Author Topic: Will We Try to Stay Under the Tax Again?  (Read 2983 times)

Re: Will We Try to Stay Under the Tax Again?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
So the C’s are kicking the can down the road once again and people are ok with that? If you go into a season telling your roster there is no desire to win a title so just wait, how would the circumstances be any different than this past season? I can understand a plan but I cannot think the J’s would be content on another year of reshuffling.

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 05:55:32 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Going against the grain, I think they're highly likely to be a tax team this year as the whole purpose of the Theis salary dump was to reset the repeater clock. How much tax they're willing to pay is an entirely fair question, but I'd bet money they pay some.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 06:01:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I’m no capologist so forgive me if this is a dumb question. But, I read somewhere that the Kemba for Horford swap enabled the Cs to be in the running for a Max free agent next off season. 2022. If that’s true, wouldn’t signing Fournier eliminate that possibility?
They would have to cut Horford and eat the $14M guarantted on his contract.  If they don't cut him, he gets paid roughly twice that, so no Max FA in that case.

We can definitely get there if we stretch and waive Horford. He would count as less than $5M/yr over three years. Unfortunately, it means not re-signing Smart and TL, as well. I think it's pretty unlikely we move on from Horford, Smart, TL, and Fournier in the hopes of signing a max FA in 2022. As WW mentioned, a team who is going to lose said FA would probably like to take on a couple of those pieces in return, rather than get nothing for him.

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Going against the grain, I think they're highly likely to be a tax team this year as the whole purpose of the Theis salary dump was to reset the repeater clock. How much tax they're willing to pay is an entirely fair question, but I'd bet money they pay some.

I'm certainly not against the concept. I always thought it was extremely important for us to get under the tax this past season so that we can move forward with higher expectations. It's just that I'm not sure we are going to be able to do much. If Thompson is the difference between us being a tax team or not, I'd rather just take my chances without him and try again next year.

If, however, we are going use the $11M left on our TPE, trade Thompson/Smart for a max FA (whether in Moranis' example or in an upgrade), and use the full taxpayer MLE, then things could get quite exciting. There are a lot of options out there this offseason; I'm just not confident we are ready to take the plunge.

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 06:06:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It wouldn't surprise me to see them at around $140 million in salary.

Of course, I could also see them stay under the tax because the real goal would be to clear cap space for the 2022 and 2023 off-seasons and sign a free agent to have a star studded trio. In 2022 there is Steph Curry, Julius Randle, Zach Lavine Kawhi Leonard. In 2023 there is  Harden, Durant, Beal, Butler, LeBron, Jokic, Embiid.

Clearing cap space for those two off-seasons could be priority #1.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 06:26:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
What an amazing coup de grace it would be to sign Embiid away from Philly after everything else.

I suppose the question is whether Philly might have to consider trading him next summer if they're unable to right the ship for next season.
It will never happen but only god would that be hilarious to watch that meltdown. It would literally destroy 76ers fans forever.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
What an amazing coup de grace it would be to sign Embiid away from Philly after everything else.

I suppose the question is whether Philly might have to consider trading him next summer if they're unable to right the ship for next season.
It will never happen but only god would that be hilarious to watch that meltdown. It would literally destroy 76ers fans forever.
"Process, part 2"?  ;D
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 07:01:21 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I see the team planning the J's careers. It doesn't have anything to with anything except their careers. There is no other choice. The team sets up to spend all the money and torch the tax when the J's begin to peak and that is 2023 and 2024. You get your shot and there's your shot.

They don't need to go into the tax this season so why would you?
You're under the tax you've got expiring deals and your 2022 first round pick to make moves at the deadline if the east is wide open, but you don't mess with the ultimate which is to get the third max player next year or year after next and this time...he's the correct match for the J's.

Meanwhile, if Robert is healthy?

J's + Big Al + Robert and a top point guard? They will we be a 2 or 3 seed and under the tax this year.

You want to go over the tax? In two years you will be over the tax until Tatum retires, Wyc will have to get a side gig selling cars for Herb Chambers just to make ends meet.

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 07:17:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think Philadelphia would actually burn to the ground. Gifting us Jaylen Brown, taking Fultz over Tatum, and finally losing Embiid in free agency to Boston. Would be too much.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 09:52:38 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I think Philadelphia would actually burn to the ground. Gifting us Jaylen Brown, taking Fultz over Tatum, and finally losing Embiid in free agency to Boston. Would be too much.

Embiid would be pushing 30 by then, and a future injury to him would still scare me a little.    It would also be putting all your eggs in the free agent market.  I like Roy’s second plan better.