Author Topic: Lakers Pick could force us to let Smart walk in FA  (Read 2942 times)

Lakers Pick could force us to let Smart walk in FA
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:00:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Per Boston.com article below, if we get the Laker pick, particularly if it lands at 2, we will likely have to let Smart walk in order to avoid paying the luxury tax next season.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/01/16/will-the-lakers-draft-pick-end-marcus-smarts-time-in-boston

I'm not a cap guy, so am taking with a grain of Salt(lover).

Re: Lakers Pick could force us to let Smart walk in FA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:02:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If this is the case, maybe Danny is secretly hoping the Laker pick slides beyond 5, so that we can defer luxury tax for an additional season.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't think it's that simple.  If we're to compete, we'll eventually have to pay the tax.  That's just life. 

Could the laker pick expedite Smart's exit?  Sure.  But long term that will be something the team needs to consider whether or not we get that pick. 

So yeah, the tax will be a huge part of whether the team resigns smart one way or the other.  Put my down on the side of letting smart walk eventually because I would not want his signing to impact the resigning of guys like smart and tatum down the line.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would happily let Smart walk if it means we have the number 2 overall pick.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:23:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
From the piece:

If the Celtics get the 5th pick, Smart’s price comes in lower than expected, and the Celtics trade away some salary (Marcus Morris becomes a prime candidate), then the odds of keeping Smart go up.

This is, more or less, my prediction. I think the market for a non-shooting guard (even one as good as Marcus) will come in quite a bit lower than some are expecting.

I also think salary can be shed as necessary and Morris is the prime candidate, especially if Semi or Yabu develop (Yabu has a long way to go but I wouldn't be shocked if he made a jump).

Finally, this team has the best record in the East without Gordon Hayward and with Jaylen and Jayson in the 2nd and 1st seasons. Getting Hayward, getting a year of experience for those two, and Irving having a full year of experience with Brad means this should be a team worth going into the tax to keep together.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:37:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My current feeling, regardless of whether or not we get the pick, is that the Celtics and Smart won’t come to an agreement this year.  However, because of restricted free agency and the lack of cap space for many teams, Smart will not find an offer to his liking and will sign his qualifying offer.  Depending on if we get the pick/where the pick ends up, this may or may not push us slightly into the luxury tax.

I don’t think the Celtics will let Smart walk to avoid the tax at all costs, especially as they can work to get under the tax later in the season if they’re not too far above it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:54:05 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Is Smart re-signing really that dependent on if we get the pick? I know there are salary implications, but my guess is we use the pick for a big, right?  DA may feel that with the pick, the roster is more or less complete and decide to move forward with Smart being an integral part.  As previously noted, we are going to have to go over to compete.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I would not be surprised if the Celtics deal Smart at the deadline for exactly this reason. It's not going into the tax next year specifically that hurts. It's that you're probably going to be in the tax the following year no matter what, and it's that repeater tax that really kills teams. This team is trying to win for the next several years, and you can't do that if you're in perpetually in luxury tax territory because of the repeater penalty.

If no other teams want to pull the trigger on Smart this season, the Celtics could roll the dice in the offseason, that is see what they can negotiate and also if/where that Lakers pick hits this year. If those things don't work out, then you could still sign and trade him in the offseason if you need to. As the author (J Karalis) mentioned, dealing away Marcus Morris could also help fit everything together.

From a personnel point of view, you also have to remember that Hayward is coming back, maybe even this season. He approximates some of what Smart gives you, specifically ballhandling/playmaking and a versatile and physical wing defender who can switch. The closing lineup next year will almost certainly be Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford. How badly do you need Smart in that scenario, especially when Rozier will still be on the last year of his rookie deal, and you've got picks coming through the pipeline? That's the point: the Celtics will have to pick who their core players are, and since you've already got three max players plus two rookie deal guys that could easily become max players, something has got to give.

(I love Smart, btw.)
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Smart is born Celtic.

KG s. ...attitude carried on ....never say die.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 01:39:46 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Which teams make a run at him?  I think for 15M, people want a starting point guard.  Is there a GM who has the guts to pay that kind of money to a guy who can't shoot and has mediocre stats?  Now I now the his plus/minus is awesome, but is the GM going to be willing and able to sell that to the fans?

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If this is the case, maybe Danny is secretly hoping the Laker pick slides beyond 5, so that we can defer luxury tax for an additional season.

Why couldn't he just trade 2 for 5 and a future pick?

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45

Why couldn't he just trade 2 for 5 and a future pick?

Why would we trade the chance to draft one of Ayton/Bagley (exactly what we need), to get Bamba and keep Smart? If Smart isn't playing for 8-10 million per season, why would we want him? Guys with that flawed of offensive games rarely get large contracts, especially as a Guard. Ben Wallace, Rodman....sure. Smart??? Nah

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:54:50 PM »

Online otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Is Smart re-signing really that dependent on if we get the pick? I know there are salary implications, but my guess is we use the pick for a big, right?  DA may feel that with the pick, the roster is more or less complete and decide to move forward with Smart being an integral part.  As previously noted, we are going to have to go over to compete.

Smart re-signing is NOT dependent on getting LAL pick.  It just means that if we get the pick and keep it, something else has to give (like getting rid of MM or AB or Both) to avoid paying tax next year.

If mgt does not mind starting the tax cycle next year, then they can keep pick, and resign MS.  Although I believe the most they can offer UFA A Baynes next year is the MLE.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
We need to re-sign Smart, no questions asked. A few years ago, I bought my son a Marcus Smart jersey and, given what those things cost, there's no way I'm getting him a different one.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Ownership would have no problem paying the luxury tax for a championship contender. Like all championship contenders.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens