Author Topic: C's Would Benefit Even More With Another Depth Big/Bench Scorer  (Read 10182 times)

Re: C's Would Benefit Even More With Another Depth Big/Bench Scorer
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Gerald Green would be an excellent choice, still.

Plenty of Celtic ties, great locker room presence, and he's able to express his story to the youngsters. You can never have too many vets, especially if they fit our Horford/Hayward timeline, and taken into consideration, we're like the 5th youngest team.
I want to see what we can do with Monta Ellis.

Now I know, he's a troubled basketball player as far as shot selection, efficiency and defense, but we've seen how Brad can turn an average, no defense scorer (Jordan Crawford) into a reliable off the bench player. He does have the talent of a solid NBA scorer, and could probably be had for the minimum.

I mean, we saw it with Shane Larkin last night that players can be reliable under Brad, and he was out of the league last year, maybe Brad can do something with Ellis...

I like Ellis, but I fear his defensive inconsistency will become contagious. He certainly tries, but he gets absolutely smothered to death on picks. He can't shoot the 3 well either. Larkin pretty much brings what he does to the table for a cheaper and team friendlier contract.

Monroe and Okafor are horrible fits for this team. Down low offensive players without an ability to switch onto anyone or closeout three point shooters. This team just doesn't play a system that would make these players effective.

I would rather go after a player like Belinelli or Ilyasova.

I think Ilyasova would also be a great choice. Belinelli I'll pass on, but I do think Okafor could still do well on this team, same goes for Monroe. Monroe has skillful passing, and can command double teams, along with Okafor, who used to see that a lot in his rookie days.

Their defense, and inability to space like you said, seems to be why Stevens/Ainge aren't that high on them.

Do you think the Hawks are gonna buy him out, or do you think we'll cough up an 2nd rounder?

Wow can't believe I completely forgot about Gerald Green! TP for that.

I definitely wouldn't mind having him back, and he definitely adds a scoring punch out of the bench (which was big for us vs. Chicago in last year's playoffs, and even some games vs. Cleveland).  ;D

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
We need more depth period.  As long as it is a quality player.  As we have seen, injuries can strike at any time.  Hayward, Horford, Tatum, Irving, etc.  All have missed some time.  Nobody's safe from the injury bug.

You can't have a roster of 15 great players. If a starting key player gets injured you can't do much. Take Curry and Clay away from the Warriors and what happens?

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 08:50:53 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
We need more depth period.  As long as it is a quality player.  As we have seen, injuries can strike at any time.  Hayward, Horford, Tatum, Irving, etc.  All have missed some time.  Nobody's safe from the injury bug.

You can't have a roster of 15 great players. If a starting key player gets injured you can't do much. Take Curry and Clay away from the Warriors and what happens?

Still got prime Kevin Durant and Draymond Green to lead the bunch. Still able to win games but not overly achieving.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 02:52:12 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Did the knicks exercised their team option for McDermott? We could really use his versatility off the bench.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 03:15:35 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I want to see what we can do with Monta Ellis.

Now I know, he's a troubled basketball player as far as shot selection, efficiency and defense, but we've seen how Brad can turn an average, no defense scorer (Jordan Crawford) into a reliable off the bench player. He does have the talent of a solid NBA scorer, and could probably be had for the minimum.

I mean, we saw it with Shane Larkin last night that players can be reliable under Brad, and he was out of the league last year, maybe Brad can do something with Ellis...

Ellis is far from being on my wishlist, but if I think twice, Brad is kind of wizard, so... ::)

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 07:15:38 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Did the knicks exercised their team option for McDermott? We could really use his versatility off the bench.

Not all tweeners are versatile, but all versatile players are tweeners.

I don't think McDermott is versatile at all. He cannot defend one position, and he continues to struggle to score.

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Not all tweeners are versatile, but all versatile players are tweeners.

I don't think McDermott is versatile at all. He cannot defend one position, and he continues to struggle to score.

I haven't seen them play much, but McDermott's advanced defensive stats don't look good and he's not the kind of athlete who is likely to become a good defender.  But to say he's struggling to score is just wrong.  68% true shooting is outstanding for a primarily perimeter scorer.

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think we need a tall guy like okafor or Monroe who can score and are bigs

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Could someone humor me and give your opinion on using the DPE on Belinelli please?

Thanks,

Smitty77

He's okay but out of all the options and potential options he's not high on my list tbh.

Now if they cut Nader and we had two open spots (and two exceptions), I guess I wouldn't mind using one of them on Belinelli.

Belinelli would be a great addition, he can catch and shoot, handle the ball, and plays enough defense to not hurt you.  He would allow the Celtics to get more rest for their players so they’re better rested for the playoffs as he could handle the scoring in a bench role.  He would actually be my top choice amongst the rumored names.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:40:25 AM by Celts Fan 508 »
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Could someone humor me and give your opinion on using the DPE on Belinelli please?

Thanks,

Smitty77

He's okay but out of all the options and potential options he's not high on my list tbh.

Now if they cut Nader and we had two open spots (and two exceptions), I guess I wouldn't mind using one of them on Belinelli.

Belinelli would be a great addition, he can catch and shoot, handle the ball, and plays enough defense to not hurt you.  He would allow the Celtics to get more rest for their players so they’re better rested for the playoffs as he could handle the scoring in a bench role.  He would actually be my top choice amongst the rumored names.

Thanks 508!!  I think that Belineeli's less than stellar defense could be fairly well hidden with the defensive studs that we could surround him with and with the stellar teaching of Brad. 

Smitty77

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Wouldn't it be nice to have a big that could give us 7 points, 6 boards, and over 1 block in less than 17 minutes per game AND shoot over 56% and a solid 82% from the line?  I forgot to mention he currently has a 21.2 PER.

His is the same Kyle O'Quinn I have been clamoring for all year!!! 

If he would deny his player option of just under 4.3 million for next year, we could use the DPE on him.  We could also trade Yabusele and Nader for O'Quinn and use the DPE on Belinelli:-)

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6965639

Thoughts?

Smitty77

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
Wouldn't it be nice to have a big that could give us 7 points, 6 boards, and over 1 block in less than 17 minutes per game AND shoot over 56% and a solid 82% from the line?  I forgot to mention he currently has a 21.2 PER.

If he would deny his player option of just under 4.3 million for next year, we could use the DPE on him.  We could also trade Yabusele and Nader for O'Quinn and use the DPE on Belinelli:-)

Thoughts?

Smitty77

Totally agree. Plus Brad attended O'Quinn's bar mitzvah when he was an assistant coach for the Butler Bulldogs back in 2003.  So there's a connection there.

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
but all versatile players are tweeners.

That is an absolute falsehood.   McHale was pretty versatile and no one would ever call him a tweener.   I doubt people call LeBron a tweener either.  I can think of plenty of versatile players that have size to play multiple positions.

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Tweener is a guy who's not good at any position.  Versatile guys are good at multiple positions.

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell

Thoughts?

Smitty77

Would you give him Baynes minutes?  or Theis?  Because that's his role.

And why would the Knicks trade him for Yabusele and Nader?