Author Topic: Some Optimism For Terry in the Playoffs  (Read 4173 times)

Some Optimism For Terry in the Playoffs
« on: April 13, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm not staking out against the crowd here. I'm down on Terry. There is no one on the Celtics that has frustrated me more during the regular season.

But...

Terry knows how much money he cost himself this season. Now, with Marcus Smart out for a couple weeks, Terry has an opportunity to make himself that money back. Even if he's not starting (Jaylen should start) Terry is going to be the primary backup for both guard positions and could be looking at 28-30 mpg off the bench. This is his chance to make some big plays on the big stage and convince a free agent team who's on the fence after this regular season that he's a big game performer and deserves a big contract.

The fear, of course, is that this will incentivize Terry to take a lot of hero ball shots that hurt the team. This is a real concern. But if Terry understands that the best way to earn himself big money this summer is to play hard, smart basketball and use his athleticism to make up some of what is lost on defense with Smart out, then I do see reason to be optimistic about him making the most of this opportunity and giving the Celtics a shot to go far in the playoffs.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Some Optimism For Terry in the Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 06:04:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Time to bring out Drew Bledsoe jerseys if the C's Bucks rematch happens

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 06:20:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Terry knows how much money he cost himself this season. Now, with Marcus Smart out for a couple weeks, Terry has an opportunity to make himself that money back.

That's the best reason I could think of that he shouldn't be playing.

Terry desperate to make up for his bad regular season in the playoffs sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if he's given the chance to touch the ball.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 06:34:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Terry plays his best when he doesn’t over dribble. Team him up with GH as much as possible. Gordon will set him up to succeed.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 07:25:28 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Terry knows how much money he cost himself this season. Now, with Marcus Smart out for a couple weeks, Terry has an opportunity to make himself that money back.

That's the best reason I could think of that he shouldn't be playing.

Terry desperate to make up for his bad regular season in the playoffs sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if he's given the chance to touch the ball.

I agree. I think that playing Rozier heavy minutes is gonna be a disaster. If he's not hitting his shots, he's pretty much useless. And if he IS hitting his shots, he starts thinking he's something special, which is also bad.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Terry plays his best when he doesn’t over dribble. Team him up with GH as much as possible. Gordon will set him up to succeed.

Issue is that when Terry doesn't over-dribble, it's because he's got tunnel vision and simply tries to create a shot for himself ASAP.

It was fun watching DJ Augustin play against the Raps today.  He's everything that Terry isn't.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 08:07:40 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
whatever team he is on next year ...he ll score 50 on the Celtics .

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 09:29:46 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Terry has always stepped up in the playoffs when needed. Against the Hawks in 2016, he filled in for the injured Avery Bradley with a solid 20 mpg and much better efficiency than he had during the regular season. And last year, he stepped right into Irving's shoes to help propel us to the ECF, and get within a game of an NBA Finals appearance.

I have no doubt that Terry is capable of stepping up, but my worry is that he'll try to step up in the same way he did while replacing Irving last year, when what we need is for him to replace Smart. He needs to focus on defense and spacing, and let everything else come to him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 09:53:56 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Issue is that when Terry doesn't over-dribble, it's because he's got tunnel vision and simply tries to create a shot for himself ASAP.

It was fun watching DJ Augustin play against the Raps today.  He's everything that Terry isn't.

Ssseeeesssh It seems you’re forgetting what he did last year.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, why would he take the more recent sample of an entire season as more relevant than 19 games last season where Terry was a starter ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think Terry will be a drag on the team, but I’m hoping to be wrong.

Either way, I’m glad we get to play Indiana in the first series to try him out before we hit the Bucks. If he continues to be 2019 Terry his minutes should be sharply reduced.

(And yes, I know he abused Bledsoe last year. Bledsoe is a different guy this year. Took the right lesson and improved his game.)

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 12:20:38 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah, why would he take the more recent sample of an entire season as more relevant than 19 games last season where Terry was a starter ::)

Because he has an opportunity to play more minutes.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 12:34:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Because he has an opportunity to play more minutes.
Which should not exist. Hopefully Brad sees the light and completely benches him and Morris for the most part
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 12:57:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370

I also think Terry plays best when he doesn't feel like he has to impact the game immediately. If he knows he has time he tends to settle into the game better and doesn't try to overdo things.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 01:26:59 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
0-10 from three in game seven of the ECF.

The choke's on us.