Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 76840 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 season
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
New England Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower is opting out of the 2020 season, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.‬

Running back Brandon Bolden also is planning to opt out of the season, a source told ESPN. Starting offensive tackle Marcus Cannon, fullback Danny Vitale and reserve offensive lineman Najee Toran earlier decided to opt out for the Patriots.

The NFL should just cancel the season. As should MLB.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
New England Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower is opting out of the 2020 season, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday.‬

Running back Brandon Bolden also is planning to opt out of the season, a source told ESPN. Starting offensive tackle Marcus Cannon, fullback Danny Vitale and reserve offensive lineman Najee Toran earlier decided to opt out for the Patriots.

If any league is going to try & force things, hell or high water, its going to be the NFL.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2020, 12:45:27 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I still can't believe neither league decided to use at least 4 different bubble locations. You would substantially increase the chances of protecting the players and coaches. Also, the teams would dramatically cut down their travel costs.

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2020, 01:08:12 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

They might as well cancel the NBA and NHL too. I was watching that scrimmage the other night and it just didn't feel legit. The players were playing hard, the game was pretty crisp and yet... I dunno, with the fans gone it's not the same vibe at all. It kind of made me not want to watch, despite being starved for sports.

I just don't see how a championship this year fits in with the championships from all the other years. Might as well slap on that asterisk now.

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2020, 01:14:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

They might as well cancel the NBA and NHL too. I was watching that scrimmage the other night and it just didn't feel legit. The players were playing hard, the game was pretty crisp and yet... I dunno, with the fans gone it's not the same vibe at all. It kind of made me not want to watch, despite being starved for sports.

I just don't see how a championship this year fits in with the championships from all the other years. Might as well slap on that asterisk now.

We'll see how it evolves.  The palpable tension of an elimination game in the playoffs will be the real test.

The NHL will have the easiest time having the competition on the level I think.  You can't half ass it on the ice or you will get leveled pretty hard and pretty immediately.
Yup

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't see how NFL could operate in a bubble.  One game per week, 4 practices.  Each team really needs to go home and practice.  I don't see how all the teams could practice all week on separate fields in however number of bubbles they might have.  The other sports just kind of work out on the field/court/ice before the game or whatever.  MLB doesn't ever practice as a team.  Much easier to manage.

It will be hard to pull off any of these seasons, that is becoming clear.  NBA and NHL are just trying to have playoffs in bubbles, there is a chance of that (perhaps slim though).  But MLB and NFL are trying to have seasons plus playoffs, and not in bubbles.  I don't blame them for trying but they need to be ready to pull the plug quick if things start to get ugly.

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2020, 01:34:22 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I still can't believe neither league decided to use at least 4 different bubble locations. You would substantially increase the chances of protecting the players and coaches. Also, the teams would dramatically cut down their travel costs.

I agree 100%.

In related news, Patrick Chung has opted out of the 2020 season. The Patriots D got a lot weaker today.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2020, 02:40:51 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I agree 100%.

In related news, Patrick Chung has opted out of the 2020 season. The Patriots D got a lot weaker today.

Patriots definitely getting weaker by the minute. Bubble idea doesn't really work in football though. Imagine having a place for 50+ players (not sure how many players are in a team and practice squad). It's not like you can fast track the games either since they'd need a week to recover from the previous game. The right thing to do would be to have test taken 24 hours prior to the game with results prior to the game. Also, making sure that players are following rules. Somehow it worked in soccer so it should work in football.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2020, 02:44:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Not a surprise to hear players opting out. To be honest though, I don't really care about the players opting-out, because I'm certain there'll be no NFL season anyways. I've been uncertain about a lot of things related to COVID and sports returning, but if there's one thing I am certain of, it's that there'll be no football. They already cancelled preseason.

Sure, the NFL will of course say there'll be a season and try, but to date there isn't even any sort of plan to get the season going, and we're a few days away from August already. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not a surprise to hear players opting out. To be honest though, I don't really care about the players opting-out, because I'm certain there'll be no NFL season anyways. I've been uncertain about a lot of things related to COVID and sports returning, but if there's one thing I am certain of, it's that there'll be no football. They already cancelled preseason.

Sure, the NFL will of course say there'll be a season and try, but to date there isn't even any sort of plan to get the season going, and we're a few days away from August already.

Usually the season is 17 weeks for 16 games. The nfl especialky this year, typically makes the majority of its money from tv broadcasts. Additionally, a lot if people will watch an early and late game plus the sunday night game even if their team isnt playing, hence the big tv money.

It would make sense to me to play 8 games over 17 weeks, with 2 weeks in between for players to quarantine with family and be tested after a game but before resuming practice at least once. You could easily stagger it so that half the league is still playing on amy given sunday. Instead of the traditional bye week, since the default would be two weeks in between, once in a while you’d have a 3 week break which would allow teams that were on different sundays to synchronize and play each other. You could then extend the playoffs slightly to allow 2 weeks in between. Sure, it would be a weird season, but it seems mich more manageable and much less likely to lead to full outbreak related cancellation of the full season and you would still have some games on every sunday plus a playoffs and superbowl for revenue.

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2020, 05:52:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I agree 100%.

I’m not too concerned about the loss of Chung really. I think he was being pushed out the door anyway.

Start Dugger!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

The NBA re-start has been fantastic so far. Excellent competition, great games, very good vibes, and it's looking like we're going to have some epic playoff matchups. I think the problem from what you watched early on is that it was a scrimmage. All scrimmages are disappointing.

In comparison, MLB is a mess with cancelled games and quarantined players all over the place from covid-19, and the NFL looks like it will be even worse.

8 Patriots players opted out already:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/us/donta-hightower-patriots-opt-out-coronavirus-spt-trnd/index.html

66 NFL players in total have opted out so far:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/nfl-football-future-spt-trnd/index.html

The NFL recently decided against a bubble, which was a big mistake. That would have salvaged their season imo.

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

The NBA re-start has been fantastic so far. Excellent competition, great games, very good vibes, and it's looking like we're going to have some epic playoff matchups. I think the problem from what you watched early on is that it was a scrimmage. All scrimmages are disappointing.

In comparison, MLB is a mess with cancelled games and quarantined players all over the place from covid-19, and the NFL looks like it will be even worse.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/us/donta-hightower-patriots-opt-out-coronavirus-spt-trnd/index.html

The NFL recently decided against a bubble, which was a big mistake. That would have salvaged their season imo.

I didn't want the NBA to start back up.  But I'm with you -- very pleasantly surprised at how well this is going.  I agree with Kraidstar that this season is an asterisk season -- it's just different, but games have been pretty enjoyable and agree that the playoffs will be exciting. Just hope LAL loses.

I really think the NFL needs to sit this one out.

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2020, 03:33:28 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I didn't want the NBA to start back up.  But I'm with you -- very pleasantly surprised at how well this is going.  I agree with Kraidstar that this season is an asterisk season -- it's just different, but games have been pretty enjoyable and agree that the playoffs will be exciting. Just hope LAL loses.

Not that I want the Lakers to win the title, but in a way, it would be appropriate for them to win it this year—it would give them another questionable title to go with those 5 that they stole from Minneapolis, LOL. And would certainly give Lakers fans and Cs fans something else to argue about.

That said, I hope they DON'T win it. And for any team besides the Lakers (and Cs) that DOES win it this year, I might feel just a little bad, because many people will never view the title as legitimate (even though each team's fans would view it as legit if their team won!).

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Not that I want the Lakers to win the title, but in a way, it would be appropriate for them to win it this year—it would give them another questionable title to go with those 5 that they stole from Minneapolis, LOL. And would certainly give Lakers fans and Cs fans something else to argue about.

That said, I hope they DON'T win it. And for any team besides the Lakers (and Cs) that DOES win it this year, I might feel just a little bad, because many people will never view the title as legitimate (even though each team's fans would view it as legit if their team won!).

I don't buy this illegitimate argument. The teams end up playing pretty close to a full regular season. The games in the re-start are even harder as there are no bad teams in the schedule.

The playoffs will be a full playoff schedule. Any team that ends up winning it will have fully earned it, and it can be argued that they overcame more than most teams need to in a 'regular' year. Nobody looks at the Spurs title in the lockout season as illegitimate.

**My only caveat to saying this year's winner will be legitimate is the usual caveat, the officials !