play center in such a lineup but Pau Gasol is clearly #1 option.

Love this.  I actually like Marc, Sheed, or Nene as the center alongside Durant at PF just as much as I like Pau there.  There is just a perfect SG IMO still available for your team that I considered with both of my last picks.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Boston Celtics

C: Marc Gasol, Nene
F: Pau Gasol, Rasheed Wallace
F: Kevin Durant, Danny Granger, R-Jefferson
G: Allan Houston
G: Steve Nash, John Stockton

Is it fair to assume that in some lineups you will shift Pau to Center and Durant to power forward? One of the things that I really like about your squad is its front court versatility.
Yeah, definitely. That is the goal.

Open the floor out and let Steve Nash attack.

M.Gasol, Sheed or Nene can also play center in such a lineup but Pau Gasol is clearly #1 option.

Love this.  I actually like Marc, Sheed, or Nene as the center alongside Durant at PF just as much as I like Pau there.  There is just a perfect SG IMO still available for your team that I considered with both of my last picks.

I am torn between 4 SGs. Couldn't make my mind up so I gave up and took Richard Jefferson instead.

« Reply #233 on: March 31, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Feedback on J.J. Redick?

I thought his 2017 season — where he shot 47.5% on threes at high volume — was as good a season as any shooter taken in the last couple of rounds.  His Clippers days were his peak:  decent, irritating defense and lots of spacing on offense.

« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Feedback on J.J. Redick?

I thought his 2017 season — where he shot 47.5% on threes at high volume — was as good a season as any shooter taken in the last couple of rounds.  His Clippers days were his peak:  decent, irritating defense and lots of spacing on offense.

You have a great inside/out look right now.  The idea of having Manu & Reddick both on the court for kickouts is insane!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2020, 02:27:31 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Feedback on J.J. Redick?

I like him a lot offensively, but I think he'll be exposed a bit on the defensive end (yes, he's irritating, but there's only so much you can do when the worst offensive guys you're matching up with are bulky wings like Bowen who could muscle him inside for easy baskets). Would've loved to have him on my squad if my bench defence was better.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2020, 02:35:04 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Feedback on J.J. Redick?

A few rounds ago, I was trying to pick the best shooters in the draft.  I couldn't really separate many of them, so I had a "best shooters tier" of 8 guys and he was in there.  For me those guys were Steph, Durant, Nash, Ray, Klay, Peja, Redick, and I can't recall the 8th.  Maybe Harden?  Redd was in consideration too I think.  Nope, it was Korver. 

They all just bring slightly different things with them along with their ability to drain 3s.  For example, Peja is a better overall scorer while Redick is a better defender at his position.  I've gotta wonder... is Peja (3rd round) really that much better of an overall fit in a starting lineup at his position than Redick is?  Maybe slightly at best if at all.  In that light, Redick is a great value pick at this stage in the draft. 

That's just a specific analysis that's not really necessary though.  I think anybody would look at Redick and like the pick and the fit into just about any team.  I wouldn't have as much as blinked if he was taken 2-3 rounds earlier.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2020, 02:39:55 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Feedback on J.J. Redick?

I like him a lot offensively, but I think he'll be exposed a bit on the defensive end (yes, he's irritating, but there's only so much you can do when the worst offensive guys you're matching up with are bulky wings like Bowen who could muscle him inside for easy baskets). Would've loved to have him on my squad if my bench defence was better.

Well I expect Redick would play exclusively at SG (89% of his career minutes there) where Bowen played the vast majority of his minutes (76%) at SF.  But really if anything, I think you could hide Redick on a guy like Bowen at times when needed.  I don't recall Bowen having any kind of inside muscle to his game, I only recall him being a corner 3 shooter and someone who should have shot his free throw attempts from 8 feet further back.

« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2020, 03:11:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Looking for feedback on the backup center position for the Utah Jazz

I've got Shaq slotted for 35 minutes and Horford taking a handful of minutes at backup C (two 3 minute stretches), which leaves me with about ~7 remaining minutes at backup center.  I'm considering a couple different types for that role.  What type do you think would fit best with my current team for that ~7 minute role:

A) A very good offensive center who can stretch the floor, but is very weak defensively
B) A great defensive rim protecting center who isn't too mobile nor strong offensively
C) A good defensive center who can stretch his defense out to the perimeter, also isn't strong offensively

« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2020, 03:13:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Looking for feedback on the backup center position for the Utah Jazz

I've got Shaq slotted for 35 minutes and Horford taking a handful of minutes at backup C (two 3 minute stretches), which leaves me with about ~7 remaining minutes at backup center.  I'm considering a couple different types for that role.  What type do you think would fit best with my current team for that ~7 minute role:

A) A very good offensive center who can stretch the floor, but is very weak defensively
B) A great defensive rim protecting center who isn't too mobile nor strong offensively
C) A good defensive center who can stretch his defense out to the perimeter, also isn't strong offensively

I know who A is; I can guess on B and C.

I’d go C.  It gives a counterbalance to Shaq; mobility is important.