Author Topic: Brad on the Kemba trade  (Read 4114 times)

Re: Brad on the Kemba trade
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 04:29:06 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Keep making the hard decisions Brad !

Cut loose the junk on the bench and get some experience vets that can contribute and make up a nice second core .

We have to many D leaguers riding the bench .

Yes please!

Frankly, I would keep Pritchard, Jabari, TT and Timelord.  MAYBE Nesmith, as I like the energy he plays with and his upside as a shooter.  The rest I'm happy to send packing.

No way on Nesmith. He is going to be a solid starter soon. EXCELLENT defense, and obviously after his super cold start he became lethal from 3.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 06:35:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Well at least Brad is showing he has some ice in his veins, but also some compassion.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Brad on the Kemba trade..
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 10:03:53 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
"Al can move the needle," Stevens said. "Al had a good year in Oklahoma City -- obviously didn't play a ton of games, but statistically had a year that obviously applies across the board. I think that sometimes the ability to space, pass, play in different ways and play in different coverages at the other end, be able to play with other bigs or as the lone 5 I think is something that ... he just has a wealth of experience."
Loses his train of thought there but I like what he is saying.

There is some contributions that Horford makes that are not well picked up by stats but that do add a lot to a team in making them better. That ability to play outside and open up the paint. To facilitate the offense with his passing and shooting. And then the defensive versatility to play against all and any who the team shall meet.

It is nicely put "the ability to play in space, pass, play in different ways". I like that.

It is undervalued. That is what I think he was getting at. Those skills are undervalued (especially for a big man) and they are.
He's also really developed 'sage-level' tricks on that end of the floor: for example he uses different coverages against the same team in the PnR depending on who's running the action - he loves to sag off of players who can't really shoot, but either hedges hard or switches onto the ballhandler if the latter is a capable pullup practitioner. He's gotten really good at goading defenders to make bad decisions and I feel that might power him to an All-Star calibre campaign next season.

TP for the analysis. Al is the perfect glue guy and I can’t wait to see him play with Tatum+Brown. He’s going to get them some good looks on offense and I wouldn’t be surprised if Horford’s assist average reaches a career high this coming season. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 10:42:40 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 11:07:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So from the last three interviews I get from BS the following; he feels team needs more development and has to be built around the wings (Jays). He feels having flexibility is important as expects another deal/signing coming in the near future. He talked about adding a pick since they gave one up to help future deals, maybe there is a draft day trade for a pick or something for 2023 he is working on. Overall don't feel he is building to win this year but setting something up for next year or trade deadline.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 12:25:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is only somewhat related, but does anybody know if the trade will be finalized before the draft...or is it already finalized? Stevens talked a bit about future draft picks and flexibility, but if we make the trade before the draft, then we won't be able to deal the 2022 pick due to the Stepien rule. It would seem to make the most sense to finalize the trade on draft night after the Cs select for OKC.

We can deal our 2022 first on our after draft night.  It’s not a huge restriction.

Yep, you're right. It does only apply to consecutive picks in future drafts. I was confused by all of the deals that take place on draft night after a pick is made. Perhaps those are mostly teams who already traded their pick for the next year.

Because the Stepien rule applies only to future draft picks, teams are still permitted to trade their first-rounders each year if they so choose, but they can’t trade out of the first round for back-to-back future drafts.

For instance, since the Nuggets have traded their 2020 first-round pick to Oklahoma City, they aren’t currently permitted to trade their 2021 first-rounder. Following the 2020 draft, the Nuggets would regain the right to trade that 2021 first-round pick, since their ’20 first-rounder will no longer be considered a future pick.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 06:38:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
More from Brad on Al Horfords role:

“For instance, Tristan’s ability to switch and Tristan’s ability to rebound allows him to play with a spacer like Al, who also has a lot of flexibility,” Stevens said. “Rob’s ability to play in the dunker and hitting Al in the seams and playing with the lob game gives you flexibility. Those are things we’ll have to figure out. That won’t be as much my decision once those times come, once the roster is set. Then I’ll be out of that. Then whoever the coach is can figure out how they want to utilize everybody.”

“Rob is a guy that really wants to be good,” Stevens said. “He is a listener — he wants to improve. He’ll lean on every word Al says, obviously, and they can make each other better.

“With those guys and Tristan and Moses, and we still have Tacko [Fall] on his contract — we have a lot of decisions to make but also a lot of flexibility. You’re talking about some really good players at that position. We’ll see how it all shakes itself out.”

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 07:11:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

“For instance, Tristan’s ability to switch and Tristan’s ability to rebound allows him to play with a spacer like Al, who also has a lot of flexibility,” Stevens said. “Rob’s ability to play in the dunker and hitting Al in the seams and playing with the lob game gives you flexibility. Those are things we’ll have to figure out. That won’t be as much my decision once those times come, once the roster is set. Then I’ll be out of that. Then whoever the coach is can figure out how they want to utilize everybody.”

“Rob is a guy that really wants to be good,” Stevens said. “He is a listener — he wants to improve. He’ll lean on every word Al says, obviously, and they can make each other better.

“With those guys and Tristan and Moses, and we still have Tacko [Fall] on his contract — we have a lot of decisions to make but also a lot of flexibility. You’re talking about some really good players at that position. We’ll see how it all shakes itself out.”

Sorry, Tristan's ability to switch? Huh? He didn't look very good defending the perimeter to me.

I do appreciate that Brad realises that none of what he's saying means much in regards to who might play with who, given he's not the coach. I for one dread the idea of seeing TT and Horford on the floor together. Two slow-footed plodders.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 07:16:35 PM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47

Sorry, Tristan's ability to switch? Huh? He didn't look very good defending the perimeter to me.

I do appreciate that Brad realises that none of what he's saying means much in regards to who might play with who, given he's not the coach. I for one dread the idea of seeing TT and Horford on the floor together. Two slow-footed plodders.

That strikes me as a "butter 'em up" statement.