Poll

BOS 98 LAL 88: (make up to 6 choices max 3 per player - try to post your picks & reasoning)

Rondo (15 pts 5 reb 7 ast )
Rondo
Rondo
R. Allen (19 pts 8 reb 5 ast)
R. Allen
R. Allen
Garnett (24 pts 13 reb 3 ast)
Garnett
Garnett
Pierce (22 pts 3 3's 7-10 fg 4 reb)
Pierce
Pierce
Perkins (4 reb)
Perkins
Perkins
Posey (3 pts 2 stl)
Posey
Posey
Brown (6 reb)
Brown
Brown
Cassell (8 pts)
Cassell
Cassell
Powe (4 pts 4 reb)
Powe
Powe

Author Topic: MVP Poll Results - Game 1 NBA Finals: BOS 98 LAL 88  (Read 4893 times)

MVP Poll Results - Game 1 NBA Finals: BOS 98 LAL 88
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:25:47 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
OK, MVP Poll back by popular demand (or at least one person's demand - I'm easy ;) ).  If you remember the drill, great.  If not, just wing it.  I'm too tired to explain the whole thing.

Well, a pretty [dang] sweet win for the C's over an outclassed  Laker team (yep, I'm getting cocky after one win).  Really though, it just seemed to me from the get go that the Celtics were going to be able to do what they wanted on the offensive and once they figured out how to stop the pick and roll they cruised.  Maybe the best thing that happened was Perk getting hurt, because he was invisible tonight. 

KG came out smokin' and Sam gave some offense off the bench.  Rondo was solid from end to end.  Ray made one boneheaded pass, but was incredibly energetic throughout.  A huge effort by PJ Brown, getting big minutes in the second half.  He and Posey led the charge defensively in the 4th, and helped keep the Lakers at a safe distance while KG tried to get his shot back.  KG never really did get the shot back, but he made a couple of big plays off the glass and had the clinching moment on a putback slam.

So, who am I forgetting?  Ahhh, yes...THE CAPTAIN!  Once again PP, took the game over when the team needed him to.  After a disappointing end to the first half, the C's trailed by 5.  Pierce killed that lead instatntly in teh 2nd half with a couple of quick buckets and sweet redemption, getting a call his way on the 4 point play.  Moments later he was carried off the court with a Lebron-like knee injury (turnabouts fair play people...we complain about LBJ doing this stuff, but our man Pierce looked to be crippled for life one minute, then hoopin' the next...but I digress).  The Captain played like the Captain again.

In the end, it was Exhibit A for how great defense trumps good offense.  Kobe was contested heavily and never got into his shooting.  Gasol was stopped cold in the 2nd half.  Great D wins.  Celts up 1-0.

Gotta love it.

My votes for tonight:  Pierce 3, KG 2, Rondo 1 (tough leaving Ray off, but I gotta give it to Rajon who was solid all night..also would love to give some love to PJ, but there are only so many votes to go around)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:57:56 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: MVP Poll - Game 1 NBA Finals: BOS 98 LAL 88
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I hate to vote on this.  Paul was probably the MVP, but I don't want to devalue the important contributions of the rest of the team--without their points, boards, hustle, this would have been an "L." 

So yeah, how about a Ubuntu MVP for Game one?  Team effort.  Team victory.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:33:16 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I really don't know who to vote for in this game either although I think Paul Pierce will end up being Finals MVP. At least he certainly has been through the playoffs thus far.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:39:40 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rondo and not Ray? no way. Pierce Garnett Allen, in that order. If I could give Pierce 100 votes I would.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 12:41:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Rondo and not Ray? no way. Pierce Garnett Allen, in that order. If I could give Pierce 100 votes I would.

Not an easy choice.  Ray was a tiger on the glass tonight, but Rondo was steady all game long.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:49:01 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I went with my boy because:

1) Everyone and their mother was saying this game was won on the boards, and KG filled it up in that respect.
2) He was on fire and kept us in the game first half.
3) Despite missing shots, he made some great "little things" plays in the 4th.  The half court save, poked away two balls on defense, finding Posey for a key 3 pointer, big boards.
4) The most emphatic dagger I've ever seen in my life.

Pierce is getting his due respect for coming back from that injury, but he had a terrible 1st half and Doc was justifiably conservative with PP in the 4th.  He still got votes from me though, but had to give 3 to KG.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 01:09:50 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tough one tonight but I'd have to go Garnett & Pierce are 1A and 1B.  Probably throw Ray in there as my third star but I was awfully proud of PJ tonight.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:10:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1) Pierce
2) KG
3) Rondo

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:17:05 AM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Tough decision tonight, But i just had to hand it to K.G., the interior Defensive anchor and for his high score totals; Of course the defence played on "The Kobb' by Ray and the Capt(100% shooting by Paul in the second half ::) ) , along with Rondos  point totals; earned each one vote. Man did we own the boards or what  ::)

Superlative second half of quality hoops we witnessed tonight folks...

3 to go, and feeling great that "the kobb" was held to what, 39% shooting, just like about what he produced mid season against us, and "the poodle" only able to chip in 15 bodes well indeed ;)
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 01:34:10 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yes! I've been missing this since the regular season ... not sure why it stopped, but I'm glad it's back! (Thanks Redz) This was easy for me ... Pierce was the man, absolutely, and I gave him three. With the rest I gave one each to Rondo, Ray, and Ticket, as they were all huge tonight. Awesome win and only three more to go! Almost as sweet as the win is the fact that most of the trolls have shut their collective "mouths" for the time-being. Gotta say, they were really getting to me today! Go Celtics!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 06:19:30 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
3 for Pierce, 2 for KG, 1 for Ray.  Any other night, KG gets top billing, but not last night.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 07:23:59 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Great team effort.  I think you can pick any of the big 4.  PP was great in the comeback from injury, near perfect shooting 2nd half, great d, boxing out etc.  KG great in first half, d, you name it, shooting was really off in 2nd half.  Rondo great all around performance from the 2nd year guard, steady to (less sam please)
But I gave my mvp vote to Ray Allen, nice shooting, great rebounding from our sg, good passing except that behind the back?.  Mainly because the man he mainly guarded shot 9 for 25 or something like that.
great team defense but big nod to ray

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Yes! I've been missing this since the regular season ... not sure why it stopped, but I'm glad it's back! (Thanks Redz)

I think after 82 games (well 76 or so - thanks Bahku ;) ) , I needed a break from the "commitment" of the MVP Polls.  I do enjoy doing them though.  Hopefully only 3 more to go!
Yup

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I had to spread it around:
2 Pierce
1 Rondo
1 KG
1 Ray
1 PJ Brown

Pierce is obvious, but then I had to dole some out to Rondo for hitting the jumpers he was supposed to hit, KG for captaining some nice D in the 2nd half, Ray for the D on Kobe, and PJ Brown for the nice bench spark.....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

*MVP POLL RESULTS*
NBA Finals - Game 1
BOS 98 LAL 88

FINISHES                               
         GAME      SERIES      1st      2nd      3rd   
   Pierce   
   Garnett   
   R. Allen   
   Rondo   
   Brown   
   Powe   
   Cassell   
   Posey   
   Voters: 42   
   Series Voters: 42   

Yup