Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 88623 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2020, 05:03:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Now for my team: Denver Nuggets:
PG: Gary Payton/Kyrie Irving
SG: Rip Hamilton
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Draymond Green
C: Tim Duncan

If anyone has any suggestions/critiques, please let me know! If you feel like giving specific suggestions, you can pm me. I'd definitely appreciate it!

I talked earlier on in the draft about Payton maybe playing in a two PG backcourt and defending the bigger guard - that could work well with Kyrie Irving.

Those two creating off the bounce with Draymond as a third ball-handler and Timmy in the middle. Not necessarily as a starting combo but as a regular weapon for your team. A two PG backcourt.

I like the two PG backcourt better without Carmelo. I worry a little about Melo and Kyrie together. Kept apart, I believe is their best chance to play team ball. When together, I worry about too many quick shots or isolations ... Timmy D not getting enough touches, not being involved enough.

« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2020, 05:21:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Now for my team: Denver Nuggets:
PG: Gary Payton/Kyrie Irving
SG: Rip Hamilton
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Draymond Green
C: Tim Duncan

If anyone has any suggestions/critiques, please let me know! If you feel like giving specific suggestions, you can pm me. I'd definitely appreciate it!

I talked earlier on in the draft about Payton maybe playing in a two PG backcourt and defending the bigger guard - that could work well with Kyrie Irving.

Those two creating off the bounce with Draymond as a third ball-handler and Timmy in the middle. Not necessarily as a starting combo but as a regular weapon for your team. A two PG backcourt.

I like the two PG backcourt better without Carmelo. I worry a little about Melo and Kyrie together. Kept apart, I believe is their best chance to play team ball. When together, I worry about too many quick shots or isolations ... Timmy D not getting enough touches, not being involved enough.
Gotta say I hate the two PG offense idea for this team. Payton was a great defender but he was still 175-185 pounds. He did his best against PGs. He isn't a small tank like a certain defender we know that could easily guard up and still be elite guarding SGs and SFs. Payton, in this game, would have trouble with bigger more physical wing players.

Payton is an incredible PG, why turn him into a mediocre SG/wing. Just use the incredible wing. As a once in a while gimmick offense in certain situation, sure, but as a set offense, you simply are not maximizing talent and it's a bad idea, IMO.

« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Since my team is done for the day

G:  Ray Allen and Chauncey Billups
F.  Lebron James and Gerald Wallace
C.  Rudy Gobert

My team has a strong defense with a balanced offense.   Three guys that can shoot a high % of three pointers around Lebron.

That trade that got you LeBron and Ray might have boosted your stock. Those two with Chauncey Billups form a great trip capable of playing together seamlessly.

Have a gritty player in Gerald Wallace offers extra toughness when situations arise.

I'm really curious who you have in mind at PF.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2020, 06:32:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

C.  Rudy Gobert

My team has a strong defense with a balanced offense.   Three guys that can shoot a high % of three pointers around Lebron.

That trade that got you LeBron and Ray might have boosted your stock. Those two with Chauncey Billups form a great trip capable of playing together seamlessly.

Have a gritty player in Gerald Wallace offers extra toughness when situations arise.

I think the trade transformed the Sixers from upper middle of the pack to title contender. The lack of value wdleehi gave up for a guy that led his team to 9 NBA Finals out of the 20 seasons in this era is pretty incredible.

Honestly, as commish, I had to pause and ask for advice because I thought the trade close to veto worthy but ultimately let it go through since Jvalin wanted the trade.

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

C.  Rudy Gobert

I think the trade transformed the Sixers from upper middle of the pack to title contender. The lack of value wdleehi gave up for a guy that led his team to 9 NBA Finals out of the 20 seasons in this era is pretty incredible.

Honestly, as commish, I had to pause and ask for advice because I thought the trade close to veto worthy but ultimately let it go through since Jvalin wanted the trade.
Totally understand your hesitancy.  The inclusion of Ray for Klay was strange to me.  I know Klay was taken one spot before Ray but I'd consider Ray to be the superior player. 

« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Would appreciate to hear people's feedback on my team the Utah Jazz.

Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - Peja Stojakovic - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo

I have a floor-spreading, more athletic PF that I'm considering drafting next who could possibly start and move Horford to the bench.  What do people think about that idea in theory? 

I do love Horford's elbows-wide-screens freeing up Reggie and Peja off-ball with the starting unit, but that could move to my offensive attack when Shaq rests.
Love your starters, especially if you pick a Kidd year where he is hitting the three at an above average to great rate.

Not loving Rondo as a 6th man or backup PG as he really is kind of redundant with a very similar skill set to Kidd. I think there were better options out there.

But Rondo is easily tradeable and could net you a great asset in a trade.
Personally I think having a similar backup PG is a plus. You want to be able to run the same offense.  Both Kidd and Rondo will be masterful getting the ball to Shaq and the shooters. 

« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
6 rounds in and there is still very little separating my handful of favourites. Awesome stuff
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2020, 07:35:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
6 rounds in and there is still very little separating my handful of favourites. Awesome stuff

This has been one of the more (if not most) cerebral draft I've participated in on here. 

Very impressed with everyone.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2020, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Oklahoma City thru Round 6.

PG: Jrue Holiday
SG: Paul George
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
C : Ben Wallace

Bench:

Bradley Beal

The Jrue Holiday selection in the 5th might be questionable, especially since I moved up to get him too, but I love his fit along with this group. He adds extra scoring, some playmaking and versatilty. With his elite defense, we now have a good to elite defensive team.

Bradley Beal, to be honest, is a panic pick. I just though, who else I can pick coming from the bench that could be a spark plug offensively that has some form of defense, and he popped the first thing in mind.

Definitely didn't get a MVP level player, which is what some think is a concern, but I see enough talent, with championship winning experience and plenty of things to offer on both sides of the floor with what we have right now.

I'll just note that your best lineup is probably a Beal-Pierce-George wing trio.  Jrue and Big Ben to complement those three elite scorers.

« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2020, 08:06:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Bench:

Bradley Beal

The Jrue Holiday selection in the 5th might be questionable, especially since I moved up to get him too, but I love his fit along with this group. He adds extra scoring, some playmaking and versatilty. With his elite defense, we now have a good to elite defensive team.

Bradley Beal, to be honest, is a panic pick. I just though, who else I can pick coming from the bench that could be a spark plug offensively that has some form of defense, and he popped the first thing in mind.

Definitely didn't get a MVP level player, which is what some think is a concern, but I see enough talent, with championship winning experience and plenty of things to offer on both sides of the floor with what we have right now.

I'll just note that your best lineup is probably a Beal-Pierce-George wing trio.  Jrue and Big Ben to complement those three elite scorers.

I’m not sure that a small ball starting lineup works in this league.  Pierce / PG can’t guard bigs like Webber, Brand, Malone, Dirk, KG, Amare, etc.  Some of those guys could guard wings out on the perimeter, but a large percentage could.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:11:44 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Personally I think having a similar backup PG is a plus. You want to be able to run the same offense.  Both Kidd and Rondo will be masterful getting the ball to Shaq and the shooters.

I don’t think there’s a right answer here.  Theoretically giving a defense differing looks could make it harder for the other team to adjust.  At the same time, if a system is dominant, why change it, right? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Bench:

Bradley Beal

I’m not sure that a small ball starting lineup works in this league.  Pierce / PG can’t guard bigs like Webber, Brand, Malone, Dirk, KG, Amare, etc.  Some of those guys could guard wings out on the perimeter, but a large percentage could.

It would be the ultimate 'new age' NBA vs 'old age' NBA argument.  It'd be a four-out offense with possible the best defensive center of the era.  George may not be able to guard many of those guys in the post, but they aren't stopping him from hitting ~40% on 7+ threes per game either.

« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150

I don’t think there’s a right answer here.  Theoretically giving a defense differing looks could make it harder for the other team to adjust.  At the same time, if a system is dominant, why change it, right?

It may partially depend on who gets to play when Shaq sits on the bench, and how that individual fits with Kidd and Rondo. Is he another dominant post player, a fantastic pick and roll player, or are you suddenly left over-relying on the rest of your team (like if you recreated the Celtics starting lineup for the latest championship). I'm not sure you can get away with that sort of bench in this league. If it's the right fit, though, who plays the minutes alongside Rondo, that can be okay.

It can also work great if you have Shaq play with Rondo's bench minutes, and then pair Kidd with Horford and another big. That could also work.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2020, 08:29:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Bench:

Bradley Beal

I would love to, but in this league, I don't think it could work.

With teams having frontcourts like KG-Robinson, Zo-Malone, Gasol brothers, among others, I feel like I'd be giving up way too much size.

Ben is good, but that's too much a load to handle for him if I put PG at the 4.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2020, 08:35:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Bench:

Bradley Beal

In one game, this could be true.  Over the course of a season, though, I think it leads to a lot of extra wear and tear.  The big question is, would the refs let them play?  If so, I bet on old school.