Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39281 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 06, 2018, 12:14:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It is wild to me that Semi can't get a shot to go down. All indications are he should be a better shooter. I don't get it.
Reminds me of RJ Hunter in that regard
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #301 on: October 06, 2018, 12:40:29 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Semi's biggest drawback is his lack of wingspan this hurts him going to the hoop and rebounding.
Has he got the yips or has he gotten musclebound his shot looks horrible .

« Reply #302 on: October 06, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It is wild to me that Semi can't get a shot to go down. All indications are he should be a better shooter. I don't get it.

It's crazy. We take guys people say can't shoot coming in and they shoot well in the NBA, we get guys that shot well or had the makings of a shooter/scorer in college and they look like poo. People still get on Danny for taking "poor shooters" but his formula may just be on the money lol. That or we need to get better shooting coaches!  :o
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #303 on: October 06, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Semi's biggest drawback is his lack of wingspan this hurts him going to the hoop and rebounding.
I think the lack of wingspan is the least of his problems.  Better physical tools (which you already rave about) wouldn’t improve his offensive game.  He can’t shoot, can’t pass, doesn’t know how to move without the ball, can’t handle the ball, and has no offensive IQ in general.  You could give him Mo Bamba’s arms and it wouldn’t change any of that.

« Reply #304 on: October 06, 2018, 07:51:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think the lack of wingspan is the least of his problems.  Better physical tools (which you already rave about) wouldn’t improve his offensive game.  He can’t shoot, can’t pass, doesn’t know how to move without the ball, can’t handle the ball, and has no offensive IQ in general.  You could give him Mo Bamba’s arms and it wouldn’t change any of that.
Picturing Mo Bamba’s rail thin arms on Semi’s massive body is hilarious
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #305 on: October 06, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
rename this thread

Semi's Can't Shoot a lick Thread

« Reply #306 on: October 06, 2018, 09:37:18 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
rename this thread

Semi's Can't Shoot a lick Thread

Yeah seems like Semi has taken a step back in progress.

« Reply #307 on: October 07, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
geez louise folks, semi was the seventh pick in the second round. last year he had real and valuable contributions to the team when injuries occurred. and so far we have only seen pre-season games.

let's be patient and see what he turns into after a few years.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #308 on: October 07, 2018, 12:04:46 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
He ia a role player calm down... we need just certain things feom him

« Reply #309 on: October 07, 2018, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
well, he was a pretty good shooter in college, averaging 41.5% on 3 pointers. so it is not as if he has never been a good shooter. the question is what has happened to him so far in the nba. and by so far in the nba i mean ONE SEASON of 73 games at 16 minutes per game.

i will once again play the role of the broken record...why not wait and see whether he develops before jumping to a conclusion on the entirety of his career as a professional?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #310 on: October 07, 2018, 04:17:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
well, he was a pretty good shooter in college, averaging 41.5% on 3 pointers. so it is not as if he has never been a good shooter. the question is what has happened to him so far in the nba. and by so far in the nba i mean ONE SEASON of 73 games at 16 minutes per game.

i will once again play the role of the broken record...why not wait and see whether he develops before jumping to a conclusion on the entirety of his career as a professional?
I think both Yabusele and Ojeleye have exactly one year to convince management they are ready to become prime time players because after the 2019 draft we could end up with a Cam Reddish or Nassir Little, Jontae Porter or Jaylen Hoarde and then a player at the end of the first round. This upcoming draft could seal the fate of a bunch of players on the Celtics bench, depending on which players the Celtics decide to keep out of Rozier, Morris, Theis, Bird, Yabusele, Wannamaker and Ojeleye

« Reply #311 on: October 07, 2018, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He actually wasn't that great of a shooter in college despite claims saying otherwise. He had one good shooting year in a weak conference, but he also played 2 seasons in the much tougher ACC where he shot 34.8%. That's not good when you consider the closer 3PT college line, but it's more indicative of his shooting ability when you factor in the level of competition.

You're also dismissive of the sample size of his "one NBA season", but that sample size is much larger than the one you use (his 1 season at SMU) to make a case that he can actually shoot. So the breakdown is as follows:

College
Duke FG% 37.5 - 3PT% 34.8   ACC - 23 games
SMU  FG% 48.7 - 3PT% 42.4   AAC - 35 games (huge difference in that one letter)

NBA
Regular season FG% 34.6 - 3PT% 32.0 - 73 games
Playoffs            FG% 30.3 - 3PT% 27.3 - 17 games

As you see, the lone season he had at SMU is an aberration when you consider his overall shooting during his past college and current NBA career. Another thing to factor in, besides the level of competition and shorter college 3PT line, is where were these shots coming from. Where they coming off-the dribble or was he spotting up? Perhaps Semi, who was likely SMU's best player, had the ball in his hands a lot and the majority of these shots were not coming on catch and shoot looks as he's getting on the Celtics and received as a bench player at Duke. It could be entirely possible that he not only has issues with the longer distance in the NBA, but isn't that good in catch and shoot. Jamal Crawford is a player that comes to mine that is a much better shooter off-the-dribble than he is on catch and shoots.

This preseason Semi finished with shooting percentages of 19% from the field and 17.6% from 3's. Not exactly encouraging when you think that's what he needed to work on during the summer and so far seems to have regressed (if possible) shooting the ball.

You preach patience and cite Bradley and Perkins as references. The problem with that comparison is that Perkins was 19 and never played college, while Bradley was 20 and played one season in college. Semi is turning 24 in less than 60 days.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:14:45 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #312 on: October 07, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Give Williams Semi's minutes.

« Reply #313 on: October 07, 2018, 11:20:44 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

He actually wasn't that great of a shooter in college despite claims saying otherwise. He had one good shooting year in a weak conference, but he also played 2 seasons in the much tougher ACC where he shot 34.8%. That's not good when you consider the closer 3PT college line, but it's more indicative of his shooting ability when you factor in the level of competition.

You're also dismissive of the sample size of his "one NBA season", but that sample size is much larger than the one you use (his 1 season at SMU) to make a case that he can actually shoot. So the breakdown is as follows:

College
Duke FG% 37.5 - 3PT% 34.8   ACC - 23 games
SMU  FG% 48.7 - 3PT% 42.4   AAC - 35 games (huge difference in that one letter)

NBA
Regular season FG% 34.6 - 3PT% 32.0 - 73 games
Playoffs            FG% 30.3 - 3PT% 27.3 - 17 games

As you see, the lone season he had at SMU is an aberration when you consider his overall shooting during his past college and current NBA career. Another thing to factor in, besides the level of competition and shorter college 3PT line, is where were these shots coming from. Where they coming off-the dribble or was he spotting up? Perhaps Semi, who was likely SMU's best player, had the ball in his hands a lot and the majority of these shots were not coming on catch and shoot looks as he's getting on the Celtics and received as a bench player at Duke. It could be entirely possible that he not only has issues with the longer distance in the NBA, but isn't that good in catch and shoot. Jamal Crawford is a player that comes to mine that is a much better shooter off-the-dribble than he is on catch and shoots.

This preseason Semi finished with shooting percentages of 19% from the field and 17.6% from 3's. Not exactly encouraging when you think that's what he needed to work on during the summer and so far seems to have regressed (if possible) shooting the ball.

You preach patience and cite Bradley and Perkins as references. The problem with that comparison is that Perkins was 19 and never played college, while Bradley was 20 and played one season in college. Semi is turning 24 in less than 60 days.
very good points. thanks for expanding the discussion and adding even more data. this does make me rethink my origin position and raises new questions. tp.  ;D
- Vandana Shiva