Poll

Which was the best big 3 in NBA history?

Cousy - Heinsohn* - Russell
7 (14%)
Jerry West - Elgin Baylor - Wilt
4 (8%)
Bird - McHale - Parish
21 (42%)
Magic - Worthy - Kareem
8 (16%)
Jordan - Pippen - Rodman
5 (10%)
Parker - Manu - Duncan
1 (2%)
Allen - Pierce - Garnett
1 (2%)
Wade - LeBron - Bosh
0 (0%)
Steph - Klay - Durant
3 (6%)
other (please name below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Poll: Best big 3 in NBA history  (Read 7232 times)

Poll: Best big 3 in NBA history
« on: April 24, 2020, 09:11:18 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Which was the best big 3 in NBA history?

Honorable mentions

Walt Frazier - Willis Reed - Dave DeBusschere: Won 2 championships in the early '70s. Probably one of the most underrated trios ever.

Oscar Robertson - Bob Dandridge - Kareem (at the time Lew Alcindor): Oscar was 32 years old when they won the championship. Him and Kareem are legit GOAT candidates. Dandridge was nowhere near that level.

Dr J - Barkley - Moses: Played together for only 1 year. Lost to the C's in the ECF.

Isiah - Dumars - Laimbeer: With all due respect, the C's and the Lakers had better big 3s, at least imo.

Kobe - Shaq - whomever (probably Fisher) : Shaq and Kobe were amazing. The rest of the players were nowhere near the same level. 

Westbrook - Harden - Durant: Harden got traded way too soon.

Kyrie - LeBron - Love: Opted for the Miami big 3 instead.

*Could have included Hondo or Sam Jones over Tommy. Didn't include Hondo cause he wasn't around for the first 5 championships. Opted for Tommy over Sam Jones, cause I believe he was the better player during the Cousy era (at least from what I've read). In any case, the C's were loaded with HOFers at the time. Feel free to choose whomever 3 guys you want.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:12:23 PM by Jvalin »

Re: Poll: Best big 3 in NBA history
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
to be honest, I think the legit candidates end with the first 4 you've listed and could even make the argument that it's really only the top 2 that should be in the discussion.

based on winning, I'd go with the first trio.  based on individual talent, I'd probably go with the second trio.  since I think winning matters, it's Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49:07 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Wilt, West, and Baylor didn't even win a title as Baylor retired early in the season they won.  That also wasn't Wilt's best team, that would be the 67 Sixers with Greer, Cunningham, and Walker. 

I really think the Kareem, Oscar, Dandridge team should be listed and not just an honorable mention.  Kareem was at his absolute best earlier in his career.  Oscar was older, but still just 32 and was still a 20/8/6 player (and was a 25 point scorer the year before without Kareem taking his shots).  Dandridge was just starting out but was already very good.  The Bucks just demolished everyone in the playoffs that year going 12-2 after winning 66 games in the regular season.  Oscar started showing his age the next season and they didn't get back to a title again, but that one season was impressive.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 10:11:01 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I really think the Kareem, Oscar, Dandridge team should be listed and not just an honorable mention.  Kareem was at his absolute best earlier in his career.  Oscar was older, but still just 32 and was still a 20/8/6 player (and was a 25 point scorer the year before without Kareem taking his shots).  Dandridge was just starting out but was already very good.  The Bucks just demolished everyone in the playoffs that year going 12-2 after winning 66 games in the regular season.  Oscar started showing his age the next season and they didn't get back to a title again, but that one season was impressive.
Fair enough. Can't argue with that.

-------------------------------------------------

Opted for Magic - Worthy - Kareem.

Imo, Magic is the GOAT.
Kareem is a legit GOAT candidate.
Worthy was an amazing player. I mean, he was the Finals MVP in 1988.

Magic and Kareem won 5 championships playing together. Worthy was a member of the team for 3 of those championships.

Obviously, Bird-McHale-Parish weren't half bad either. Hate to say it, but at the end of the day, 5 > 3.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:10:40 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Fair enough. After all, they were definitely better than Kyrie - LeBron - Love (at least imo).

Imo, Magic is the GOAT.

They won 5 championships together. Would have won even more if it weren't for Bird-McHale-Parish (they weren't half bad either :P). Hate to say it, but at the end of the day, 5 > 3.

Well, technically, it'd be 3-3 since Worthy wasn't a part of the '80 or '82 squads.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 10:25:18 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Fair enough. After all, they were definitely better than Kyrie - LeBron - Love (at least imo).

Imo, Magic is the GOAT.

They won 5 championships together. Would have won even more if it weren't for Bird-McHale-Parish (they weren't half bad either :P). Hate to say it, but at the end of the day, 5 > 3.

Well, technically, it'd be 3-3 since Worthy wasn't a part of the '80 or '82 squads.
You are right, of course. Magic and Kareem won 5. The three of them won 3. I'll correct the previous post.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 10:49:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I also think Havlicek makes more sense for the C's than Heinsohn as Hondo was just flat out a better player.  I get he didn't join the team until 62-63, but he still got 6 titles with Bill (though Cousy was only on the 1st with Hondo).  Perhaps the better C's big 3 with Bill should have been Bill, Hondo, and Sam Jones.  At the end of the day though, that goes to show in part why that team was so successful.  It was just loaded with talent.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
A bit perplexed as to why the Steph-KD-Klay trio isn't getting any votes at all. You have a player who's a candidate for the title of GOAT offensive player and another perennial MVP favourite who's just a rung below those GOAT candidates on offence spearheading a trio with a perfect complementary All-NBA wing as their lackey - that trio is just insane lol.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:28:02 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 12:01:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think I'm inclined to say Magic - Worthy - Kareem.

That's two top 5 all-time players.  Granted, Kareem was mostly past his prime by the time he was playing with Magic, and definitely on the back end by the time Worthy was a major component.  Still, Magic + Kareem is tough to overcome in terms of overall talent.

Steph-Klay-Durant features far and away the best shooting of any of the trios mentioned.  Also has two MVP caliber players in their prime.  But they only won two titles together so it's hard to necessarily say it should be them.

The main reason I don't reflexively go with Jordan + Pippen + Rodman is the fact that Rodman was really not much of a scorer at all, and would mostly be relegated to playing small ball 5 in today's game. 

Pierce - Allen - KG will always be THE "Big 3" in my heart though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm going with KG-Ray-PP and here's why -

Name me another Big Three that came together over a summer and then proceeded to take the team with the worst record in the NBA the previous season to the Big Dance and the best record in the NBA the next season?

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What, no love for Pierce - Walker - Anderson???  :P

A bit perplexed as to why the Steph-KD-Klay trio isn't getting any votes at all. You have a player who's a candidate for the title of GOAT offensive player and another perennial MVP favourite who's just a rung below those GOAT candidates on offence spearheading a trio with a perfect complementary All-NBA wing as their lackey - that trio is just insane lol.

Agreed

Although the ironic thing is I bet we disagree on who is the GOAT and who is the mere MVP.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 01:14:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
What, no love for Pierce - Walker - Anderson???  :P

Agreed

Although the ironic thing is I bet we disagree on who is the GOAT and who is the mere MVP.
Oh definitely. I feel that the player who I think is an offensive GOAT candidate gets dismissed from the conversation because of the way he drives an offence as well as his frame - most players people have in that shortlist are usually 6'6 or taller with dazzling on-ball repertoires. Probably led to some crazy narratives about him not being able to cope against stingy defences and stuff as well lol. But at the end of the day it's just us valuing things differently imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 02:09:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Wow surprised no votes for the Miami Big 3 lol. Four straight NBA Finals appearances, but end up going 2-2.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Wow surprised no votes for the Miami Big 3 lol. Four straight NBA Finals appearances, but end up going 2-2.
I was surprised as well, they were another really strong trio. Think people penalise that trio for not winning in 2011 when Wade was still near the peak of his powers (they won in '12 and '13, but Wade was no longer that MVP engine).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was surprised as well, they were another really strong trio. Think people penalise that trio for not winning in 2011 when Wade was still near the peak of his powers (they won in '12 and '13, but Wade was no longer that MVP engine).

I think in comparison to some of the other "third bananas" on the list, Bosh might not necessarily be seen in the strongest light.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team