Author Topic: Silver update to Players  (Read 12463 times)

Re: Silver update to Players
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
They're gonna have to do daily covid-19 testing each day before they play
this may not be the panacea we hope it will be. if a false negative comes up on a test and a player infects everyone else on the team....what then?

Also, the testing right now has difficulty detecting COVID-19 during its very early stages.

I have read a wide range of estimates on the accuracy of testing that the depend upon the test itself, the person being tested, the stage of the virus, and more. testing is good, but not remotely fool proof.

so, what happens if (when?) 3, 4, 6, or 10 players on a team comes down with the virus?

i am saying here that the process of bringing back players may be a lot more complicated than the NBA is indicating right now.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 05:47:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
this may not be the panacea we hope it will be. if a false negative comes up on a test and a player infects everyone else on the team....what then?

Also, the testing right now has difficulty detecting COVID-19 during its very early stages.

I have read a wide range of estimates on the accuracy of testing that the depend upon the test itself, the person being tested, the stage of the virus, and more. testing is good, but not remotely fool proof.

so, what happens if (when?) 3, 4, 6, or 10 players on a team comes down with the virus?

i am saying here that the process of bringing back players may be a lot more complicated than the NBA is indicating right now.

From what we know of the virus, which is a lot more than we knew back when the NBA shut down, it is highly unlikely that any NBA player would suffer life threatening symptoms. They are all young, pro athletes with no obesity, cardiovascular disease, or diabetes (assuming no diabetes for the vast majority if not all of them). They will very likely be ok.

I'm sure all players , coaches and refs will be instructed to distance themselves from friends and family members until a few weeks after they finish play for the season.

The people who will be most at risk are the older coaches and refs. They could go strictly with younger refs, but you can't expect teams with older coaches to go ahead without their head coach. 

I would imagine if it starts spreading between players, it will reach a point of urgency around the time they get to the Conference or NBA Finals. Then they may hope for the best that the remaining 2-4 teams are not impacted much.

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 06:29:58 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

From what we know of the virus, which is a lot more than we knew back when the NBA shut down, it is highly unlikely that any NBA player would suffer life threatening symptoms. They are all young, pro athletes with no obesity, cardiovascular disease, or diabetes (assuming no diabetes for the vast majority if not all of them). They will very likely be ok.

I'm sure all players , coaches and refs will be instructed to distance themselves from friends and family members until a few weeks after they finish play for the season.

The people who will be most at risk are the older coaches and refs. They could go strictly with younger refs, but you can't expect teams with older coaches to go ahead without their head coach. 

I would imagine if it starts spreading between players, it will reach a point of urgency around the time they get to the Conference or NBA Finals. Then they may hope for the best that the remaining 2-4 teams are not impacted much.

I keep hearing experts say that although we know more than we did in March, there is much unknown about Covid and it keeps throwing wrenches -- including what existing conditions increase the risk of complications.  But of some of the things we do know - high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma - I guarantee some NBA players have these conditions. There also always a few overweight players (Glenn Davis and Jared Sullinger come to mind) who would add that risk factor.  Additionally, there are likely other hidden conditions that players aren't even aware they have.

They should be thinking about maybe being back in October which is only 5 months from now for 20-21 -- and that could be premature even then.

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 06:49:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I keep hearing experts say that although we know more than we did in March, there is much unknown about Covid and it keeps throwing wrenches -- including what existing conditions increase the risk of complications.  But of some of the things we do know - high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma - I guarantee some NBA players have these conditions. There also always a few overweight players (Glenn Davis and Jared Sullinger come to mind) who would add that risk factor.  Additionally, there are likely other hidden conditions that players aren't even aware they have.

They should be thinking about maybe being back in October which is only 5 months from now for 20-21 -- and that could be premature even then.

I agree.  It was only weeks ago that we thought children were extraordinarily unlikely to die.  Now, we’re seeing Covid-related / Covid-adjacent syndromes killing kids in NY.

Yes, it’s billions of dollars, but scrap the season and get ready for next year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 06:55:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

There are never going to be any guarantees until there is a proven vaccine. That's not going to happen until this winter at best. Realistically, unless you are in what have already been identified as high-risk populations, people have to go back to work at some point, and that includes pro athletes.

If your going to open anything up, pro athletes represent one of, if not the population with the lowest risk of mortality from this virus. They are all young and in great shape. Sure, some are not as fit as Lebron or Giannis, but even guys like Glenn Davis when they were playing were much more fit than the general population. And I am very confident that NBA players don't have high blood pressure while they are still active players. Also, the rates of diabetes and asthma are much, much lower in pro athletes than in the general population.

On top of that, they have the money and resources for everyday testing, and to create a workplace where they are isolated from anyone that does not test negative to enter.  They are an ideal place to test out re-opening strategies imo. Sure, they would have to isolate from loved ones for a while until the season ends, but there's not much left of the season anyway.

And, things are not going to be any better this fall or winter. Not until a vaccine is available for everyone. It's the coaches and refs I'm worried about. The players will be fine.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 06:57:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I agree.  It was only weeks ago that we thought children were extraordinarily unlikely to die.  Now, we’re seeing Covid-related / Covid-adjacent syndromes killing kids in NY.

Yes, it’s billions of dollars, but scrap the season and get ready for next year.

So are you against the governments across the US opening up businesses? Because I am sure the NBA is much better positioned to handle re-opening than virtually every other business that requires in person interactions at the moment.

I think its obvious that states are opening up way too early, and people have thrown caution to the wind across the US. There's going to be a large second wave this summer imo. BUT, if anyone can manage reopening safely in a contained environment with proper testing, it's the NBA. They are positioned to set an example of how its done.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:03:16 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 07:07:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So are you against the governments across the US opening up businesses? Because I am sure the NBA is much better positioned to handle re-opening than virtually every other business that requires in person interactions at the moment.

I think its obvious that states are opening up way too early, and people have thrown caution to the wind across the US. There's going to be a large second wave this summer imo. BUT, if anyone can manage reopening safely in a contained environment with proper testing, it's the NBA. They are positioned to set an example of how its done.

At the same time, the NBA is at about the very bottom in terms of essential businesses.  Opening up just takes resources away from others that need them.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 07:12:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

At the same time, the NBA is at about the very bottom in terms of essential businesses.  Opening up just takes resources away from others that need them.

Neither are hair salons, ice cream parlors, bowling alleys, etc. but they are all opening across the country anyway.

Also, they are not taking away any resources if they follow their proposed plan. They will generate more resources for everyone. They propose to donate a certain number of tests to the general public for every test they use themselves. They are also able to serve as role models for how to safely and properly reopen. The NBA leadership is very smart and very in-tune with health and safety issues as well as public perception. I think Silver and co. see this as an opportunity to lead the way by example for the rest of the US, which is all opening regardless.

Btw, you failed to answer my question of whether you are against business reopening across the US then? Should hair dressers, bowling alleys, etc , who have no expertise or resources to maintain safety reopen, but the NBA which is much more capable of establishing and executing safety procedures stay closed?

Don't forget that NBA remaining closed does not affect only the wealthy NBA players and owners. There are a lot of employees associated with each organization who are not wealthy that will suffer significantly from the league staying closed.

For example: 

''With no clear indication of when our businesses can fully reopen, we have made the difficult yet necessary decision to furlough a portion of our employees,'' Jim Olsen, the organization's president, said in a statement. The furloughs affect Jazz employees, workers at the team's arena, a chain of movie theatres and the Los Angeles Angels' minor league baseball affiliate in Salt Lake."

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-teams-start-reopen-testing-plan-begins-emerging-221058807--nba.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 07:37:12 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 11:21:16 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I had tickets to the Celtics/Heat. I cant get my $ back because the game is postponed not canceled.

It's so stupid!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
IF....just one player gets sicks and kills his parents , aunt , uncle or grandparents ...over stupid basketball  >:(.... then Silver and Lebron ( dying returning at all cost for HIS own legacy )   selfish Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. , will have to live with consequences.

These are poor choices that will reflect badly in the long run.   

What is wrong with waiting for a vaccine ? Indoor major Sports is last thing people should be worried about .  I could see using social distancing in a major ball field , with every special seating , and drastically reduced attendance allowed.  Still being smart and waiting for a vaccine is the correct choice .

Imo Silver had a chance to ride this out as being the prescient one - the first to call for stoppage, clearly ahead of where the country was at that moment in time.   Now he’s scrounging for table scraps while putting players, coaches, and whoever else they’ll be sweating profusely near at completely unnecessary risk. 

And Shaq is correct - one traceable case to the NBA reopening would look bad and probably isn’t what anyone wants.   If the Lakers weren’t in the thick of this, would a return even be under consideration?

I agree that some information is flying out there every day and that's confusing. But the overall track of the pandemic and how to deal with it is much simpler.

Does anyone else find it odd that only a handful of nba players tested positive? Given the effective transmission of the virus and that these players travel together, share locker rooms together, sit on the bench together and play a physical, close proximity game to each other while breathing heavily, I would expect more infections. One possibility is that many more players have already tested positive than we were told.

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

We should get away from using the term 'essential'. If we really want to be utilitarian about this (which is the aim of acknowledging the idea of 'essential' businesses) than we should identify risk vs. reward in all businesses, not just deem some more essential than others. In the real world, there is no such thing as non-essential since every business is essential to someone and businesses as a whole are essential to society.

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 10:33:50 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I had tickets to the Celtics/Heat. I cant get my $ back because the game is postponed not canceled.

It's so stupid!

Yeah that's absurd. Particularly since if/when games resume, there will be no fans allowed anyway

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 10:34:41 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
IF....just one player gets sicks and kills his parents , aunt , uncle or grandparents ...over stupid basketball  >:(.... then Silver and Lebron ( dying returning at all cost for HIS own legacy )   selfish Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. , will have to live with consequences.

These are poor choices that will reflect badly in the long run.   

What is wrong with waiting for a vaccine ? Indoor major Sports is last thing people should be worried about .  I could see using social distancing in a major ball field , with every special seating , and drastically reduced attendance allowed.  Still being smart and waiting for a vaccine is the correct choice .

Imo Silver had a chance to ride this out as being the prescient one - the first to call for stoppage, clearly ahead of where the country was at that moment in time.   Now he’s scrounging for table scraps while putting players, coaches, and whoever else they’ll be sweating profusely near at completely unnecessary risk. 

And Shaq is correct - one traceable case to the NBA reopening would look bad and probably isn’t what anyone wants.   If the Lakers weren’t in the thick of this, would a return even be under consideration?

I agree that some information is flying out there every day and that's confusing. But the overall track of the pandemic and how to deal with it is much simpler.

Does anyone else find it odd that only a handful of nba players tested positive? Given the effective transmission of the virus and that these players travel together, share locker rooms together, sit on the bench together and play a physical, close proximity game to each other while breathing heavily, I would expect more infections. One possibility is that many more players have already tested positive than we were told.

There was a report a while back that a lot more players did test positive but chose not to disclose their information.

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Neither are hair salons, ice cream parlors, bowling alleys, etc. but they are all opening across the country anyway.

Also, they are not taking away any resources if they follow their proposed plan. They will generate more resources for everyone. They propose to donate a certain number of tests to the general public for every test they use themselves. They are also able to serve as role models for how to safely and properly reopen. The NBA leadership is very smart and very in-tune with health and safety issues as well as public perception. I think Silver and co. see this as an opportunity to lead the way by example for the rest of the US, which is all opening regardless.

Btw, you failed to answer my question of whether you are against business reopening across the US then? Should hair dressers, bowling alleys, etc , who have no expertise or resources to maintain safety reopen, but the NBA which is much more capable of establishing and executing safety procedures stay closed?

Don't forget that NBA remaining closed does not affect only the wealthy NBA players and owners. There are a lot of employees associated with each organization who are not wealthy that will suffer significantly from the league staying closed.

For example: 

''With no clear indication of when our businesses can fully reopen, we have made the difficult yet necessary decision to furlough a portion of our employees,'' Jim Olsen, the organization's president, said in a statement. The furloughs affect Jazz employees, workers at the team's arena, a chain of movie theatres and the Los Angeles Angels' minor league baseball affiliate in Salt Lake."

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-teams-start-reopen-testing-plan-begins-emerging-221058807--nba.html

It's been mentioned, but in response to the bolded part, the NBA resuming this season will have almost no effect on the stadium employees. If all of the games are to take place in Vegas or WDW, those employees will still remain out of work. I suppose teams could make deals with the employees to pay them a percentage of the profits, but they will probably make more money being furloughed (with the bonus $600/wk) and it's not like there is going to be a great profit margin anyway. It seems to me, the only reason for resuming this season is to recoup some of the epic losses team are currently sustaining.

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

For example: 

It's been mentioned, but in response to the bolded part, the NBA resuming this season will have almost no effect on the stadium employees. If all of the games are to take place in Vegas or WDW, those employees will still remain out of work. I suppose teams could make deals with the employees to pay them a percentage of the profits, but they will probably make more money being furloughed (with the bonus $600/wk) and it's not like there is going to be a great profit margin anyway. It seems to me, the only reason for resuming this season is to recoup some of the epic losses team are currently sustaining.

Remember back when we thought Darryl Morey was going to be the biggest negative impact on the league's financially outlook? Those were the days.