Author Topic: 2018 Red Sox Thread  (Read 48393 times)

Re: 2018 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Best record in the entire league as of May 31! (39-17)  ;D

And boy JD Martinez has been a godsend. (.322 BA, 18 HR, 47 RBI). He's been the bat we sorely missed last season and for the last two postseasons IMHO.

As expected, it's a tight two-way race between the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East, but dang the remaining three teams are already 10 games back or more... And hell, Baltimore is like 21 games back and it's still May...  :o
enjoy it while you can.  god knows I'm enjoying the current success of my Brewers with the best record in the National League.  I don't expect it to stay that way for long but early success is better than none.

The Brewers look really good this year. I think they are a playoff contender. The NL overall is very intriguing this year. Not like the AL where there's 3 contenders (NYY, HOU, BOS), 2 dark-horse contenders that *could* have a chance (SEA, LAA), but then the bottom three in the AL East and AL West aren't great, and the AL Central as a whole is extremely mediocre.

And boy JD Martinez has been a godsend. (.322 BA, 18 HR, 47 RBI). He's been the bat we sorely missed last season and for the last two postseasons IMHO.

As expected, it's a tight two-way race between the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East, but dang the remaining three teams are already 10 games back or more... And hell, Baltimore is like 21 games back and it's still May...  :o

They were in a bit of funk for a few weeks, playing "only" .500 ball, but they've taken flight again, and they look really good. For the last week or so Bradley, Nunez, and Leon have been hitting too, which makes their offense virtually unstoppable.

JD has indeed been the perfect addition to this team, just what they needed, and Betts has been awesome!

Yep, and the bullpen has been exceptional lately too! Kelly and Barnes have really stepped up since mid-April and Thornburg could come back sometime in June (and hopefully a rental reliever via trade sometime in July to bolster the pen even more).
TP for being one of the few people who didn't comment  "why the hell are you a Brewer fan" when I've discussed baseball.

Miller Park is pretty awesome.  Went up there a couple of years ago for a game.  Roof was open too. Love the tailgating aspect of it (growing up going to Fenway where its non-existent).  Nothing much better than enjoying a Cheddarwurst, a beer, and some pre-game cornhole in the parking lot.
This is just begging for an explanation because where I'm from that's a recipe for an indecent exposure arrest at a minimum   :o

used to be a diehard baseball fan before they cancelled the world series in 94.  haven't been to a game since.  One day I'll have to get out there for a game - something on my bucket list.  probably one of the few people who have going to Milwaukee as a bucket list item

Sorry, "Bags" as its called in some parts of the country.    Cornhole = Bags.
I feel like an idiot -- no idea what 'bags' is either.

Here you go.  You see it a ton at tailgates & breweries with patios.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

enjoy it while you can.  god knows I'm enjoying the current success of my Brewers with the best record in the National League.  I don't expect it to stay that way for long but early success is better than none.

The Brewers look really good this year. I think they are a playoff contender. The NL overall is very intriguing this year. Not like the AL where there's 3 contenders (NYY, HOU, BOS), 2 dark-horse contenders that *could* have a chance (SEA, LAA), but then the bottom three in the AL East and AL West aren't great, and the AL Central as a whole is extremely mediocre.

They were in a bit of funk for a few weeks, playing "only" .500 ball, but they've taken flight again, and they look really good. For the last week or so Bradley, Nunez, and Leon have been hitting too, which makes their offense virtually unstoppable.

JD has indeed been the perfect addition to this team, just what they needed, and Betts has been awesome!

Yep, and the bullpen has been exceptional lately too! Kelly and Barnes have really stepped up since mid-April and Thornburg could come back sometime in June (and hopefully a rental reliever via trade sometime in July to bolster the pen even more).
TP for being one of the few people who didn't comment  "why the hell are you a Brewer fan" when I've discussed baseball.

Miller Park is pretty awesome.  Went up there a couple of years ago for a game.  Roof was open too. Love the tailgating aspect of it (growing up going to Fenway where its non-existent).  Nothing much better than enjoying a Cheddarwurst, a beer, and some pre-game cornhole in the parking lot.
This is just begging for an explanation because where I'm from that's a recipe for an indecent exposure arrest at a minimum   :o

used to be a diehard baseball fan before they cancelled the world series in 94.  haven't been to a game since.  One day I'll have to get out there for a game - something on my bucket list.  probably one of the few people who have going to Milwaukee as a bucket list item

Sorry, "Bags" as its called in some parts of the country.    Cornhole = Bags.
I feel like an idiot -- no idea what 'bags' is either.

Here you go.  You see it a ton at tailgates & breweries with patios.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole
thanks!  I was familiar with that game but thought you were talking about something edible.  think I saw the reference to cheddarwurst and beer and got stuck with a one track mind

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2018, 03:09:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Craig Kimbrel with a nasty save. Puts two on with tough walks. Then strikeout, rude DP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2018, 05:39:46 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:40:43 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Lots of rumors circulating on Twitter about Hanley news about to come out...
Zolak mumbled something on the radio yesterday but wouldn't go into details. I think there's some sort of a story related to weed (selling weed?) but I don't know how Hanley figures into it.

There was a caller on WEEI today morning that had a story about some state trooper pulling Hanley's car (apparently Hanley wasn't in it), but he got cut off before he can finish (seems talk radio isn't interested in folks making accusations on air... I guess it's a liability thing).

That's what I've heard so far...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:40:57 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2018, 08:17:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rumor on 98.5 is that the car stop mentioned above led to an investigation into a fentanyl drug ring and Hanley's name has surfaced in regards to that. We will see but it has been 3-4 weeks since he was released and there has to be a reason absolutely no one is biting on signing him.

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 10:37:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Team says they were unaware of this case at the time of the release, and that Hanley was released for baseball reasons. Not that it matters one way or the other.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 11:41:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Team says they were unaware of this case at the time of the release, and that Hanley was released for baseball reasons. Not that it matters one way or the other.
I believe the Sox knew nothing about an investigation, but don't believe they released Hanley for baseball reasons.He got released to prevent Hanley from having enough ABs and triggering a $22 million extension.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 09:52:53 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
As a displaced New England native Now living in New York, I love what the Sox are doing tonight
:)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 10:23:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
It’s been a great week for the Red Sox. Love how they are playing right now.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2018, 11:04:35 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

They're on pace for 111 wins right now which would be tied for the fourth most in MLB history.

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2018, 11:04:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Crushing inferior teams.  Gotta take care of business.
Yup

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 12:00:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Absolutely! And given they play nothing but crap teams for about the next 3-4 weeks, it would be nice to put some distance between the Yanks and them.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 06:20:07 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Every team is inferior to the Red Sox at this point.
 :)
Celtics fan for life.