Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119963 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #870 on: July 18, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
If the Celtics wrap up Smart for 4 years for what woj is reporting.  this is great news and a steal for the Celtics.

« Reply #871 on: July 18, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Do you see Al opting out of $30mm? Seems not in his interest to do so to say the least
There will never be a better time for him to get another contract than next year.

Lots and lots of cap room around the league and he's a year younger than if he waits another season.

Can't remember a single instance of a player opting out of $30mm, But hey there's a first time for everything.. 8)

« Reply #872 on: July 18, 2018, 12:40:25 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Looks as if something else has to happen to keep Cs out of the luxury tax besides Nader getting stretched if this report is true.

« Reply #873 on: July 18, 2018, 12:44:51 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Do you see Al opting out of $30mm? Seems not in his interest to do so to say the least
There will never be a better time for him to get another contract than next year.

Lots and lots of cap room around the league and he's a year younger than if he waits another season.

Can't remember a single instance of a player opting out of $30mm, But hey there's a first time for everything.. 8)

Here are two possible scenarios (of many):

Opts-in to 30 million, and then signs a 4 year, 40 million dollar contract to fit his production as a role player going forward. Over 5 years, he earns 70 million.

Opts-out of 30 million, and then signs 5 year, 80 million dollar contract moving forward. Over 5 years, he earns 80 million.

Opting out of immediate money to sign a longer-term contract is the only way it makes financial sense for Horford, unless he wants to do Boston a favor (ala David West to the Spurs a few years ago).

« Reply #874 on: July 18, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Opts-in to 30 million, and then signs a 4 year, 40 million dollar contract to fit his production as a role player going forward. Over 5 years, he earns 70 million.

Opts-out of 30 million, and then signs 5 year, 80 million dollar contract moving forward. Over 5 years, he earns 80 million.

Opting out of immediate money to sign a longer-term contract is the only way it makes financial sense for Horford, unless he wants to do Boston a favor (ala David West to the Spurs a few years ago).

Well we'd have to decide he's worth paying $16mm per until he's 38 lol. I wouldn't.

Best thing for Al is to take the $30mm and then sign for $20mm per for 2 more years while there's still a market for him..

« Reply #875 on: July 18, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
This is a compromise between what the market was and what Smart wants. It's an insurance policy for what happens in next year's FA with Irving and Rozier.

« Reply #876 on: July 18, 2018, 12:50:32 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Well we'd have to decide he's worth paying $16mm per until he's 38 lol. I wouldn't.

Best thing for Al is to take the $30mm and then sign for $20mm per for 2 more years while there's still a market for him..

It'd be a similar contract to the one Iggy got from GSW.

There's a lot of scenarios that could play out, including the one you mentioned. I'm just saying there is a possible way he could want to opt-out.

« Reply #877 on: July 18, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Want Smart back. But also want enough to resign Kyrie and Rozier next season as well as maybe Al.

I think Al is going to have to wait until 2020 to get another deal. And I'm not 100% sure it will be with the C's. Something tells me we're going to ride the Kyrie/Hayward/Al horse for 2-3 years before handing the keys over to Rozier/Tatum/Brown whomever else develops in that time. Smart, Semi etc off the bench

I really hope Kyrie is the future PG of the Celtics and not Terry Rozier. I like Terry, but he's not top 5 pg or a top 15 overall player.

Rozier is actually becoming an excellent PG. Maybe not elite like Kyrie but if you're making Kyrie the centerpiece of your team the team will become hugely expensive in 2-3 years as Brown/Tatum/2019 picks etc come off their rookie deals. Could you live with a very good PG like Rozier and make Tatum the franchise cornerstone? Tough decisions ahead..

If you’re making Kyrie a centerpiece of you’re team your competing for titles, and that’s worth the extra dollars.

It’s not impossible for the Celtics to avoid the tax next year by maxing Kyrie if Horford opts out and takes long term deal that averages in the $20-22 million range, which is not unreasonable for his age.

I fully expect Kyrie to be resigned for 2 years at least after this year. Question is what happens when Kyrie is hitting 29 and Tatum/Brown/Rozier etc are entering their primes and w/ commiserate paydays?

« Reply #878 on: July 18, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Looks as if something else has to happen to keep Cs out of the luxury tax besides Nader getting stretched if this report is true.

Maybe move Morris for an expiring?

« Reply #879 on: July 18, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Isn't Morris an expiring?

« Reply #880 on: July 18, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Isn't Morris an expiring?

True, maybe they just waive him..

« Reply #881 on: July 18, 2018, 01:08:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don’t think I would be overly satisfied  with a $50M/4 yr deal for Smart, but I am probably in the minority; was hoping to wrap him up for around $10M/yr or have him just take the QO.

There are worse things in the world and Smart is a good player, but his ceiling seems pretty well established at this point. I guess that means we are choosing Smart over Rozier (for the future). Also, a new contract for Smart this year probably means Morris is on the move and no Bird signing.

« Reply #882 on: July 18, 2018, 01:12:26 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

No. Nader can be waived to save around 1 mill.

Morris will need to be moved for a late second rounder. Mook, bro, forgive me for saying that. Go win a ring with a West team... You've been stellar... Dude deserves a ring if he keeps doing what he do.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #883 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

No. Nader can be waived to save around 1 mill.

Morris will need to be moved for a late second rounder. Mook, bro, forgive me for saying that. Go win a ring with a West team... You've been stellar... Dude deserves a ring if he keeps doing what he do.

Man, the guy is worth more than a second rounder lol.

« Reply #884 on: July 18, 2018, 01:17:30 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I don’t think I would be overly satisfied  with a $50M/4 yr deal for Smart, but I am probably in the minority; was hoping to wrap him up for around $10M/yr or have him just take the QO.

There are worse things in the world and Smart is a good player, but his ceiling seems pretty well established at this point. I guess that means we are choosing Smart over Rozier (for the future). Also, a new contract for Smart this year probably means Morris is on the move and no Bird signing.

I think they will also resign Rozier frankly. No reason to let him just walk..