Author Topic: Report: kings want Harrison Barnes  (Read 1947 times)

Report: kings want Harrison Barnes
« on: January 17, 2019, 11:10:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/12426375

The Sacramento Kings have interest in trading for Harrison Barnes.

Barnes future with the Dallas Mavericks is uncertain. Barnes has a player option for the 19-20 season worth $25.1 million.

"I know the Kings would love to have Harrison Barnes," said Brian Windhorst on the Hoop Collective podcast. "Whether or not that can work out? I don't know."

The Kings are making a push for the playoffs and do not own their first round pick, while the Mavericks have been a free fall and a have a top-5 protected pick

Re: Report: kings want Harrison Barnes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 12:12:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man that would suck. Seeing Sacramento add an athletic 18PPG guy would be a bummer
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 12:29:37 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
What do they even have to offer?

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 12:44:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
You know, part of me wonders if Dallas is looking at the big picture here with Barnes and Dennis Smith Jr.  I gotta give Eddie20 props for pointing out to me that Kevin Durant could consider joining the Mavericks this Summer (podcast excerpt of him explaining it:  https://youtu.be/Zv8BPd0SXUg ) ... They are in a position where they can free up a ton of cap space and go after both Durant + another superstar prospect this Summer.  There's a bunch of them.  It would be rather hilarious if Durant ended up replacing Harrison Barnes on another team.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 12:45:30 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Not much but Barnes is probably going to opt out and become a free agent so no one is going to offer much for him.  They could probably get a protected 1st from some other team by taking on bad salary. 

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 12:46:10 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
There are at least 9 teams better than them in west... probably 11.. there is no meaning to sacrifice assets.. i see them challenge everyone till the all star.. then start shutting down players to avoid injuries.. they will start losing more because of lack of any goal

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
You know, part of me wonders if Dallas is looking at the big picture here with Barnes and Dennis Smith Jr.  I gotta give Eddie20 props for pointing out to me that Kevin Durant could consider joining the Mavericks this Summer (podcast excerpt of him explaining it:  https://youtu.be/Zv8BPd0SXUg ) ... They are in a position where they can free up a ton of cap space and go after both Durant + another superstar prospect this Summer.  There's a bunch of them.  It would be rather hilarious if Durant ended up replacing Harrison Barnes on another team.
They are now saying they want to work things out with Smith which probably means they didn't get any good offers.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 01:01:50 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They are now saying they want to work things out with Smith which probably means they didn't get any good offers.
Or it means they just don't want to appear desperate. 

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 06:27:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
They have a ton of expiring contracts and a number of young players (even outside of Hield, Fox, Bagley, and Bogdanovic).  Kings also have cap room so they can save a bunch of salary for the Mavs.  I mean something like Randolph and WCS works in the trade machine.  Saves the Mavs 8 million, gets them below the cap, and they get a decent youngish player in WCS.  Kings also have expiring contracts of Koufos, Shumpert, and McLemore as well as players like Giles, Labissierre, Jackson, Mason, Ferrell, and Williams.  So the trade can be expanded to include more long term salary. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Do people think that Harrison Barnes is a good move for them? I am surprised he is shooting 40% from 3 this year, but also 40% from field overall. I didn't think he was a difference maker on defense and doesn't really pass or rebound.

I guess if a team is desperate for shot creation he could help them, but I would probably rather have the shots come from Hield and Fox and not stunt their growth giving up shots to Barnes and presumably some for Bagley.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Do people think that Harrison Barnes is a good move for them? I am surprised he is shooting 40% from 3 this year, but also 40% from field overall. I didn't think he was a difference maker on defense and doesn't really pass or rebound.

I guess if a team is desperate for shot creation he could help them, but I would probably rather have the shots come from Hield and Fox and not stunt their growth giving up shots to Barnes and presumably some for Bagley.
He's not a ball hog.  He's got the same usage as Bogdonavic.  He's not going to stunt their growth.  I assume he'd replace Shumpert in the starting lineup which would be a significant upgrade.   He'd be better than anyone the Kings are likely to get in free agency if he opts into his last year.  The question is how much would they have to give up to get him besides a couple expiring contracts. 

Now if Barnes is actually on the market NOP ought to go after him unless they already know Davis is leaving.   

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 03:07:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

He spanked us pretty good when we played there this season, as I recall.