Poll

Seeding Games: Will the Grizzlies make the playoffs?

Yes
2 (12.5%)
No
14 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (#14)  (Read 94375 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (18-22, 15th pick as of 1/12)
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2020, 07:25:25 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Memphis got a future star in morant

Them jumping in the lotto really screwed us up

Absolutely. Morant is a gem and pairs well with Jackson.

And for the ppl who said Brandon Clarke can’t play in the NBA because he’s got short arms - watch a Grizzlies game and see if you still think so. He’s got really good BBIQ, and he’s both taller than Grant and much quicker off the ground. He’s got a kind of quick-release floater in the lane - goes straight up and kind of flips it. He hit it in college and he can get it off in the NBA too. Very hard to block and he has great touch - ridiculous TS of 68% on the year. And as a weak side help on D - already solid.

« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2020, 07:31:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And for the ppl who said Brandon Clarke can’t play in the NBA because he’s got short arms - watch a Grizzlies game and see if you still think so. He’s got really good BBIQ, and he’s both taller than Grant and much quicker off the ground. He’s got a kind of quick-release floater in the lane - goes straight up and kind of flips it. He hit it in college and he can get it off in the NBA too. Very hard to block and he has great touch - ridiculous TS of 68% on the year. And as a weak side help on D - already solid.
Were people really saying that about Clarke? I can't remember.

He's definitely solid. I didn't want us to take him because I thought there were guys with higher potential than him (I don't know how much more he'll develop, he's a month older than JB) like Doumbouya and NWA, but he's definitely an NBA caliber guy. I think he'll always be a solid role-player who can start in a pinch.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2020, 07:43:05 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Were people really saying that about Clarke? I can't remember.

He's definitely solid. I didn't want us to take him because I thought there were guys with higher potential than him (I don't know how much more he'll develop, he's a month older than JB) like Doumbouya and NWA, but he's definitely an NBA caliber guy. I think he'll always be a solid role-player who can start in a pinch.

There were some. He’s hard to evaluate because he’s so unusual - kind of a combo forward who played PF-C in college. But he was always a very good basketball player with freak leaping ability. He doesn’t have RWIII’s length but he has similar leaping ability and far superior court sense and touch on his shot. Net, he should be at least a dependable rotation player on a team that can go deep in the playoffs. 

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (19-22, 16th pick as of 1/15)
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2020, 07:44:55 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
Also - watching Ja drill a three in Harden’s grill and then let him hear about it was fun. Watching Harden game the system for fouls is like watching the world’s best accountant play basketball. Morant’s game is so much more appealing to watch.

« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2020, 07:54:43 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is becoming the most depressing thread since, well, the Kings' watch thread last season.

« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2020, 07:55:11 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
It is what it is...

Just hope Danny does not draft the next bust...

Grant--- good
Tremont-- ave PG but useful in maine
Edwards-- below ave right now
Tacko-- not useful right now but because of height, will be next boban.
Langford--  Bust.

:o

« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2020, 08:01:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
It is what it is...

Just hope Danny does not draft the next bust...

Grant--- good
Tremont-- ave PG but useful in maine
Edwards-- below ave right now
Tacko-- not useful right now but because of height, will be next boban.
Langford--  Bust.
Lol, Tacko, who has shown no real NBA skill, will be something, but Langford, who has a legit NBA ability to get to the rim, is a bust not halfway through his rookie season?

You're just asking for people to bring up these takes 18 months from now. Your "Hayward is Evan Turner 2.0 now" ones didn't age well either

« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2020, 08:21:06 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
As juicy as the top of the 2021 draft looks to be what is going to make me feel much better is if both Robert and Grant Williams turn into really solid players, and Langford is a diamond in the rough (plenty of time for that to unfold), and just maybe we get a point guard for the future in this draft (seems point guard heavy after the top prospects).

« Reply #233 on: January 15, 2020, 08:35:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
As juicy as the top of the 2021 draft looks to be what is going to make me feel much better is if both Robert and Grant Williams turn into really solid players, and Langford is a diamond in the rough (plenty of time for that to unfold), and just maybe we get a point guard for the future in this draft (seems point guard heavy after the top prospects).
I think Waters (assuming we're able to keep him - hopefully doesn't turn out like the Kendrick Nunn situation did) can safely be our back-up PG - I'm quite high on him.

In terms of starting caliber guards... I would like to be able to snag Haliburton. Length, really efficient, good defence and great passing.

Cassius Winston might be a late draft point guard target. Keeps producing for MSU, and he seems to be a big-game player. He's old though

« Reply #234 on: January 15, 2020, 08:54:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Waters (assuming we're able to keep him - hopefully doesn't turn out like the Kendrick Nunn situation did) can safely be our back-up PG - I'm quite high on him.
I am assuming Waters is on a one year two-way deal. That means he will be a restricted free agent with the QO being another two-way contract. He cannot be snapped up by another team like Nunn, the C's would have to choose not to match an offer.

« Reply #235 on: January 15, 2020, 09:09:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I am assuming Waters is on a one year two-way deal. That means he will be a restricted free agent with the QO being another two-way contract. He cannot be snapped up by another team like Nunn, the C's would have to choose not to match an offer.
Ah yeah, forgot about that. Seems as though we're high on him, so I can't imagine he goes anywhere.

Wanamaker might be a goner though

« Reply #236 on: January 15, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ah yeah, forgot about that. Seems as though we're high on him, so I can't imagine he goes anywhere.

Well it'd be just because the Celtics chose to not match an offer. The QO for him is tiny (and the C's are over the cap anyways) and we can match anything up to 105% of the average league salary with his early bird rights.

That I don't think he's getting an offer that big. (105% of average salary is around 9.5 million) I do think Wanamaker/Waters/Carsen are going to be fighting for at most two roster spots next year. But who knows if Waters even draws a minimum contract offer, he might be stuck on another two-way until he takes a roster spot.

« Reply #237 on: January 15, 2020, 09:55:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Well it'd be just because the Celtics chose to not match an offer. The QO for him is tiny (and the C's are over the cap anyways) and we can match anything up to 105% of the average league salary with his early bird rights.

That I don't think he's getting an offer that big. (105% of average salary is around 9.5 million) I do think Wanamaker/Waters/Carsen are going to be fighting for at most two roster spots next year. But who knows if Waters even draws a minimum contract offer, he might be stuck on another two-way until he takes a roster spot.

He will be on roster next year unless he is packaged in a trade before, which I doubt. His talent is obvious and despite his physical short comings has demonstrated ability to play in the senior circuit. 

« Reply #238 on: January 15, 2020, 10:35:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

He will be on roster next year unless he is packaged in a trade before, which I doubt. His talent is obvious and despite his physical short comings has demonstrated ability to play in the senior circuit.
Waters has played in 5 games and a whopping total of 39 minutes spread throughout the season.  He hasn't demonstrated anything at the senior level.  And let's be clear, he hasn't exactly been lights out in those 5 games.  He is just 2 of 11 from 3 with as many turnovers as assists.  The league is littered with players that have performed far greater that end up out of the league.  Waters may end up on a roster, but that is most definitely far from a given, especially given how small he is. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #239 on: January 15, 2020, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Waters has played in 5 games and a whopping total of 39 minutes spread throughout the season.  He hasn't demonstrated anything at the senior level.  And let's be clear, he hasn't exactly been lights out in those 5 games.  He is just 2 of 11 from 3 with as many turnovers as assists.  The league is littered with players that have performed far greater that end up out of the league.  Waters may end up on a roster, but that is most definitely far from a given, especially given how small he is.

I feel like some team will definitely offer Waters a real contract next year, unless all the below was just Keith Smith blowing smoke.  And due to basic roster crunch, not sure if Boston will even have room to give him a contract, especially with 3 more first round picks potentially coming in next year.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125701124796417
One last name that came up repeatedly talking to front office executives and scouts about the G-League Showcase: Tremont Waters. Water is on a Two-Way with Boston.

"He's an NBA backup PG right now. I told our GM to trade for him, because he's better than what we have today."

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125701837873152
More on Tremont Waters from another front office executive: "We'd ask, but Boston wouldn't listen. Why would they? Kid can really play. He's small, but smart. Quick enough to get his shot off. He's a playmaker. He'll be on a standard contract next year, if not later this year."

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125702605426691
Lastly on Tremont Waters from a scout: "I missed on him. Big time. Thought was too small for our league. But he's tough and fast. I don't know what he'll be beyond it, but he's an NBA backup point guard at least. And that's valuable because everyone plays three PGs a night now."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class