Poll

Seeding Games: Will the Grizzlies make the playoffs?

Yes
2 (12.5%)
No
14 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (#14)  (Read 94377 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (19-22, 16th pick as of 1/15)
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I can't wait for Morant to start getting super star treatment just so we can call it Ja Rules

« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Morant looks like should have gone #1

Or its close

« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2020, 12:51:46 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I can't wait for Morant to start getting super star treatment just so we can call it Ja Rules

Lol TP!

« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Or its close

Yeah this was the first game I've seen him in and he looked to me to have generational talent upside considering how young he is, how good he looks already, and the extremely rare mix of athleticism and feel for the game. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2020, 02:11:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Or its close
maybe you outta wait until Zion plays some games before making that statement.  His first one is January 22 so the wait is almost over.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2020, 02:34:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
As juicy as the top of the 2021 draft looks to be what is going to make me feel much better is if both Robert and Grant Williams turn into really solid players, and Langford is a diamond in the rough (plenty of time for that to unfold), and just maybe we get a point guard for the future in this draft (seems point guard heavy after the top prospects).
I think Waters (assuming we're able to keep him - hopefully doesn't turn out like the Kendrick Nunn situation did) can safely be our back-up PG - I'm quite high on him.
I am assuming Waters is on a one year two-way deal. That means he will be a restricted free agent with the QO being another two-way contract. He cannot be snapped up by another team like Nunn, the C's would have to choose not to match an offer.
Ah yeah, forgot about that. Seems as though we're high on him, so I can't imagine he goes anywhere.

Wanamaker might be a goner though
Well it'd be just because the Celtics chose to not match an offer. The QO for him is tiny (and the C's are over the cap anyways) and we can match anything up to 105% of the average league salary with his early bird rights.

That I don't think he's getting an offer that big. (105% of average salary is around 9.5 million) I do think Wanamaker/Waters/Carsen are going to be fighting for at most two roster spots next year. But who knows if Waters even draws a minimum contract offer, he might be stuck on another two-way until he takes a roster spot.

He will be on roster next year unless he is packaged in a trade before, which I doubt. His talent is obvious and despite his physical short comings has demonstrated ability to play in the senior circuit.
Waters has played in 5 games and a whopping total of 39 minutes spread throughout the season.  He hasn't demonstrated anything at the senior level.  And let's be clear, he hasn't exactly been lights out in those 5 games.  He is just 2 of 11 from 3 with as many turnovers as assists.  The league is littered with players that have performed far greater that end up out of the league.  Waters may end up on a roster, but that is most definitely far from a given, especially given how small he is.

I feel like some team will definitely offer Waters a real contract next year, unless all the below was just Keith Smith blowing smoke.  And due to basic roster crunch, not sure if Boston will even have room to give him a contract, especially with 3 more first round picks potentially coming in next year.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125701124796417
One last name that came up repeatedly talking to front office executives and scouts about the G-League Showcase: Tremont Waters. Water is on a Two-Way with Boston.

"He's an NBA backup PG right now. I told our GM to trade for him, because he's better than what we have today."

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125701837873152
More on Tremont Waters from another front office executive: "We'd ask, but Boston wouldn't listen. Why would they? Kid can really play. He's small, but smart. Quick enough to get his shot off. He's a playmaker. He'll be on a standard contract next year, if not later this year."

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125702605426691
Lastly on Tremont Waters from a scout: "I missed on him. Big time. Thought was too small for our league. But he's tough and fast. I don't know what he'll be beyond it, but he's an NBA backup point guard at least. And that's valuable because everyone plays three PGs a night now."
Lots of players do well in the GLeague that do well and fail miserably in the NBA.  There is absolutely no evidence to show that Waters can actually play in the league.  A few unnamed sources doesn't change that fact. 

and don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that Waters won't make it.  He absolutely could, my comment was directed at the notion that the 5 game sample demonstrated an ability to play in the NBA.  It most definitely has not.

« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Pick aside, it’s nice to see that the Hawks and Grizzlies will be fun to watch for years to come

Iso Joe era and Grit and Grind weren’t all that despite some success

Memphis could have really used another top 5 pick this season, not sure just Ja and JJJ and no more lottery picks in a smaller market will be enough

« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2020, 03:22:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know people just love and ogle over Jaren Jackson, Jr. but to me, there is something inherently wrong with someone who is 6'11" or taller that can't get more than 4.9 rebounds a game in 28 minutes and has a Reb% of just 9.2%.

And, in the games I have watched of him this year(just 3) his defense has not been good and he looked like a net negative player. Admittedly, none of the games I watched were during their current hot streak, so maybe he has turned things around. Perhaps someone that has seen his recent play can give me an update on these parts of his game.

« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2020, 03:48:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I know people just love and ogle over Jaren Jackson, Jr. but to me, there is something inherently wrong with someone who is 6'11" or taller that can't get more than 4.9 rebounds a game in 28 minutes and has a Reb% of just 9.2%.

And, in the games I have watched of him this year(just 3) his defense has not been good and he looked like a net negative player. Admittedly, none of the games I watched were during their current hot streak, so maybe he has turned things around. Perhaps someone that has seen his recent play can give me an update on these parts of his game.
He plays outside a lot doesn't he?  Similar to someone like Brook Lopez, correct (who not coincidentally has similar rebounding numbers)?  I don't think I've seen them play that much, but I know he and JV play together a fair amount and he takes a ton of 3 pointers.  And JV is a pretty solid rebounder (at least by rate).  Seems like it may be a function of style of play and teammates more than a lack of effort or something other than that.

« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2020, 03:55:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
As juicy as the top of the 2021 draft looks to be what is going to make me feel much better is if both Robert and Grant Williams turn into really solid players, and Langford is a diamond in the rough (plenty of time for that to unfold), and just maybe we get a point guard for the future in this draft (seems point guard heavy after the top prospects).
I think Waters (assuming we're able to keep him - hopefully doesn't turn out like the Kendrick Nunn situation did) can safely be our back-up PG - I'm quite high on him.
I am assuming Waters is on a one year two-way deal. That means he will be a restricted free agent with the QO being another two-way contract. He cannot be snapped up by another team like Nunn, the C's would have to choose not to match an offer.
Ah yeah, forgot about that. Seems as though we're high on him, so I can't imagine he goes anywhere.

Well it'd be just because the Celtics chose to not match an offer. The QO for him is tiny (and the C's are over the cap anyways) and we can match anything up to 105% of the average league salary with his early bird rights.

That I don't think he's getting an offer that big. (105% of average salary is around 9.5 million) I do think Wanamaker/Waters/Carsen are going to be fighting for at most two roster spots next year. But who knows if Waters even draws a minimum contract offer, he might be stuck on another two-way until he takes a roster spot.

He will be on roster next year unless he is packaged in a trade before, which I doubt. His talent is obvious and despite his physical short comings has demonstrated ability to play in the senior circuit.
Waters has played in 5 games and a whopping total of 39 minutes spread throughout the season.  He hasn't demonstrated anything at the senior level.  And let's be clear, he hasn't exactly been lights out in those 5 games.  He is just 2 of 11 from 3 with as many turnovers as assists.  The league is littered with players that have performed far greater that end up out of the league.  Waters may end up on a roster, but that is most definitely far from a given, especially given how small he is.

I repeat, he will be on the roster next season barring a trade. Dude just has "it."

I don't smoke stats. I watch them play.

10 TPs to you if he doesn't make it, and 10 to me if he does.

Deal?

« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He's just a bad rebounder. Good shot blocker and okay defender, but an awful rebounder. He doesn't get offensive boards much because of that and he's a shooter who is usually not near the hoop.

Some will point to Gasol and JV as influencing his DRB down, but even when they're not on the court he's just a bad rebounder.

Currently he's basically what people hoped Bargs or Markkanen would be. Just a knock down shooter as a big man.

« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2020, 04:10:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

He plays outside a lot doesn't he?  Similar to someone like Brook Lopez, correct (who not coincidentally has similar rebounding numbers)?  I don't think I've seen them play that much, but I know he and JV play together a fair amount and he takes a ton of 3 pointers.  And JV is a pretty solid rebounder (at least by rate).  Seems like it may be a function of style of play and teammates more than a lack of effort or something other than that.
Tatum and Brown, a SF and a SG, both who play on the perimeter and shoot bunches of threes, have better rebounding numbers. Kevin Love plays on the perimeter and plays next to very good rebounder Tristan Thompson, but still gets tons of rebounds. Porzingas plays tons on the perimeter...9+RPG. Doncic too. Heck, Russell Westbrook is a PG who plays on the perimeter and he gets over 7 rebounds a game.

Sorry, I am not buying the "play on the perimeter" excuse.

« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

He's just a bad rebounder. Good shot blocker and okay defender, but an awful rebounder. He doesn't get offensive boards much because of that and he's a shooter who is usually not near the hoop.

Some will point to Gasol and JV as influencing his DRB down, but even when they're not on the court he's just a bad rebounder.

Currently he's basically what people hoped Bargs or Markkanen would be. Just a knock down shooter as a big man.
That's what I have seen too. TP for confirming what I thought I have seen with him. Just a bad rebounder given his athleticism and size.

Just goes to show, height means little when it comes to being able to play "big".

« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

That's what I have seen too. TP for confirming what I thought I have seen with him. Just a bad rebounder given his athleticism and size.

Just goes to show, height means little when it comes to being able to play "big".
Its also not a new problem, he was the 4th best rebounder on his Michigan St team as well. He's always been weak on the boards.

I think he could eventually improve to more of a Al Horford level of "okay" rebounding but I wouldn't hold my breath.

« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2020, 05:00:57 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I feel like some team will definitely offer Waters a real contract next year, unless all the below was just Keith Smith blowing smoke.  And due to basic roster crunch, not sure if Boston will even have room to give him a contract, especially with 3 more first round picks potentially coming in next year.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125701124796417
One last name that came up repeatedly talking to front office executives and scouts about the G-League Showcase: Tremont Waters. Water is on a Two-Way with Boston.

"He's an NBA backup PG right now. I told our GM to trade for him, because he's better than what we have today."

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125701837873152
More on Tremont Waters from another front office executive: "We'd ask, but Boston wouldn't listen. Why would they? Kid can really play. He's small, but smart. Quick enough to get his shot off. He's a playmaker. He'll be on a standard contract next year, if not later this year."

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125702605426691
Lastly on Tremont Waters from a scout: "I missed on him. Big time. Thought was too small for our league. But he's tough and fast. I don't know what he'll be beyond it, but he's an NBA backup point guard at least. And that's valuable because everyone plays three PGs a night now."
Lots of players do well in the GLeague that do well and fail miserably in the NBA.  There is absolutely no evidence to show that Waters can actually play in the league.  A few unnamed sources doesn't change that fact. 

and don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that Waters won't make it.  He absolutely could, my comment was directed at the notion that the 5 game sample demonstrated an ability to play in the NBA.  It most definitely has not.

Mine was meant to be more a comment on Waters likely getting a real contract offer from some NBA team next year, as opposed to a statement about his actual ability.

Don't think the C's will be able to keep him with another Two-Way.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class