Author Topic: Half baked trade idea  (Read 10202 times)

Re: Half baked trade idea
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2021, 07:05:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I heard on the 98.5 that Nets management is not happy with Kyrie. Obviously, a trade idea like this would have to be "approved" by Durant. This past season, may have shown Durant just how unreliable Kyrie was to the team.

Nets - Ben Simmons
Philly - Kyrie Irving
interesting.  would love to see how Kyrie reacts to Philly fans if he couldn't take the heat in Boston.

If it did happen, the Nets front court would be Durant (6'10"), Simmons (6'11"), and Jordan (6'11"). BTW, Durant and Simmons are ultra unique big men with their size in how they can move like guards. And their both good defenders, especially Simmons.
That would be trouble. There'd be no pressure on Simmons to shoot next to Harden and Durant, which is good for him.

However, Simmons would have to take a major backseat in terms of usage
But with two major usage guys, would Simmons, who thrives with the ball in his hands and is a liability as a shooter when others are dominating the ball even be a player Brooklyn would look at if they were trading Kyrie? If Kyrie is being moved, I gotta think a star that can shoot has to be coming back. Or a genuine high quality center.
I think he'd be okay in a Draymond-type role there. Very limited demands for him offensively beyond greasing the wheels for the other stars, but is allowed free reign defensively.

The main difference between he and Draymond is mental though, so he might flounder.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2021, 10:53:14 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Thinking about it more, even though I believe Simmons would be great for this Celtics team, Toronto seems like the perfect scenario for all involved.

Toronto can perform a sign and trade with Lowry who would be exactly the leader and style of guard the 76ers need. Toronto could throw in OG Anunoby with a future protected 1st round pick and that should be enough for a tough negotiator like Morey.

In Toronto you have perhaps the best player development coaches in the league and being in Canada, on a retooling team, there will be very little pressure on Simmons.

Raptors with Simmons, VanVleet, Suggs (most likely), Siakam, Boucher and Trent Jr as building pieces can return to being competitive now and perhaps start to contend in a few years.

Embiid
Harris
Anunoby
Green
Lowry

Curry
Thybulle
Maxey

That rotation for Philly should be in contention with the Nets for favourite in the East.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 12:10:58 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2021, 02:35:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thinking about it more, even though I believe Simmons would be great for this Celtics team, Toronto seems like the perfect scenario for all involved.

Toronto can perform a sign and trade with Lowry who would be exactly the leader and style of guard the 76ers need. Toronto could throw in OG Anunoby with a future protected 1st round pick and that should be enough for a tough negotiator like Morey.

In Toronto you have perhaps the best player development coaches in the league and being in Canada, on a retooling team, there will be very little pressure on Simmons.

Raptors with Simmons, VanVleet, Suggs (most likely), Siakam, Boucher and Trent Jr as building pieces can return to being competitive now and perhaps start to contend in a few years.

Embiid
Harris
Anunoby
Green
Lowry

Curry
Thybulle
Maxey

That rotation for Philly should be in contention with the Nets for favourite in the East.
Lol....just throw in Anunoby!

At this point, if I wanted one of either Simmons or OG to join the Jays, it would be Anunoby. He isn't the type of player you just throw in to close a deal.

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2021, 08:02:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why would Toronto help a conference rival?

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
Relevant here also in addition to PG topic, my take:
If the Celtics ever want to run a fast break offence again, it will never happen with Marcus Smart, Smart is too slow, make too many dumb decisions and he thinks he's a weapon on offence, which he is not. The way Marcus plays feeds into ISO ball, which is what we are trying NOT to do.  I would trade him if possible for a Lonzo Ball type, Big, pass first, move the ball guard.

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Embiid
Harris
Anunoby
Green
Lowry

Curry
Thybulle
Maxey

Lol....just throw in Anunoby!

At this point, if I wanted one of either Simmons or OG to join the Jays, it would be Anunoby. He isn't the type of player you just throw in to close a deal.
I think his point was Simmons is a lot more valuable than Lowry at this point in their careers, so Toronto would need to include more to make it work.  Of course I don't think Philly can acquire anyone by sign and trade as they are going to be well into the tax next year so it is pretty much a moot point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2021, 08:51:01 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Half baked trade idea 2.0

Celtics: Hayward, 2021 #11th pick

Hornets: Thompson, Fournier (S+T), Smart

* Note this is obviously predicated on Hayward's issues were with Ainge, thus he'd want to return with Horford back being key too and Hayward can essentially have more of the ball without Walker or Smart.

Does this trade idea need more time in the oven or is it passable?

Celtics: Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Dunn (MLE) Bench: Prichard, Williams III, Nesmith, Langford, Giddey (11th pick), Williams
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 08:58:17 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2021, 09:44:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

* Note this is obviously predicated on Hayward's issues were with Ainge, thus he'd want to return with Horford back being key too and Hayward can essentially have more of the ball without Walker or Smart.

Celtics: Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Dunn (MLE) Bench: Prichard, Williams III, Nesmith, Langford, Giddey (11th pick), Williams

Without going into the merits, I don't see a scenario in which Fournier would accept a trade to the Hornets.

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2021, 07:55:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Oh, it's baked all right, well-toasted.  Given that you posted this idea on Saturday night, I can only assume that YOU were baked when you came up with it.  8)

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2021, 09:31:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
whether his issues were with Ainge or whatever, why would Boston want to acquire him for that contract and him getting hurt yet again.  Even with the 11th pick I don't see the point in using Thompson, Smart, and Fournier that way
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2021, 10:15:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would rather have Terry back than Gordon.   Gordon did not want to stay here and left, why would you want him back?  CBS  is no longer here so he would be even less motivated.  This isn't half baked it is full baked....