Author Topic: Sources: “Golden State has been preparing for years to pursue Antetokounmpo”  (Read 7265 times)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The way Giannis picked his all-star team and the way he carries himself seems like he doesn't want to join Lebron or be a new Durant for the Warriors. He wants to forge his own path.

That doesn't mean he won't leave. I mean, this team is a few bad games in the playoffs and a key injury from being a truly terrible supporting cast. Right now, they are more than the sum of their parts, but I don't think that holds out forever.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don't see him joining the Lakers with Lebron there , kinda like Kawhi ,  Giannis is more his own man and not wanting to play second fiddle and under shawdow of Lebron s ever present demanding thumb  to rule the team from GM on down.  I expect he ll give the bucks ONE new contract and see how that goes down.   

If Lebron fades enough ,  it might be enough to put the Bucks over the faker town .

Kawhi , PG.  Giannis and Tatum have time on their side .   Lebron does not .  If Lebron looks finished , perhaps AD leaves to join the Bucks . 

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I don't see him joining the Lakers with Lebron there , kinda like Kawhi ,  Giannis is more his own man and not wanting to play second fiddle and under shawdow of Lebron s ever present demanding thumb  to rule the team from GM on down.  I expect he ll give the bucks ONE new contract and see how that goes down.   

If Lebron fades enough ,  it might be enough to put the Bucks over the faker town .

Kawhi , PG.  Giannis and Tatum have time on their side .   Lebron does not .  If Lebron looks finished , perhaps AD leaves to join the Bucks .

AD going to Milwaukee will be a roadblock for the Celtics.

But, I rather Giannis stay in the East than go to the Lakers. Don't want them winning anymore banners before us.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

The Warriors' best chance of acquiring Antetokounmpo would likely come through a trade.

i've read a rumor/idea bout 3 first round picks + wiggins + extras ......

i think almost every team can offer something better.... Wiggins by himself is a reason not to accept this offer !
Exactly. Wiggins, 3 x #30 picks, and some poor prospects. Eric Paschall is their best draft piece, lol.

Complete non-story from a GSW beat writer, with no actual basis.
They are the worst team in the league so they at worst will have the 5th pick in the draft.  It was also Minnesota's 2021 pick (top 3 protected) and the 2022 Warriors pick (which would be bad in that scenario).   Not a good enough package even if GS has the 1st pick in the draft, but not three 30 picks either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
We shall see how it plays out
Banner 18 please 😍

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

The Warriors' best chance of acquiring Antetokounmpo would likely come through a trade.

i think almost every team can offer something better.... Wiggins by himself is a reason not to accept this offer !
Exactly. Wiggins, 3 x #30 picks, and some poor prospects. Eric Paschall is their best draft piece, lol.

They are the worst team in the league so they at worst will have the 5th pick in the draft.  It was also Minnesota's 2021 pick (top 3 protected) and the 2022 Warriors pick (which would be bad in that scenario).   Not a good enough package even if GS has the 1st pick in the draft, but not three 30 picks either.

If their own pick plays for GS next season and quickly becomes a stud, that changes the calculus dramatically. If the Bucks knew they were getting a budding star back + the Minny pick things look a lot more tantalizing. 

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

If their own pick plays for GS next season and quickly becomes a stud, that changes the calculus dramatically. If the Bucks knew they were getting a budding star back + the Minny pick things look a lot more tantalizing.

Future picks... Reminds me watching two years in a row teams over achieving and the celtics getting the finger instead of a high pick
Anyway still is not that much for a league mvp and dpoy candidate considering what thunder and pelicans got. The celtics can offer much better package

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The Bucks aren't trading Giannis. If Giannis goes anywhere it will be his decision.

The only "trade" the Bucks would make involving Giannis is a sign and trade where Giannis told them he was signing/wanted to play elsewhere.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Future picks... Reminds me watching two years in a row teams over achieving and the celtics getting the finger instead of a high pick
Anyway still is not that much for a league mvp and dpoy candidate considering what thunder and pelicans got. The celtics can offer much better package

I get what you're saying...but we are in no position to complain about how our trades for picks have worked out, in the big picture.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Bucks will make Greek Freak the highest paid player ever
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Bucks will make Greek Freak the highest paid player ever

This is probably how it will play out.  But I do wonder if he'll actually sign for the full 5 year 35% max.  He wouldn't be a free agent again until he's 31.  Does he really want to give himself little way out if Milwaukee proves to be unable to add the additional pieces they need to get over the top?

A lot of these guys still look at what happened to KG in Minnesota and don't want that to happen to them.

There also the added factor that signing a mega deal this off-season or next might come at a significant devaluation of contract value if the salary cap tanks in the short-term.

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
He will be regarded as a god on Milwaukee... He ain't going anywhere as its important for him to have some legacy as well.

Going to GS to play 1c to Steph and Klayis a Durant move and look at how that ended up KDs

Bucks will be competitive and Giannis is going to have a grip on the East for the long haul.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I believe the Bucks may have won it all this season if the virus didn’t come along.. they had a pretty good team and their record show it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

The prize of the package is the 2020 draft pick, which if they don't play another regular season game will be no lower than 5th and most likely top 3.  The Minnesota pick will probably be in the 10-20 range and the other GS pick would most likely be from 25-30.  That is obviously not good enough for Giannis, even with him entering his final season.  I mean you'd have to at least start at what the Pelicans got for Davis i.e. the 4th pick, two recent #2 picks (Ingram, Ball), another decent young player (Hart), a very recent late 1st round type player (Wagner), two future first round picks, another picks swap, a 2nd rounder, cash, and some expiring filler.  Even if the GS picks is #1, that package just isn't enough, especially when comparing it to the Davis trade (which would be a similar situation).  And quite simply GS can't sweeten the pot much more than that because they just don't have the young players or draft capital to do so.  Now if they were to send Green to a 3rd team and got assets, that might work, though I'd think they'd want Green to pair with Giannis.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Giannis seems to be in a pretty good place.  Reasons to want to leave?  The Bucks can't win; best record in the league this year so I guess they can put a team around him.  Wants brighter lights?  Doesn't seem like the type and these days, athletes can transcend geography.  They don't need to be in NY or LA to be big stars.  Too cold?  Well, there is always that.

As to trading Tatum in some package for him if for some reason they wanted to trade him?  In a second.  Tatum is great but our team would be far better with Giannis; more balanced in particular, we would have a big to go with all our wings.  Just like I would have traded Tatum for Davis.