Author Topic: Silver update to Players  (Read 12464 times)

Re: Silver update to Players
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2020, 11:11:21 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I don't know if it's in the thread, but Keith Smith wrote a great option for holding at Disney:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-walt-disney-world-would-be-the-ideal-spot-for-the-nba-to-salvage-its-season-142557713.html
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I don't know if it's in the thread, but Keith Smith wrote a great option for holding at Disney:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-walt-disney-world-would-be-the-ideal-spot-for-the-nba-to-salvage-its-season-142557713.html

Something I haven't seen mentioned, and maybe this is just pie in the sky thinking by me, but wouldn't Disney also have the ability to accommodate the players' families?

I know one of the objections raised by some here for restarting the season in an isolated place was the players wouldn't want to be away from their families for so long.

With 5,000+ hotel rooms available, I would think you could easily handle the entire NBA and support staff and their families, the production staff, and the Disney staff to make it all work, while keeping them all isolated from the outside world.  Like a cruise ship that just doesn't dock for 2 months.  You know Gordon Hayward's kids would love to hang out with Disney princesses all day.

Maybe the logistics of all that are too crazy, but I've always been a little more optimistic about the whole thing than some here.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2020, 02:11:59 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Something I haven't seen mentioned, and maybe this is just pie in the sky thinking by me, but wouldn't Disney also have the ability to accommodate the players' families?

I know one of the objections raised by some here for restarting the season in an isolated place was the players wouldn't want to be away from their families for so long.

With 5,000+ hotel rooms available, I would think you could easily handle the entire NBA and support staff and their families, the production staff, and the Disney staff to make it all work, while keeping them all isolated from the outside world.  Like a cruise ship that just doesn't dock for 2 months.  You know Gordon Hayward's kids would love to hang out with Disney princesses all day.

Maybe the logistics of all that are too crazy, but I've always been a little more optimistic about the whole thing than some here.

There were rumors that this could happen (as well as in the Las Vegas location). The last I heard was that those plans fell apart, but then the following day there was a more optimistic report about the league returning, so I don't know what the prominent plans are now. I do think wherever it is, they would intend to have a 'campus' for families etc.

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
When is it realistically plausible that the testing capacity of the country would be such that the NBA could test all the people involved on a daily basis without placing an undue strain on the overall testing supply?

Feels like we're a long way off from that.

Don't quote me but I believe they roll out about enough to test about .5% of the total population per week now.
US population is about 330 million.  that'd be 1.65 mill per week.  they're still a long way off.   even at .5% of the population, that'd take 200 weeks to get to everyone.

Yep, that looks to be the current pace.

Update: It looks like the current pace is now 400k tests per day, so about 2.8 million per week. I'm not sure how quickly the pace of testing will continue to rise.