Author Topic: Sixers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECSF Game 1  (Read 116846 times)

Sixers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECSF Game 1
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at    
Philadelphia 76ers (4-2, 0-0) at Boston Celtics (4-2,0-0)
Eastern Conference Semi Finals
Saturday, May 12, 2012
8:00 PM ET
Playoff Game #7, Home Game #4
TV: TNT, TSN2
Radio:  WEEI,  97.5 The Fanatic
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Rajon Rondo 16.8 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 11.8 APG, + 24.6 EFF *
SG: Avery Bradley  7.2 PPG, 1.8 RPG, 0.7 APG,  +5.17 EFF

C: Kevin Garnett 18.7 PPG, 10.5 RPG, 2.0 APG,  +25.17 EFF

SF:  Paul Pierce  21.2 PPG,  6.3 RPG, 3.8 APG,  + 19.67 EFF
PF: Brandon Bass 9.0 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 0.5 APG,  +11.00 EFF
* Playoff Statistics

Coach: Doc Rivers

Celtics Reserves
Greg Stiemsma
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Marquis Daniels
Sasha Pavlovic
Ray Allen
Keyon Dooling
Ryan Hollins
Mickael Pietrus

Injured
Paul Pierce (knee) probable
Mickael Pietrus (hamstring) probable
Avery Bradley (shoulder)  probable
Ray Allen (ankle) day to day
Greg Stiemsma (feet)  probable

Probable Starters

PG: Jrue Holiday  18.2 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 4.7 APG, +18.33 EFF
SG: Evan Turner  11.7 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 2.8 APG,  +11.83 EFF

C: Spencer Hawes  11.5 PPG,  8.0 RPG, 1.7 APG, +16.17 EFF

SF: Andre Iguodala  12.0 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 3.5 APG,  +14.33 EFF
PF: Elton Brand  8.0 PPG, 5.5 RPG,  0.7 APG,  +11.33

Sixers Reserves
Thaddeus Young
Sam Young
Nikola Vucevic
Lou Williams
Tony Battie
Craig Brackins
Lavoy Allen
Jodie Meeks
Craig Brackens

Injuries
None

Key Matchups  
 vs  
Paul Pierce vs Andre Iguodala
 Both of these players were all stars and both are key to their team's success.   Pierce came up big for the Celtics in the first round as did Iguodala for the Sixers. Pierce was practicing with a brace on both knees and has alternated between playing inspired basketball and being a step too slow.  Hopefully he comes out inspired in this one.    

vs  
Rajon Rondo vs Jrue Holiday
As has been the case so many times, as Rondo goes, so go the Celtics.  They will need him to be aggressive and to set the pace for the game.  Holiday has been playing very well for the Sixers and so Rondo will need to defend well, along with running the offense effectively.  

Honorable Mention

Kevin Garnett vs Spencer Hawes
KG has been on another level in these playoffs and once again he will be matched up against an athletic big man.  KG's defense and rebounding will be needed just as much, if not more in this series.    

Key Off the Bench

Ray Allen has been playing through pain and after game 6 said that his ankle was really bothering him.  He is back to being listed as day to day once again.  The Celtics really need his scoring off the bench since Pietrus has been very ineffective offensively so far in the playoffs.  

Lou Williams gives the Sixers a boost off the bench scoring almost 13 points per game.  He came up with a big shot in game 6 to help them advance and he can be a dangerous scorer if left open.  

Keys to the Game
Defense - As always, defense is key to winning.  Period.  The Celtics must play tough in your face defense from start to finish.  They can't let themselves get caught up in a shoot out and must concentrate on getting stops.   The offense feeds off the defense and so tough  defense is absolutely the key to a win and the series.  

Rebound -   The Sixers are a good rebounding team, ranking 7th in the league at 43.2 rebounds per game in the regular season.   The Celtics finished the season ranked 30th at 38.8 rpg.  However, both teams are dead even in the playoffs at 41.17 rebounds per game.  Much of rebounding is effort and the Celtics have got to continue to crash the boards as a team since the team that wins the rebounding battle will more than likely win the war.  

Take Care of the Ball  - The Celtics tend to turn the ball over way too much.  In the regular season, the Celtics averaged 14.8 TO per game while Philly averaged 12.8.  In the playoffs, the Celtics have cut their turnovers to 12.8 per game while the Sixers have cut theirs down even more to 9.8, in spite of playing an excellent defensive team in the Bulls.   The Celtics must move the ball and find the open man without making sloppy passes and turning the ball over.  Doc has singled out limiting turnovers as the most important thing they have to do.    They must keep their focus and take care of the ball as the Sixers will make them pay if they don't.  

Bench Play - The Celtics need to get quality minutes from their bench. With the injuries and fatigue becoming a factor as they move further into the playoffs,   they have to find a way to rest their starters without giving up a lead or digging a hole.  With Ray once again being day to day,  Pietrus, Dooling and others must step up to give the Celtics some scoring off the bench and some preservation of the starters.  

Control the Pace - Doc mentioned that the Celtics were about to take on a bunch of gazelles.  The Sixers do like to run and they like to keep the game at a fast pace.  The Celtics have got to find a way to slow the pace of the game down.   They can do this by taking care of the ball, crashing the boards and playing tough defense.  

Game Notes
As we begin this series, we can just throw out the regular season in which the Sixers were 2-1 vs the Celtics. The Celtics won by 24 points on their home court while the Sixers won by 13 and 32 in Philly.  What makes the regular season especially different from this series is that in each of the regular season games, the Celtics were playing in back to back games (including one after an OT game on the road) and Philly was off the night before each.  Besides that, we know that the playoff Celtics are a different breed from the regular season Celtics.  

While in the Celtics' first round series, both teams were affected by injuries, it's a different story in this series.  The Sixers come into this series healthy and with no injuries listed.   The Celtics on the other hand come into the series bruised and battered with Pierce (knee), Allen (ankle), Stiemsma (feet), Bradley (shoulder) and Pietrus (hamstring) all nursing injuries.   I'm not sure if the Sixers are harbingers of bad luck but teams that play them seem to end up with injuries.  The Bulls lost Rose, Noah and Gibson all to injuries in their first round series.  The last time the Celtics played the Sixers in Philly, Mickael Pietrus had to be taken off the court on a stretcher.  Not a good track record on their part.  

Both teams are coming off a 6 game series.  Both teams won their series without home court.  Because the Sixers are the 8th seed, the Celtics will have home court in this series.  Twelve out of twelve of the ESPN "experts" picked the Celtics to win this series.  Most believe the Celtics are the better team.  Injuries will be a factor.  The Celtics especially need Paul Pierce to be effective and to play well.

Don't expect a lot of bulletin board material from the Sixers.  I have a feeling that after hearing KG's press conference, Doug Collins called his players in and threatened them to within an inch of their lives not to say anything negative about the Celtics.  I listened to Andre Iguodala on ESPN Radio and you would think he was doing PR for the Celtics.  No, KG isn't dirty. He's just passionate and a great player.  No, the Celtics aren't old.  They are experienced.  Doc is the best coach in the league.  The Celtics are all wonderful.  Not even a hint of anything negative.      

It will be important for the Celtics to get off to a quick start in this game and in the series.  They have to come out strong, hit the Sixers hard, and never look back.  

X-Factor
Injuries, Officiating, and Home Court
The Sixers are healthy.  The Celtics are not.  Can the Celtics overcome their injuries to play effectively?  Whether we like it or not, officiating does have an effect on the games.  So far, the officiating has been pretty good for the Celtics and hopefully it will continue that way.  And finally, the Celtics have home court and hopefully they will get a boost from the home crowd.  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:42:25 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Sixers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECSF Game 1
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP. I probably won't be able to watch this game, even though it's on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. I'm going to a school reunion (I am looking forward to it; it's been almost 20 years).

Anyways, here's to a win   Enjoy the game, ladies and gents.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
X I TD!
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:51:29 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Can't wait!

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:32:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP, FL!

Let's not let THESE guys down, BOS!

Most importantly, let's not let THESE guys down:

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
this is gonna be another battle but we should be able to handle it

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
2 feeling about tonight:

1. if the sixers are going to get one in boston...it would be this one
2. big part of me wants to say the sixers are so happy to just be in round 2...that the Cs will roll

I don't think philly has the outside shooting to hurt the Cs...I really like the Cs match ups..think bass on brand is ok and KG on hawes works also

rondo needs to lock holiday down...worried about ray/bradley on Turner...Turner is big and can pass really well...need to make him a jump shooter

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Tp every. single. time. I see FLCeltsFan. What an incredible job he or she does with this.

Why does the game have to be on while I'm at work!? Just my luck. I'll be counting on contributors of this thread to provide me the play by play.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
ahhh I'm so excited! Just got my computer back, haven't had the money to fix it over the last year or so. Missed CB!!

LETS GO CELTICS!!!
1, 2, 3, UBUNTU!!!

Its all about 18.
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
ahhh I'm so excited! Just got my computer back, haven't had the money to fix it over the last year or so. Missed CB!!

LETS GO CELTICS!!!
1, 2, 3, UBUNTU!!!

Its all about 18.
Welcome back, here's a TP! :)

Lets go Celtics
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28

LETS GO CELTICS!!!
1, 2, 3, UBUNTU!!!

Its all about 18.
Welcome back, here's a TP! :)

Lets go Celtics

Thank you. Here's one back for your troubles
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »

Offline Andrew Celtic Nation

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
does anyone have a link to that video of Pierce dropping 46 on Philly in 2002, I was looking for it but couldn't find it.

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It would be a very Celtics thing to lose Game 1 in a way that causes some of the weaker-willed Celtics fans to panic, then roar back to win four of the next five.

Not that I expect or would be happy if this team won, but I'm not going to go crazy and start a thread about how the Celtics are doomed and how is it the fault of Doc/Pierce/Rondo/Bass/Dooling/etc if this turns out to be a bad game.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Tp every. single. time. I see FLCeltsFan. What an incredible job he or she does with this.

Why does the game have to be on while I'm at work!? Just my luck. I'll be counting on contributors of this thread to provide me the play by play.

TP for your kind words.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 03:55:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Off to a wedding.  Root hard in my absence.

GO CELTS!
Yup