Author Topic: Top remaining Free Agents  (Read 3938 times)

Re: Top remaining Free Agents
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2022, 03:29:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
based on who's left and still having 3 spots open, I'd take a run at Sexton, Harrell and Lamb for the min if they've got no other offers.  Howard and Whiteside could be really helpful big bodies but they're track record of being team headaches really turns me off of them as options.

Sexton has a qualifying offer $7.2 million. He’s staying with Cleveland — either on a long-term deal or the QO.
that's what I would have thought but seeing him on this list I got the impression he didn't get the QO and was allowed to be a UFA.

I didn't differentiate but Sexton is a restricted free agent.  Still a free agent but CLE has him in a corner now.  No other team can offer him anything to even match the QO.  And CLE has no incentive to offer him a big contract even though they can (unless they are forced to match which they won't be).  I think IND and SAN have cap space so they in theory could make a run at any of these higher end FAs but doesn't seem they will.

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2022, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I am bumping this although there is not much change.  These are some names still out there:

Sexton
Harrell
Howard
Whiteside
Cousins
Jackson (Josh)
Lamb

All we have at this point is a min contract offer.  But I was wondering, other than if a team signs someone using bird rights or something like that, who out there can offer anything other than a min contract?  It doesn't seem like there are that many options for guys like Sexton and Harrell who would otherwise warrant more than a vet min contract.  I guess some teams could do sign and trades (not the Celtics).

These remaining FA are going to have to do something pretty soon I would think.
I image most of these guys are waiting for the best deal.
If I we're the Celtics I'd offer Howard a non-guaranteed vet min.
If I was Howard I wouldn't take it, yet.

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2022, 03:42:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
based on who's left and still having 3 spots open, I'd take a run at Sexton, Harrell and Lamb for the min if they've got no other offers.  Howard and Whiteside could be really helpful big bodies but they're track record of being team headaches really turns me off of them as options.

Sexton has a qualifying offer $7.2 million. He’s staying with Cleveland — either on a long-term deal or the QO.
that's what I would have thought but seeing him on this list I got the impression he didn't get the QO and was allowed to be a UFA.

I didn't differentiate but Sexton is a restricted free agent.  Still a free agent but CLE has him in a corner now.  No other team can offer him anything to even match the QO.  And CLE has no incentive to offer him a big contract even though they can (unless they are forced to match which they won't be).  I think IND and SAN have cap space so they in theory could make a run at any of these higher end FAs but doesn't seem they will.
Of course they have an incentive to offer him a big contract, if they don't they will lose him for nothing as he has a no trade clause and they won't really be able to do anything with him next summer when he walks out the door to a team with cap space.  They don't have to pay him the max, but they should be thinking about something similar to what they gave Allen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2022, 03:45:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Harrell would be a good fit talent wise, but 1) he can be prickly / disruptive when he doesn't get playing time; and 2) I've got to think he gets more than the minimum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2022, 04:04:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Harrell would be a good fit talent wise, but 1) he can be prickly / disruptive when he doesn't get playing time; and 2) I've got to think he gets more than the minimum.

I agree, but for someone to pay him more, they would need cap space (SAN or IND are the only teams I believe) or the team would need to have a MLE or BAE available and not already be hard capped.  I don't have a list of teams that could meet the latter.

I am not expecting Harrell to sign with the Celtics.  Not only is the money not there but the playing time is probably below what he would expect.

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2022, 04:12:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I agree, but for someone to pay him more, they would need cap space (SAN or IND are the only teams I believe) or the team would need to have a MLE or BAE available and not already be hard capped.  I don't have a list of teams that could meet the latter.

I am not expecting Harrell to sign with the Celtics.  Not only is the money not there but the playing time is probably below what he would expect.

I assume he'll be back in Charlotte, although perhaps on a one year deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2022, 11:43:49 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Olivier Sarr signed with Portland..wouldn’t mind seeing him on Celtics roster
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin