Author Topic: Silver update to Players  (Read 12470 times)

Silver update to Players
« on: May 08, 2020, 07:22:03 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Per Shams:

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Sources: Commissioner Adam Silver told NBA players on call Friday:

- If season resumes, no fans expected
- 40% of league revenue comes from fans
- Season decision can go into June
- Until coronavirus vaccine, there is risk; will be living with the virus for foreseeable future

If/when it is able for NBA to return, Adam Silver told players it’s safer in 1-to-2 locations — such as Disney World Orlando/Las Vegas — than flying around to cities and facilities, sources said

Sources: On the ever-elusive question -- What if a player tests positive upon return -- Adam Silver told players the NBA would hope for daily testing at that point and no stoppage of play, having the player(s) isolated in quarantine.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:31:54 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Silver update to Players
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 08:40:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I don't really think the players are going to feel safe. CJ Mcollum mentioned this in an interview yesterday. Do people want it to come back in like three weeks?

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:33:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
They're gonna have to do daily covid-19 testing each day before they play

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 03:19:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't really think the players are going to feel safe. CJ Mcollum mentioned this in an interview yesterday. Do people want it to come back in like three weeks?
Especially players that have been touched by it - KAT comes to mind
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 06:47:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I thought gate receipts were less than 30% of NBA's revenue.

That 40% number feels high.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 07:41:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
IF....just one player gets sicks and kills his parents , aunt , uncle or grandparents ...over stupid basketball  >:(.... then Silver and Lebron ( dying returning at all cost for HIS own legacy )   selfish Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. , will have to live with consequences.

These are poor choices that will reflect badly in the long run.   

What is wrong with waiting for a vaccine ? Indoor major Sports is last thing people should be worried about .  I could see using social distancing in a major ball field , with every special seating , and drastically reduced attendance allowed.  Still being smart and waiting for a vaccine is the correct choice .

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:50:35 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, credit to them for trying, but I have my doubts these ideas would work.

For one, I believe some analysts have mentioned that in order to conduct daily testing on all players and also staff members who are close with the team, they'd need at least 10,000-15,000 tests per day. I don't even think there are many states testing more than 7,500 per day in healthcare networks, etc. So would they prioritize NBA players/staff over hospitals and other medical facilities? Good luck dealing with that outcry.

And two, what happens if someone like Giannis or Lebron end up testing positive and then isolate. How on earth is that fair for teams if their superstar players are unavailable while they are for other teams? Oh, and this isn't like if they find one player that tests positive, then they can automatically assume they're "on top" of the situation and that everyone else is fine. Nope, it'll likely spread.

Another thing I realized is, if you're on a bad team that's not making the playoffs anyways, then would you really want to return and put yourselves or even your families at risk?? I honestly doubt it. The primary folks pushing for a season resumption are those teams in the playoffs.

It's the daily testing + still playing if one player comes down positive parts that really perplexes me though. Gobert tested positive, then the NBA suspended the season, and we found out Mitchell was positive and then quite a few other players/staff of teams who had played the Jazz fairly recently tested positive and/or came down sick later on. Doesn't take a genius to realize that could happen again...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
IF....just one player gets sicks and kills his parents , aunt , uncle or grandparents ...over stupid basketball  >:(.... then Silver and Lebron ( dying returning at all cost for HIS own legacy )   selfish Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. , will have to live with consequences.

What is wrong with waiting for a vaccine ? Indoor major Sports is last thing people should be worried about .  I could see using social distancing in a major ball field , with every special seating , and drastically reduced attendance allowed.  Still being smart and waiting for a vaccine is the correct choice .

Imo Silver had a chance to ride this out as being the prescient one - the first to call for stoppage, clearly ahead of where the country was at that moment in time.   Now he’s scrounging for table scraps while putting players, coaches, and whoever else they’ll be sweating profusely near at completely unnecessary risk. 

And Shaq is correct - one traceable case to the NBA reopening would look bad and probably isn’t what anyone wants.   If the Lakers weren’t in the thick of this, would a return even be under consideration?

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 09:27:50 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Imo Silver had a chance to ride this out as being the prescient one - the first to call for stoppage, clearly ahead of where the country was at that moment in time.   Now he’s scrounging for table scraps while putting players, coaches, and whoever else they’ll be sweating profusely near at completely unnecessary risk. 

And Shaq is correct - one traceable case to the NBA reopening would look bad and probably isn’t what anyone wants.   If the Lakers weren’t in the thick of this, would a return even be under consideration?

Or Silver continues to be ahead of most others. We're not operating on the same info we were in mid-March.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 04:56:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It feels to me like there is a safe way to do this. As mentioned, having everything in one or two locations, which is actually feasible right now, and making sure everyone is tested means the league could have a pretty high level of control.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Or Silver continues to be ahead of most others. We're not operating on the same info we were in mid-March.

Could be -- but I don't know what info that would be.  This virus seems to be confusing a lot of people and new complications are arising with some frequency.  They are unsure about the specifics of transmission/contagion, unsure about changes in the virus itself, unsure about duration of contagion, unsure about long-term complications.  There is no effective treatment to date and my understanding is that the effectiveness of testing is variable.   If some of the tests are still at 15% false negative, as Sanjay Gupta seems to be saying continuously, is Silver going to be OK with knowing that 15% of the players tested every day could be false negative?   Seems risky to me. And, who benefits?  Is the entertainment value there if you aren't a Lakers fan?   I don't need to see the C's play 5-10 more games, lose to Milwaukee (or whoever) and then suffer through watching LAL win banner 17.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 07:22:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
If Disney World remains closed, then the single location of Disney in Orlando for all games is ideal. It would greatly reduce the risk of infections.

I don't know about having games in Las Vegas though. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if just a handful of players go out into the city at any establishments that may be open there.

Regarding revenue loss due to no fans, considering the lack of live pro sports on TV right now, I would think they can come up with creative ways to boost the TV and marketing revenue to partially make up for the loss from ticket sales.  Cutting down travel expenses from playing all games in the same place should also help.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:30:15 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 09:19:39 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Silvers job #1   satisfy the LA big market by handing Lebron another championship .   ASAP

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Silvers job #1   satisfy the LA big market by handing Lebron another championship .   ASAP

Well, if anything, the 'do it for Kobe!' movement for the Lakers has definitely lost some steam after covid-19

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 01:54:54 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Well, if anything, the 'do it for Kobe!' movement for the Lakers has definitely lost some steam after covid-19

If there was a big of a chance they'd win the championship, this is the only season. I hope Silver doesn't resume the season, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)