Author Topic: Athletic report on locker room problems  (Read 9564 times)

Re: Athletic report on locker room problems
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 12:37:34 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
There’s a lot that could be completely false here but there’s one thing that’s undeniable…..

The last 4 marquee players the Celtics have lured to Boston:

Al Horford:  opted out of his contract to sign with a division rival.

Gordon Hayward:  often injured, rumors his family hated Boston, wanted to leave, unhappiness with his role

Kyrie:  I really don’t need to write anything here.

Kemba Walker:  reportedly disgruntled and traded before his contract was up.

The fact was Al Horfords situation was head and shoulders above all else here is cringe worthy

…….not a great platform to leap off of when pitching to future free agents
Horford left because he got paid far more money than we could give him. Leaving that out is incredibly disingenuous.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2021, 12:42:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really think that so many of the issues the last few years with vets that the team has brought in on big money deals is that those guys came to Boston thinking the Celts would be their team and then it became quickly apparent that the Celts revolve first and foremost around Tatum and Brown, and to a lesser extent Smart and Stevens.

This was never going to be Kemba's team.  He was never going to be a centerpiece of the franchise.  Kemba was "the guy" in Charlotte for years, and I'm guessing it was jarring for him to go to a team that saw him as a complementary piece rather than a main guy who needed to be prioritized.

Hayward and Kyrie were obviously brought in with the idea that they would be central figures for the franchise, but for various reasons that never materialized and instead the team became oriented around Tatum and Brown.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 12:51:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Out of the list, only one of those I would consider marquee and he was traded for and that was Kyrie.  Now he is a total diva.

Gordon, Al and Kemba are allstars but a tier below in terms of talent

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 01:59:45 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
There’s a lot that could be completely false here but there’s one thing that’s undeniable…..

Gordon Hayward:  often injured, rumors his family hated Boston, wanted to leave, unhappiness with his role

The fact was Al Horfords situation was head and shoulders above all else here is cringe worthy

What’s the problem with the Horford situation? Did it end acrimoniously? I thought he chased the money, and it’s clear it wasn’t a good deal for either side (sounds as if Anna Horford hated everything about Philly).

The Hayward one was weird. The rest doesn’t surprise me, especially if the reports are even remotely true about how poorly Kemba took his rehab.

I think we are overlooking the ascension of Tatum/Brown. You can’t pay EVERYBODY. Obviously they couldn’t have signed all of Horford/Irving/Kemba, but I don’t think they could have kept Kyrie (even if he wanted to stay) AND Horford AND Hayward AND extend Brown & Tatum.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2021, 03:08:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it's clear that Horford and his family really like Boston.

I suspect that a big part of that is that Horford played exactly as large a role as he probably expected to play when he got here, he was never really floated in any trade rumors, and he was a key part of multiple deep playoff runs.

Kyrie never got to experience what it's like to be a central figure on a Boston team making a deep playoff run.  I have a feeling he might have ultimately felt differently about his time in Boston if that had been the case.  Same with Hayward.

Notable too that although Kemba was part of a deep playoff run with the Celtics, that run took place in the bubble without any fans.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 07:20:26 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Bill Simmons is saying Kemba didn't do his rehab. Anybody know anything about that?

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/kemba-walker-knee-rehab/

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 07:29:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bill Simmons is saying Kemba didn't do his rehab. Anybody know anything about that?

Danny, Stevens and Kemba all said he was doing his rehab and exercises, and nothing like this was reported at the time. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 07:44:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Danny, Stevens and Kemba all said he was doing his rehab and exercises, and nothing like this was reported at the time.
Also vaguely remember Grant Williams lived with Kemba for a while. Feel like if Kemba was ignoring his rehab someone as percipient as Grant (for all his on-court flaws) would have noticed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 07:56:10 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Out of the list, only one of those I would consider marquee and he was traded for and that was Kyrie.  Now he is a total diva.

Gordon, Al and Kemba are allstars but a tier below in terms of talent

Then feel free to choose a different word than marquee.  At the time, these players were in the top tier of available free agents, that’s the point
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:04:28 PM by greg683x »
Greg

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2021, 08:03:52 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

What’s the problem with the Horford situation? Did it end acrimoniously? I thought he chased the money, and it’s clear it wasn’t a good deal for either side (sounds as if Anna Horford hated everything about Philly).

The Hayward one was weird. The rest doesn’t surprise me, especially if the reports are even remotely true about how poorly Kemba took his rehab.

I think we are overlooking the ascension of Tatum/Brown. You can’t pay EVERYBODY. Obviously they couldn’t have signed all of Horford/Irving/Kemba, but I don’t think they could have kept Kyrie (even if he wanted to stay) AND Horford AND Hayward AND extend Brown & Tatum.

Perhaps I’m having selective memory here, I certainly could be.

Yes Al chased the money.  It’s the way he left is what I felt rubbed people the wrong way.  If I remember correctly he negotiated this deal with Philly before free agency began, and basically blind sided us with it, leaving us little to no time to react.

Again, my memory could be over exaggerating the truth, but I just remember when Al initially opted out of his deal, most people were expecting him to want to stay and sign a more team friendly deal for more years and stay.

No it’s not awful.  The point is though, from an outsiders perspective, it can appear that all four of those guys came here and then got the hell out at first opportunity
Greg

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2021, 08:21:47 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997

Yeah sounds like what Simmons is saying is a bunch of nonsense.  I can't think of any good reasons Kemba why wouldn't do his rehab routine.  First and foremost the risk of sabotaging his own career by risking recurrent injury to said knee.  He's not exactly known to be lazy either.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2021, 08:59:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Could be related to comments Kemba made about not doing all the rehab on schedule and even starting late due to covid stuff coming up again and again. There were questions on if it was really Covid or Kemba by a few media so he must have missed at least some rehab.

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2021, 09:16:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

not sure...but I buy what MacMullan and Simmons say ... most of the time

They were one of the first ones who stated Danny might be on his way out/retire

Ended up happening

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2021, 09:17:54 PM »

Kiorrik

not sure...but I buy what MacMullan and Simmons say ... most of the time

They were one of the first ones who stated Danny might be on his way out/retire

Ended up happening

Yeh ... it's tricky. Broken clocks and all.

Not saying they're hardly ever correct, just saying they might be wrong too sometimes.

I dislike this part of the sport. The rumour mill sucks for pretty much everyone involved.

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2021, 09:33:31 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
I don’t see Kemba as a malcontent of any kind. He’s just a classic case of a guy that has played too many minutes and who’s body is breaking down. Happens with the majority of small PGs. C’s acquired damaged goods, just the truth of it.